Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 4:25:41 PM on 12/12/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Samsung may sell off hard-drive business
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

XJ~Abuzer
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  7:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Samsung plans to sell its hard-drive business, a new report claims.

The electronics company would like to make $1.5 billion on the sale, but it might take less than $1 billion, The Wall Street Journal is reporting, citing an anonymous source. The source told the Journal that, in no uncertain terms, "Samsung is trying to get rid of [its HDD operation]," and one of its chief competitors, Seagate, is a potential suitor.

Though Samsung has been competing in the hard-disk-drive business for quite some time, the company is still far behind the leaders in that sector. According to research firm iSuppli, Samsung's worldwide HDD market share at the end of 2010 was hovering at around 10 percent.

In that same report, which was released in March, iSuppli said that it expected first-quarter 2011 HDD shipments to hit 160.9 million, down nearly 4 percent compared to the fourth quarter of 2010, when 167.5 million HDDs were shipped. iSuppli said that "weaker industry conditions," namely the fact that smartphones and tablets don't use hard drives for their storage needs, make "organic sales growth...more difficult to achieve, prompting HDD suppliers to engage in acquisitions to gain market share."

Those acquisitions have already started. In March, Western Digital agreed to acquire Hitachi's hard-disk-drive unit for $4.3 billion. Once the acquisition is approved, Western Digital will control nearly 50 percent of the HDD business. Seagate, its closest competitor, owns about 30 percent of the market. And now it might be that company's turn to keep pace with an acquisition of its own.

According to the Journal's source, Samsung plans to use the cash it would raise in the sale of its hard-drive business in markets where it might have a better chance of succeeding. The source did not say which markets Samsung would like to focus on.

Both Samsung and Seagate declined to comment on the report.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20054844-17.html#ixzz1Jvo2i05z

XJ~Abuzer
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  1:54:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is official.....

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=samsung-seagate-alignment-announce-pr&vgnextoid=d00a78162ab6f210VgnVCM1000001a48090aRCRD
Go to Top of Page

boom50cal
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
248 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  2:12:15 PM  Show Profile  Click to see boom50cal's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it's broke FIX it. If it's not broke, OVERCLOCK it. If OVERCLOCKING breaks it, get ready to buy a new one
Go to Top of Page

XJ~Abuzer
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  2:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The merge has been complete for about a month now. Samsung hard drive engineers are now working at Seagate.

Edited by - XJ~Abuzer on 01/26/2012 2:48:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  11:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always been happy with Seagate drives. Don't think I even seen one from Samsung before.

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  11:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HP used the Samsung drives for my Pavilion a1250n and 8562 boxes.

Go to Top of Page

XJ~Abuzer
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  5:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seagate got a bad wrap back in 2009 because of a botched firmware release that was locking people out of their drives. Those engineers that wrote that firmware are no longer working for the company. I heard most if not all of them went over to WD but I am not for sure on that. Easily repaired by a simple force reflash and Seagate would even do it for you.

They really do make good products, yet software choices sometimes are less to be desired (Memeo Instant Backup that comes with the GoFlex drives for instance and the Replica software, neither written by Seagate) Usually when you hear of people having multiple failures with drives they are using them in some odd or inadequate environment (i.e. a enterprise level raid using drives designed for home desktop use or the people that have 5 years of dust clogging their fans causing heat buildup in the case, etc etc)

One of the products that they have recently came out with that I am very impressed with is the Momentus XT drives. They are a 2.5" hybrid mechanical/SD hard drive. The first gen (which was inferior to the current gen) has 500gb platters and 4gb of SD storage. You cannot see nor manage the 4gb sd part, just the 500gb. It uses adaptive technology to learn what files your computer uses the most to speed up boot times and load times on your most used applications. Bad thing is, you run disk defrag and it undoes all the learning.

The gen 2 which just came out not too long ago is a 750gb drive with 8gb of SD and works the same way. These will work in your 3.5" drive bays if you buy a 3rd party adapter. I will be getting one soon.

A little tip....if you get one of these, do not....I repeat DO NOT restore a system image that was created from a conventional hard drive. You will just waste a lot of time and aggravation. It wont work properly. Perform a clean install of Windows and then install your programs, copy your data over, etc.

One good thing about the Samsung acquisition means you will probably start seeing some Samsung technology integrated with Seagate technology. They are both great companies and it will be interesting to see what comes of it. Plus, Seagate will probably be diving into SD technology further since Samsung was one of the major players of SD.
Go to Top of Page

[RCG]Balthazar
Administrator
MY PC

Norway
489 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  1:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Click to see [RCG]Balthazar's MSN Messenger address  Send [RCG]Balthazar a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think all of Samsung products are great.
Had a couple drives from them as well, they werent fast but very silent.
And they never died.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  12:17:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Western Digital drives and I have had a mixed relationship over the years. I trust their drives and have one from 10 years ago that is still plugged in and works, but I did have one notable failure that really hurt.

Considering how fast tech changes who knows what will pan out with tech changes but it seems to me that as long as we have 3 or more players desktop drives should keep being made, and maybe even be made better and cheaper.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000