Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 7:01:29 PM on 12/10/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Webmasters
 Dial up downloading problems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JohnDoe3000
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  8:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Send JohnDoe3000 an AOL message  Send JohnDoe3000 an ICQ Message  Send JohnDoe3000 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Running AOL 9.0 dial up. Not the greatest, but dial-up is my only option due to where I live, and 14.95 a month for unlimited use aint bad. But whatever

Every time I go to save a file to my hard drive (say a video or song for example) the download usually "completes" itself before the file is fully transfered.

Also, while downloading, the file size is "unknown" (where is usually says something like - 50% 50kb / 100 kb transfered). Now most times the site tells you how big it is prior to downloading, but it doesnt show in the download box

It just started doing this out of the blue, and it sucks because even though I may download 95% of the video file, the video is still only 4-5 seconds long, and I cant rewind/fast forward in WMP

What could have caused this to start happening, and is there a possible fix?

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2011 :  08:28:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this helps or not.

But not all codecs support features like fast forward before the whole file is loaded. Or at all for that matter.

And I occasionally notice all that stuff happens on my system as well from select files/downloads/servers or whatever too.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2011 :  10:49:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make sure you don't have ANY other programs running that use the internet.

That means IM, e-mail, automatic updates like Flash or Anti-Virus because as soon as you dial in and connect they ALL want to connect and even take priority and the file you are trying to DL takes a back seat and will time out at the sending server.

You can test this by just booting up in 'safe mode with networking'.
That will keep all the automatic crap from running, but you still have internet access.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000