Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 6:47:37 PM on 12/10/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Webmasters
 Web Hosting with XP Pro at Home
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  2:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As much as I love the Windows 2003 IIS 6 server vales.com currently resides on, I can't pay the $100 a month for it so I have to cancel it.

XP Pro comes with a IIS 5.1 server so I installed it on my home PC, that is the main reason it's called Pro by the way...

It is not that hard to set up but what I found out the hard way many ISP's now block many ports to your PC as in this example of my providers policy:

As you can see COX blocks port 80, the default port for HTTP, to my home connection.
The trick here is you can't just pick any different port to use.
I tried :79 and :81 and both FireFox and IE 6 balked at displaying the page to "Protect Me" from a potential "bad site".

To get around this blocking I used port :8080

Neither my ISP or common browsers balk at that.
Here is the catch...

If you want to change a port to use you have to list that port in the IP address, for example my sister-in-laws little web site.

http://68.230.37.119:8080/KarlasTouch to get to her web page directory on my server.

That's an ugly URL, and where DNS servers come in handy.
I use GoDaddy because it gives you total control of how and where anything goes.
You have to put that :8080 in the redirect address.

In this example, http://KarlasTouch.com goes to my home server as well, but your address line says KarlasTouch.com and all the rest is transparent.

CONS of trying to host vales.com at home:

Bandwidth of course. I'll max what I can get here but it's not going to be near as fast as it is today, and excruciatingly slow at busy times.

I'll have to keep my PC running 24-7 and suffer the slow down here as we surf as well.

Potential hack attacks on my PC but I think I have that figured out.
It's only IIS 5.1, but I already got all the updates for it.

PROS of trying to host vales.com at home:

About $70 to $80 a month less to pay even after I max the home internet back to where it was.

Everything for all my web sites is already here on my PC, it won't be the ordeal of moving from one co-hosted server to another.

I can update/edit anything I want right here on my machine with my tools and the changes are instant, no UL/DL to the server BS.
Handy when dealing huge databases like my game forums.

I put the whole IIS web area on it's own 90GB disk partition.
That means I can virus check/defrag/whatever I want with it in background at the slowest use times, and I can put back up all the files that didn't make it from the last move.

All I needed was a buck a month from all 100 frequent users to stay on the fast server.
I have only brought in about $50 this whole year so far.

So be it. My sites will still be fun and functional, they just won't be fast or 100% reliable in the near future.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  3:21:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I swear my curiosity killed this cat's morning again. (Sorry somewhat off topic)

I keep expecting to catch my adsl provider doing the same sneaky stuff cable seems to do but Ill be damed if I did not come up empty again.

After sales, support, and repair all basically said hugh, "we do not treat customers like that." About any bandwidth, block/filter issues or problems and a dedicated server downloading full speed 24/7 forever is fine I thought this time I got that dam mouse. grrr

my providers static IP plan
Terms of service
AT&T acceptable use policy

As far as I can tell the ports for email are though.

Should have learned after the last time when when I asked why their speed test showed .1 below the advertised speed and then could not get them to leave it alone.

Still can hardly believe I got a $100 credit and they replaced some $30,000 hub over that. LOL
(Sorry other 299 customers)

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  08:45:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With DSL you have your own pipe.
You get X amount per your plan and it won't affect any other users.

With cable you get X amount per your plan but it does affect others.
The common neighborhood cable pipe is bigger, but they over-sale it's capacity to Y number of users.
How much they over-sale is hard to say, but suffice it say if everyone was maxing at the same time the system would drop to a crawl.

What they try to do is let everyone get very good speeds for brief periods throughout the day and for the most part it works pretty good, but if you drop a bunch of busy servers, especially file sharing server on the same pipe everyone would suffer.

So what is your plan like Wheel?
UL/DL speed and cost?

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  3:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, it's coming along...
I have an access database up and running on it.

http://68.230.37.119:8080/guest

It's just a simple guestbook but it's another hurdle.
A side benefit I hadn't considered having the site right here on my server is I can just double-click an Access database and edit it right on the spot, same for .asp pages with Front Page, no UL/DL because it's already here ;-}

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  4:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's never been the least expensive provider but hands down no other business that I have delt with takes care of there customers so well. Especially the reliability and customer care could not have been better over the last twenty years or so could not have been better.
I don't want to sound like I am trying to make a statement there. But the worst complaint I can think of is that the absolutely no advertising rule disappeared (embedded a ad in the home page) when Pacific Bell bought AT&T.

quote:
UL/DL speed and cost?

I used to have the plan called "Pro" until I realized the only difference would be the cost and downgraded to the basic plan.

This is it:AT&T High Speed Internet Express $25.00 no terms
Downstream Speed: Up to 1.5 Mbps
Upstream Speed: Up to 384 Kbps
IP Address: 1 Dynamic

Actually my ADSL speeds "capped" at 3.1Mbps/500Kbps based on the distance and quality. My line is as clean as it gets so the slower dload speeds not slower (after I asked them to adjust the cap) and the faster plan would only be faster uploading. Every speed test I have run shows over the years shows my cap too.

Thats mainly because my line can not get any shorter unless I move. (Not even a bridge tap left)

whew long winded. lol

Go to Top of Page

Woody
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  4:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have to agree on ATT's service. I've been with them for quite awhile and outside of a SNAFU when I moved 6 months ago service has been excellent. I moved in to a new house and since it was new construction the street address was also new and it wasn't in the system anywhere. It took them nearly a month to get it straightened out.

The only really bad experience I ever had was when I first got DSL and had some connection problems when playing EVO, the first guy I talked to on tech support was probably some idiot in a cubicle in India. Once I got someone that had a clue he straightened things out right away.

I have the "Elite" plan that has downloads at 6.0 Mbps and uploads at 768 Kbps. It is $35 per month.

Reality is for those that cant handle video games.
Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  4:45:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On time I thought it would be funny and told the trouble ticket follow up call person no when asked if I was satisfied. Boy was that a mistake.

All I said was NO, then I laughed and said I was just kidding around and really was 100% satisfied with everything.

Then I spent about 20 minutes trying to convince him nothings wrong and both the work and the service could not be any better before he would hang up.

Then I get a call from management someone. This guys ready to take some body's head off and needs to be convinced there was no problem. Another 20 minutes.

Phone rings again and its some regional person and another 20 minutes. Plus I chat with this guy for a long time after that.

Geeze that was all in one afternoon.

Turns out that would have been all it takes to ruin any chance to advance for that guy who actually did his job perfect.

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  5:16:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what the heck is a "main hub"? Anyone know?

Here is what I know:
I got something in the mail that said 300 customers would be disconnected for at least 12 hours to replace it.
My service was dead from 8am to 8pm.
It takes a crew to replace it.
Its not what they call office equipment, the switch gear or a B-box.
I'm under 2-1/2 wire miles away.
Field techs all say IDK, its to far over there head.
Its expensive hardware.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  08:30:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's the providers connection to the internet backbone.
You connect direct to the provider in their building.
That building takes all their connections and puts it out the actual internet backbone.
The "main hub" does that.

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  3:40:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you KC.

I have been looking for the last piece to that puzzle for a long time.

Go to Top of Page

HoopsTGG
Good Poster

56 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2009 :  1:54:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent. I will have to try this some time. I have been trying to figure this out, but I have been having a hard time. If I'm not mistaken, this supports app.NET, right?

Actually I just realized the issue here. This means that the computer would have to remain on wouldn't it? That won't work because only my laptop has XP Pro, and it only charges about 1/4 of the time it's plugged in.

BTW if anybody want' a free domain, check this site: http://www.freedomain.co.nr/
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  09:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HoopsTGG

BTW if anybody want' a free domain, check this site: http://www.freedomain.co.nr/
(just shakes head)

.NR stands for the Island of Nauru - a tiny island in the Pacific ocean, that is also an independent state.

Did you read the requirements for the "free" DNS?
http://www.freedomain.co.nr/signup_basic.php

They will take it away if there is two months of inactivity.
You MUST place a link to them on your web pages.
And it's just a DNS you don't really own, no web space or anything, which is usual, but who knows what they will do with your info and e-mail address.

You can OWN a .info domain name for $3 a year and point it anywhere you want, or a .com for $10 a year, from http://GoDaddy.com and NONE of the BS that obscure .co.nr thing demands.

Handy if you have some long obscure freewebs page redirection I suppose, but if you are going to make and host a web site, stay FAR AWAY from anything that says free.
If it's not registered with ICANN with your name, it's not yours.

Just a tip from someone that's been doing this a long time ;-}

But back to XP Pro hosting...

I'm pretty sure IIS 5 supports .net but I'm not sure, I do .asp, .htm pages, and MS Access Database stuff, and it does that just dandy ;-}

And yes, if you are going to use a box at home you would want it on all the time. If it's not on then the user gets a DNS Not Found browser error.

Go to Top of Page

HoopsTGG
Good Poster

56 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  1:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WELL YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T NEED A WEBSITE IF YOU DON'T GET ACTIVITY ONCE EVERY TWO MONTHS!

ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON'T EVEN GO ON!
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  06:40:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehehe, correct ;-}

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic