Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 9:06:14 PM on 10/23/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Software
 What software do you use for cleaning/maintaining?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ragefit
Been Around a Bit
MY PC

44 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2009 :  9:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(I looked and I felt this topic most belonged here, if not, please move it)
What programs do you guys use to clean/maintain your computer?
(Specifically freeware, but if you have one that isn't freeware that you think was worth the cost, please post it)

A program that I use nearly daily is CCleaner (Crap Cleaner)
It is a simple to use free program.
It has a hard drive cleaner, registry cleaner, add/remove programs utility, startup utility, and a system restore manager. I find it very useful.

A program that I use also almost daily is Eusing Free Registry Cleaner. I find that it cleans much better than the one CCleaner has in it. This is also freeware. Although, when you start it it will ask for you to register it. (it's mostly just a donation)

Another program I use is Auslogics Disk Difragger. It is like the one in windows, but I think it is better.
Auslogics also offers a program called BoostSpeed. I have used it before, and I like it. It has many features that I don't remember off the top of my head.

I think that is all I use regularly. I think I have much more than that on my old computer that I don't remember.

outbackshaq
Better Poster
MY PC

Canada
380 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2009 :  12:23:38 AM  Show Profile  Click to see outbackshaq's MSN Messenger address  Send outbackshaq a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I figure if windows already has it, and it works, then theres no point in getting more to fill up the space on your computer. I just use disc defrag, I manually clean the registry, I remove all my programs on my own, I dunno if vista has a startup manager, but I know I customized that, and I don't have a restore point. but my only third party program which is my absolute favorite is "End it All" which KC has on the programs page www.vales.com/programs. it ends all the background progrmas your computer has in the background, and leaves the useful ones only. you can protect the opens you wanna keep open, and it will remember that.

There's always a work around ;)
Go to Top of Page

Stalkerrob
MY PC

Canada
555 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2009 :  07:01:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i recommend Tune up utilitys 2009 and spybot sdk. spybot is for adware and 100% free Tune up isnt although you can find it for free if you look in the right places. :P

Go to Top of Page

[RCG]Balthazar
Administrator
MY PC

Norway
489 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2009 :  12:51:07 PM  Show Profile  Click to see [RCG]Balthazar's MSN Messenger address  Send [RCG]Balthazar a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
AdAware is also loved by many..www.lavasoftusa.com

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2009 :  1:48:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I try my best to avoid the need to do anything even related to remove/repair/reinstall or poor maintenance.

Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2009 :  9:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like outbackshaq, I use WIndow's own defrag, and other clean=ups I do myself.

For my registry I use Regcleaner, available for free on many sites (search via Google).

The first time you run it, select the OPTIONS menu, then select "Registry Cleaner", then "Method", then choose AUTOMATIC.

Now to use it, open the TOOLS menu, select "Registry Cleaner", then "DO THEM ALL".

The program will find all INVALID entries and remove them, then show you a list of IGNORED entries. Be careful if you try to remove any ignored stuff. To play it safe, just let the program remove the invalid stuff and then exit.

Don't be afraid if you see a lot of invalid entries the first time, or if you haven't used the program in awhile. Windows accumulates a lot of just over time.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2009 :  06:26:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pretty much just us windows defrag and Spybot Search and Destroy once a month.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page

boom50cal
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
248 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2009 :  10:43:14 AM  Show Profile  Click to see boom50cal's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use RevoUninstaller's Junk File Cleaner in the tools button. First time I ran it, Like 2 years of PC use, I got like 20GBs of junk to delete. I use it almost daily or weekly now. I got Vista set to defrag every Wednesday morning at 3 AM and then restart. Really cool freeware. Scans your HD and registry for leftover junk after you uninstall. No relations to the Evo2 mod.... But it can uninstaller it nicely
http://www.revouninstaller.com/

If it's broke FIX it. If it's not broke, OVERCLOCK it. If OVERCLOCKING breaks it, get ready to buy a new one
Go to Top of Page

[RCG]Balthazar
Administrator
MY PC

Norway
489 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2009 :  12:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Click to see [RCG]Balthazar's MSN Messenger address  Send [RCG]Balthazar a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Lokks like a great little app.
Removed 1.2 gigs of mostly thumbs.db files in no time.

Go to Top of Page

boom50cal
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
248 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  2:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Click to see boom50cal's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Try uninstalling something with it. 4 different modes on uninstallation. I usually use just moderate unless I'm uninstalling a huge program. I did advance on BF2 to remove all of the junk so I could do a completely fresh install. Took about 25 minutes but there wasn't any traces of BF2 left.

If it's broke FIX it. If it's not broke, OVERCLOCK it. If OVERCLOCKING breaks it, get ready to buy a new one
Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  3:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Balthazar that was 24 times whats on my PC after 3 years. 8)

But Windows will just replace them when you open the folders right?

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  10:27:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thumbs files are created whenever you view a folder in Thumbnail view, hence pics.
I like 'em ;-}

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  1:24:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Preferences to I believe. Or at least if the explorer setting is enabled.
Only a few of my folders are set to use thumbnails and most of my PC's thumbs files are small and the same size.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  09:09:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I run classic Detail view for folders as default, but thumbnails are nice when looking for a pic.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000