Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 12:33:34 PM on 12/12/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Computer Specific Topics
 Free Faster PC part II
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  12:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Faster Boot, Faster OS Response, Faster Storage, Faster Processing, Faster FASTER GIVE ME FASTER!

Yes faster is better.
The bottlenecks always changes with new tech, but for our purpose I will stick to higher end fast enthuses machines for everything, not just gaming or benchmark scores.

The “boot” drive with the OS speed was meaningless just a few years ago, back then the OS loaded into system memory and always ran from there.

Note that this is for XP only, if you run Vista try here:
http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/ad_hoc/faq/performance.html
If you run 7, I don't know yet.

With Windows came the Page File, aka the Disc Cache of Memory, so drive speed became more important.
It still is today for data transfer volume and speed, but with gobs of fast memory in PC’s now you don’t need to wait for a disc operation for the function to say resize a window, open a new program or close one, load a driver, or any OS function.

Just load XP and all of your drivers directly into your RAM on boot and run from there.
It just won’t get any faster even with an SSD, Raid, SAS, or SCSI HD boot.
The best you can now with RAID is a little over 100MB/s, but RAM is closer to 1GB/s read speed and saves wear on the drive.

This is only tested on XP, and it requires a Registry Edit, so beware rookies.
It also requires at least 2GB of RAM, more of course is better, so put it to real use and not just sitting around waiting for you to load something else.

Paging File
Open the regedit tool (Start -> Run -> regedit.exe )

Use the navigation in the left and go to:
HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

Double click the DisablePagingExecutive attribute, and put 1 in the decimal value field.
0=Use HD Paging File
1=Load OS and Driver into RAM

This will make your Hardware Drivers and the XP kernel run in RAM memory always.
If you have over 2GB of RAM this a no-brainer as it makes all of XP faster.

Cache
Double click the LargeSystemCache attribute in the same page above, and put 1 in the decimal value field.
0=Disable LSC.
1= Enable.
The "LargeSystemCache" registry entry forces XP to allocate up to all but 4MB of system memory, that is system memory not available RAM, to the file system cache.

The remaining system memory is used for disk caching, though XP will allocate more memory if it is needed in RAM rather than stored on disk.
Too see this change in action, make the change and re-boot.
Then open your demanding app like a high end game or MS Office, let it load, then close it.
Now, open it again and see how fast it loads, it will run that fast too.

I/O Memory
If you have a lot of I/O devices like USB, HD’s, etc and they seem to slow down after the above tweaks, then allocate a little dedicated memory to the I/O controller.

Double click the IOPageLockLimit attribute. On some later versions of windows XP that doesn’t exists, so if this is the case you’re done. Otherwise you have to put to the hex value : 4000 for pcs with 128 mb ram, 10000 for 256 mb ram and if you have more put 40000. This value specifies how many bytes can be used for I/O operations in your system. 4000 should be plenty.

Disable Last Access Timestamp
Start/Command Prompt, type:
FSUTIL behavior set disablelastaccess 1

By default, whenever you view a file, XP notes on the file header the date, and for the most part that is just a waste of disc write every time you simply view any file.

I mean come on, when do ever search for the last time you just looked at something?
This does not effect actually changing a file and saving, that will update the modified date as usual and writing to the disc anyway.

Remember, the goal here is to use bulk storage for storage and not have to access it for everything you do.

For an even greater speedup, now run the basic tips from the http://vales.com/FasterPC.html page to clean out all the garbage from your fixed cache and defrag the drive.

Then, use MSCONFIG to edit your startup file and remove all those pesky autostart “hang on” programs like Quick-time, adobe, and update checks and unused background utils, and anything else like IM or whatever you simply don’t need to start when you start the computer.

If you have 2GB or more of memory, use it!

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things ©¿©¬

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  3:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still stumbling with 512 megs of RAM on my desktop, so I guess I'll skip.

I have 2 gigs in the lappy, but I don't want to change anything until I re-install a fresh copy of XP on it, and that may be awhile, as I don't want to chance messing it up and having nothing to use while admitted to the hospital.

If anyone tries KC's suggestions, let us know how it goes, please. I'm curious as to the results, and I trust KC's PC-wisdom.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  10:56:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't use this on a Laptop, I failed to mention that.
Desktop XP boxes, and I tried it, it works great.

Considering how fast my box is anyway I don't expect much, but man I can actually see the difference with everything I do.
It didn't hurt the benchmark either, check MY PC topic for the new results.

Go to Top of Page

WhyNot
Advanced Member
MY PC

Canada
913 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  11:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice find on the vista tweeks.dont have the time right now but ill try them out and report back.

after all why_not :P
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  09:48:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes why_not, let us know how the Vista tweaks work.
They sure work great on my XP desktop.

Go to Top of Page

Mebla
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  6:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Mebla's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
windows 7 is fast enough as it is. dare i say i prefer it over xp after using it now.
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  7:51:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mebla

windows 7 is fast enough as it is. dare i say i prefer it over xp after using it now.

Cool, I've heard good things about 7, I'm sure I'll get to it eventually.

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  2:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made the recommended changes and wanted to double check that these numbers look about right.

The OS is XPMCE, memory 4gig, virtual 4989/4989
re: http://vales.com/elite/whitePaper.asp?ID=322

And this must have been changed by the "LargeSystemCache" setting hopefully?

Thanks

oh ya...
So far everything seems the same. But that makes sense with the starting Office test because it pops open to fast for me to tell it from Notebook.

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Better Poster
MY PC

Canada
337 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  3:07:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I might have to give this a try on the vista page. I am still on vista 64bit and 4 gb of ram. Should be able to give it some more pep :)

And I always thought that "last viewed" thing was ridiculously stupid too.

Go See Bucko
Go to Top of Page

boom50cal
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
248 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  5:19:22 PM  Show Profile  Click to see boom50cal's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just did last viewed and menu delay things. See if this perks this bad boy up some

If it's broke FIX it. If it's not broke, OVERCLOCK it. If OVERCLOCKING breaks it, get ready to buy a new one
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  06:58:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Memory Usage should be set to Programs not Cache.

I haven't tried the Vista one, and I doubt there is anything for Win7.

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  4:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I'm not mistaken the above registry edit for the key named LargeSystemCache is what changed the memory usage setting from programs to cache.
And changing the Memory Usage setting back to Programs seemed to have changed the registry value back to 0 as well when I checked.

---------------------------------

The Tweak Guides seem to always be current and the Windows Tweak Companions (regular versions) are free.

Page Link: Tweak Companions for Windows 7, Vista, XP
Direct link: Window 7 Tweak Guide (zip file) Edit: Woops the direct links blocked.

BTW: I have not seen windows 7 or the Tweak guide.

Edited by - WheelSmoke on 05/27/2010 4:48:04 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000