Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 4:54:20 PM on 10/16/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Lame Spam Scammers
 Craigslist Free MacBook
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  07:10:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen a clever scam in a long time but this one got my attention.

--------
To: (my personal mail)
Subject: RE: ;-} Motorized Trek 7-speed Mountain

Attention KC Vale,

My name is Angel Thomas, Ceo of Craigslist. We've recently partnered up with Apple company regarding a one-time promotional event today, we are giving away complimentary Apple MacBooks to randomly selected people who have submitted an advert on Craigslist. You've been chosen as one of our newest winners for today. We randomly select numbers to match up with ads on C-list and your ad matched with our latest drawing.

We have partnered up with Apple to market their most popular product yet, the Apple MacBook. Once again, we're operating this campaign for one-day only. All you need to do is CLICK HERE (link deleted) to go to our site made for this promotion and key in your email to get yours for free. Just be sure you enter your email therefore we may locate our records to guarantee that we have reserved one for you. That's it!

Congratulations on winning a free Apple MacBook (valued at $1299). In case you might have any query or worries, feel free to e-mail me back. However, you should claim your free MacBook 1st to guarantee one will be reserved for you prior to the deadline ends. We do understand that you may not receive this email until after the deadline, but, we advise you check the site and enter your email to see if we still have got yours on hold, which we often-times do as a result others have not claimed theirs in time.

Angel Thomas

CEO, Craig's list
--------

This was correctly sent to my Junk Mail folder but the subject caught my eye, it was a reply to a Craigs list ad I posted.
It was also only addressed to me at my personal e-mail address so I read it.

I knew with this first line it was a scam.
"My name is Angel Thomas, Ceo of Craigslist."
Ya right, the owner of craigs list uses hotmail (rolls eyes).

Then the scam, click a link, enter your personal info.
Please, craigs list is a non-profit with no ads anywhere, the last thing they would ever do is spam their free customers with free anything, let alone four figure computers.

And then of course this in the e-mail header verified the hoax for me.

X-Originating-IP: [79.176.54.67]

IP Information - 79.176.54.67
IP address: 79.176.54.67
Reverse DNS: bzq-79-176-54-67.red.bezeqint.net.
Reverse DNS authenticity: [Verified]
ASN: 8551
ASN Name: BEZEQ-INTERNATIONAL-AS (Bezeqint Internet Backbone)
IP range connectivity: 1
Registrar (per ASN): RIPE
Country (per IP registrar): IL [Israel]
Country Currency: ILS [Israel New Shekels]
Country IP Range: 79.176.0.0 to 79.183.255.255
Country fraud profile: High
City (per outside source): Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv
Country (per outside source): IL [Israel]
Private (internal) IP? No
IP address registrar: whois.arin.net
Known Proxy? No
Link for WHOIS: 79.176.54.67

Needless to say I didn't click the lame link.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  10:30:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahaha, seems Craigs fired their CEO and now have another one giving away MacBooks too hehehehe ;-}

-------
To From Subject Received Size Categories
kc@vales.com Sandra Clark RE: ;-} Motorized Trek 7-speed Mountain Fri 2:50 PM 9 KB

Attention KC Vale,

My name is Sandra Clark, Chief executive officer of Craigslist. We've recently joined up with Apple company regarding a one-time promotional event today, we are giving away complimentary Apple MacBooks to randomly selected people who have submitted an ad on Cl. You have been chosen as one of our newest winners for today. We randomly choose numbers to match up with ads on Craig's list and your advertisement matched with our latest drawing.

We've partnered up with Apple to advertise their most popular product yet, the Apple MacBook. Once yet again, we're operating this campaign for one-day only. All you need to do is CLICK HERE (link deleted) to go to our site generated for this promotion and enter your email to recieve yours for free. Simply ensure you enter your email therefore we may locate our records to make certain that we have reserved one for you. That's it!

Congrats on winning a free Apple MacBook (valued at $1299). If you've got any query or issues, feel free to email me back. However, you should claim your free MacBook 1st to guarantee one will be reserved for you prior to the deadline ends. We do understand that you may well not receive this e-mail until after the deadline, however, we suggest you check the site and enter your email to see if we still have got yours on hold, which we often-times do because others haven't claimed theirs on time.

Sandra Clark

CEO, C-list

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 9.0.900 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3617 - Release Date: 05/06/11 05:30:00
--------

IP address: 112.71.4.10
Reverse DNS: 112-71-4-10f1.kyt1.eonet.ne.jp.
Reverse DNS authenticity: [Verified]
ASN: 17511
ASN Name: JPNIC-JP-ASN-BLOCK (Japan Network Information Center)
IP range connectivity: 1
Registrar (per ASN): APNIC
Country (per IP registrar): JP [Japan]
Country Currency: JPY [Japan Yen]
Country IP Range: 112.68.0.0 to 112.71.255.255
Country fraud profile: Normal
City (per outside source): Kameoka, Kyoto
Country (per outside source): JP [Japan]
Private (internal) IP? No
IP address registrar: whois.arin.net
Known Proxy? No
Link for WHOIS: 112.71.4.10

Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  09:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
All you need to do is CLICK HERE (link deleted) to go to our site made for this promotion and key in your email to get yours for free. Just be sure you enter your email therefore we may locate our records to guarantee that we have reserved one for you. That's it!

wait don't they already have your email? so whats the point in clicking the link if they already have it. i woulda sent what i said above back and ask if i can still get my "free macbook"

"Death can arrive a simple friend for those who die. It is never simple for those who survive." - quote from the book Legacy by Greg Bear.
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  08:15:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Naw, I'm too busy these days to play with spam scamers.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000