Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 3:14:08 AM on 12/12/2018?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Webmasters
 .asp in linux?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

motoman_dd
Better Poster
MY PC

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2009 :  10:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Send motoman_dd an AOL message  Click to see motoman_dd's MSN Messenger address  Send motoman_dd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey all ive recently made a new web server (deric.mine.nu) and i want to run a forum on it, phpbb doesnt work right, so i tried snitz, but snitz uses .asp, and my server doesnt support it. i have php, but i dont have .asp, does anyone know of a good .asp for linux? or any other forum that uses .htm or .html?

4ever and ever!

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2009 :  10:27:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe this would help?

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

"Microsoft Compatible API
Run ASP.NET, ADO.NET, and Windows.Forms 2.0 applications without recompilation
"

Don't know if ASP.NET is the same thing or similar.

And here's some other possibilities, courtesy of Mr. Google:

CLICK HERE for more potential solutions

Note that I have seen both yes and no responses to the question, so a little investigating of these links on your part would be a good move. Some say you can run .ASP, but it's not idea for forum-type applications. You decide.

Go to Top of Page

motoman_dd
Better Poster
MY PC

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2009 :  5:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Send motoman_dd an AOL message  Click to see motoman_dd's MSN Messenger address  Send motoman_dd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
im thinking of switching to windows server instead, but did you try that link? i got people that say it works, and some not lol

thanks anyway

4ever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2009 :  6:25:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I tried it of course. That's why I said MAYBE it would help. You might be one of those who were successful, or not. No way for me to tell otherwise until YOU tried it first.

People saying a particular software package doesn't work on their PC are a dime-a-dozen, so to speak. There's just too many possible hardware (and software) combinations to cover every possible configuration.

Ah well...You're welcome, anyway.

Go to Top of Page

motoman_dd
Better Poster
MY PC

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2009 :  7:12:27 PM  Show Profile  Send motoman_dd an AOL message  Click to see motoman_dd's MSN Messenger address  Send motoman_dd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
lol (nothing to say xD)

4ever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3053 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2009 :  07:56:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.asp and asp.net are not the same.

Apache has an .asp plugin.
I have never tried it, I run windows server.

If you want a forum that means a database.
You can't do that in html.

.php pages use a form of Peral for doing the back end processing of the database, usually MySQL but it supports others.

.asp pages use Visual Basic Script for the back end work, and works with MySQL as well as Access Database.

If you plan to really get into databases then select your forum platform from the DB you like.
If not, get PHPbb to work.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page

FaustKnight
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2011 :  11:18:56 PM  Show Profile  Click to see FaustKnight's MSN Messenger address  Send FaustKnight a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a linux LAMP administrator for a living, mono works, but isn't very reliable and is a PITA to set up correctly.

If you absolutely need asp/asp.net your best option is a windows server. Or to stick with linux check out vBulletin or phpbb. What problems are you having with phpbb?

XPS M1710: Windows MCE/WindowBlinds XP
3D Mark 2005 10,275 - 3D Mark 2006 5,746
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000