Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 9:25:11 PM on 10/22/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 MY PC
 Saint Jimmy`s something-or-other
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Saint Jimmy
Better Poster
MY PC

Australia
112 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  7:24:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Machine Name:something-or-other    ID:441 
Make or Model: HP Pavilion 6751 Desktop
Last Edit: 5/16/2010
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
Motherboard: Trigem Computer, Inc. Cognac
Processor: Intel Pentium III E @ 800 MHz
CPU Socket: ZIF
Primary Video: Intel Corporation 82810 810 Chipset Graphics Controller    PCI Express? no
Memory: 384 MB
Boot Drive: QUANTUM (15 GB)

PC Wizard Mark:479    3DMark:0

Printer Friendly Full Parts Listing

Other Components and Comments:
It`s all I got, and it cost me AU$75...but the one I had before was worse!!! I`m surprised it still goes, considering its age and the fact it`s thrashed, but still, you don`t complain, now do you? Plays music great, what with the 160 watt stereo and all...

Saint Jimmy
Better Poster
MY PC

Australia
112 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  7:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the screenshot of PCWiz and how ti rates...absymally, I guess.

http://elitePCs.info/Fpics/536_Embarrasing.jpg.FP

Pentium 3 WHAT!?!?!?
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jimmy
Better Poster
MY PC

Australia
112 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  7:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, according to this, my computer is only good for storing stuff on...

Pentium 3 WHAT!?!?!?
Go to Top of Page

Stalkerrob
MY PC

Canada
555 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  10:25:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol kinda looks that way, good old p3 i used to have one it played age of empires 2 and starcraft good :P

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jimmy
Better Poster
MY PC

Australia
112 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  04:23:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised how much works on it, and then dismayed at how much that doesn't...

Pentium 3 WHAT!?!?!?
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jimmy
Better Poster
MY PC

Australia
112 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  6:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm hopefully getting a Matrox Millenium G450 so I can play some more games and best of all, TWO SCREENS! YAY!

Pentium 3 WHAT!?!?!?
Go to Top of Page

WhyNot
Advanced Member
MY PC

Canada
913 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  05:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
multi monitor ftw.

after all why_not :P
Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  06:42:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a LOT you can do with a Pentium-3. Just don't expect to play the newer games on it.

I still have a 1000 mhz Pent-3 in use. Plays tunes, runs RC and real-world flight sim (Aerofly Pro and MS Flight Sim 2004), plays DVDs, surfs web sites, etc...

I could go on and on about the stuff I still use it for. You're good to go.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  08:15:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been on my backup P4 with 512MB memory, on-board video (doesn't even have a video card slot, just 3 regular PCI slots), and a dog slow HD all week. It's brutal, but better than nothing.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jimmy
Better Poster
MY PC

Australia
112 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  8:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, that must be shocking for you, KC, because you'd be used to having all that high performance PC sstuff around you all the time...and then to go back to something almost as old as I am...that's not good.

P3's are so underrated as a computer, because everyone is pressured to have the best and most expensive thig to surf the net...seems stupid to me when something a couple of years older can do the same thing just as good...but on the flipside it means that upgrades (in my case, which means a stupidly low budget) are cheap and plentuiful...

Pentium 3 WHAT!?!?!?
Go to Top of Page

WhyNot
Advanced Member
MY PC

Canada
913 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  05:22:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheap yes but plentiful.. not so much. unless you have a friend that collects random computer crap like i do. lol

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jimmy
Better Poster
MY PC

Australia
112 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  9:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Screw the Matrox! i'm hopefully getting a nVidia GeForcce 64 MB multi monitor! YAYAYAYAY!

i do collect random computer junk...comes in handy, because most stuff's an upgrade...lol!

Pentium 3 WHAT!?!?!?
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jimmy
Better Poster
MY PC

Australia
112 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  4:22:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just out of interest, can you stick a P4 into a P3 slot? I need more grunt...the video card's probably gonna bottleneck the CPU...

Also, I want to put in 1GB of RAM, but I read online that my computer will only handle 512MB? Is there any way to get around this? The lack of grunt's really getting to me, and I started defragging last night...at 12:00, and it had only done 33%... when I got up at 7:00 AM...shows how ****ed up my HDDs are...It'' probably be done in a few days time, then I gotta to the other HDD, which is bigger...DAMN! probably a week to do both of them properly...lol

Pentium 3 WHAT!?!?!?
Go to Top of Page

boom50cal
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
248 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  1:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Click to see boom50cal's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Save up some money and buy/build yourself a good new dual or quad-core computer. Intel Core2Duos are mega cheap right now, and AMD is always low in price. $600 USD will build a fairly fast computer. My computer has less than $600 USD in it and it maxes MW2(epic game btw).

If it's broke FIX it. If it's not broke, OVERCLOCK it. If OVERCLOCKING breaks it, get ready to buy a new one
Go to Top of Page

WhyNot
Advanced Member
MY PC

Canada
913 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  3:30:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
on that note. about $200 will build you a system that will smoke your current one in all ways as long as you use your current mouse monitor and keyboard.

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jimmy
Better Poster
MY PC

Australia
112 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  3:51:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmm...smoking my current PC isn't hard...my Mother's desktop (Acer something-or-other) which has Vista kills mine, and it in itself is crap...

I'm dead broke at the moment...got no cash whatsoever...

Everything will have to wait until the money eventually trickles through...

Pentium 3 WHAT!?!?!?
Go to Top of Page

WhyNot
Advanced Member
MY PC

Canada
913 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  4:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Jimmy

Hmmmmm...smoking my current PC isn't hard...my Mother's desktop (Acer something-or-other) which has Vista kills mine, and it in itself is crap...

which is my point lols

Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  08:11:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Just out of interest, can you stick a P4 into a P3 slot? I need more grunt...the video card's probably gonna bottleneck the CPU...

Also, I want to put in 1GB of RAM, but I read online that my computer will only handle 512MB? Is there any way to get around this?

No, you cannot stick a Pent-4 CPU chip into a board designed for a Pentium-3, unless the board's specs say you can (doubtful). And if the board specs say 512 megs maximum RAM, then that's all you can make use of.

P.S...If it's taking days to defrag a harddrive, then that drive may be failing and proving more and more difficult to read. Have you run an error check on them to look for bad sectors?

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jimmy
Better Poster
MY PC

Australia
112 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  5:12:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I haven't...my disc is really defragmented...6.5GB of defragmented files..according to the defragmenter...I'll keep defragmenting, and I'll run an error check tonight... see what's what. Sucks that I can't put a P4 into a P3, but that's life...

Turns out my non-working spare is a Dell Optiplex GX150...only barely better than the HP...but i'll fiddle until it does...

Pentium 3 WHAT!?!?!?

Edited by - Saint Jimmy on 05/12/2010 6:26:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jimmy
Better Poster
MY PC

Australia
112 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2010 :  6:37:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know what the **** a DIP swich is? I figure I can put the processor from the Dell ino my HP (both P3, 1GHZ vs 800MHZ) but I tried it and it ony runs at 750MHZ, at 1.45 volts. the 1GHZ runs at 1.55 volts in the Dell...how Do I increase the voltage so that it runs at 1GHZ in my HP? I heard you change it with DIP switches, but I don't want to touch anything until i know what I'm doing...a blown processor is not what I need...

Pentium 3 WHAT!?!?!?
Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  7:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really old motherboards used DIP switches, but newer ones (including yours) will switch automatically or is changed in the BIOS at boot-up.

However, I have not found any specs for your motherboard to see if it will accept a faster CPU, and I suggest you don't just drop anything into the socket until you DO know. A shorted out Pent-3 M/B is of no use to anyone.

Can you open the case and find any numbers on the motherboard? The HP website is of no help, so maybe if I can look up the M/B itself...

Go to Top of Page

WhyNot
Advanced Member
MY PC

Canada
913 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  7:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
his board probably does have switches. which ones he needs to switch i could not tell without seeing the mobo. clear pics would work. they usualy have some sort of map [as i called it] printed on the board by the switches.

Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  08:54:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen dips on a M/B since my pentium one.

Either way, I can't even find an image of the board to see if it has dips if I don't know what it is first. He says the board is made by Trigem, but which model?

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  2:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jimmy you should be able to pull up a window that shows your HP build information.
To do that press these 3 keys at the same time. <Ctrl> <Alt> S

You should now see your computers product number. The product number may work better than the model number when looking for correct MB information.

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jimmy
Better Poster
MY PC

Australia
112 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2010 :  5:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right...the pressure's off as far as pulling apart my computer goes...as I have a spare laptop (semi-working..the screen's seriously ****ed) so I don't have to worry as much about not putting my computer back together immeniately...I can leave it now...I'll try and get some pix of the motherboard...but it's really cramped in there...(it's a really compact case)and I only have a 2MP camera...but I'll try...

Pentium 3 WHAT!?!?!?
Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2010 :  6:53:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You don't need to shoot pics. Just record any serial or model numbers and/or names and inform us of such.

By the way, many laptops have a SVGA video output on the back. You may be able to plug your desktop's monitor into it if the lappy's screen is jacked.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000