Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 8:31:07 PM on 12/12/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Lame Spam Scammers
 Where did that scammer get your email address
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

XJ~Abuzer
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2011 :  11:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I came across this article and thought it was worth sharing.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2011/04/where-did-that-scammer-get-your-email-address/

Wow...they can buy 500 million addresses for $500.

**WARNING** The two sites mentioned in the article, LeadsAndMail dot com and BuyEmails dot org, are rated red with a poor reputation by WOT. I would avoid visiting either site.

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2011 :  1:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awhile back I made the mistake of registering my home telephone number with the National Do Not Call Registry.

I say mistake because I put a lot of effort in to preventing those calls over the years and basically stopped getting them until making that one change.

From then on I get home loan related sales calls +daily. And they all make a point of saying the president has told them to do it for justification.

grrr. thank goodness for the *60# feature.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  10:18:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Considering my main e-mail addresses have been out the there for over a decade I get surprisingly little spam.
That may be because I tend to fight back by frustrating the spammers as I sometimes show here. I think the scammers and spammers have their own 'Don't E-mail' list and I am on it.
quote:
Originally posted by WheelSmoke

Awhile back I made the mistake of registering my home telephone number with the National Do Not Call Registry.

grrr. thank goodness for the *60# feature.
All I have is a land line and I am here all the time.
Spam is no bother to me but the phone ringing is.

I tend to get a bit dramatic when I am not sitting at my desk and I get a telemarketing call.
It is usually some local carpet cleaner or roofer or whatever 'in your area' this week.

This really irritates me when I have to drop everything to listen to their sales pitch that second just in case it is a customer.

After a half a minute I interrupt their spill and ask...
"Do you know that you breaking Federal Law talking to me right now?
I have been on the National DO NOT CALL LIST for a reason and since it started.
Why are you blatantly ignoring and breaking Federal Law trying to sell someone that has made it perfectly clear by registering on the DO NOT CALL LIST that I will NEVER EVER BUY ANYTING FROM ANYONE THAT TELE-MARKETS!?."

Ya, I know, it's just minimum wage workers doing the calling just trying to survive, and sure its a job for someone and not their fault, but comments like that do move up the food chain and I think they have a list for numbers to not call as well.

It is the robot calls that block their number from my caller ID I can't stand. Ever get one of those that want you to call them back to make them stop calling?

What is the thank goodness for the *60# feature?
I know a few * features, like hide your phone number, but what I really want is combo to press for obvious robots that just send the 3 tone 'disconnected' signal.
Those robots automatically remove your number from their list ;-}

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000