Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 12:44:14 PM on 12/12/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Really small & really bright LED's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  12:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dogs Bling Bling Blinker safety light is plenty bright to see a quarter mile away when it's dark. And check out how small the LED's are.

I can't even see them with a normal magnifying
glass and need to use a 14x jewelers type.

The view in that circle is at about 10x
and the LED is the dot in the middle.

Here is the product.

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  08:09:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, LED's are getting amazing in brightness and low cost.
It's cool you brought this up as I came in to post an update on my search for an 'always on' motor powered front blinking light for the motorized bikes I build and sell.

With 3 batteries I assume 4.5VDC, easy to obtain for any Chinese motor's Aux power and you wouldn't even notice it.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  11:15:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Niterider is advertising a cordless headlight for $150 now that's claimed to put out 600 lumens! I've read that cheaper manufacturing ptrocesses have been discovered, so the lamps would be getting cheaper. This may be just the first of those.

I plan to get one someday. The older lights available now in that lumen range sold for around $400 last year.

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  10:05:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, I would think a good hundred of the LED's used in this thing could fit on the end of a pencil eraser easy. And the flash is almost to bright (or maybe harsh) even when the dogs far away.

I don't know how long the battery's will last either because none have died. And this is my third light I've bought in the last few years.

Go to Top of Page

XJ~Abuzer
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  05:06:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since we are on the subject, I have been eyeballing this for my Jeep:

http://skinnypedal.net/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24_25&products_id=1

I was wondering if some of you guys that know about vehicle electrics and LEDs know of a cheaper option for me. I am just wanting something to light up the underside when I am wheeling at night so I can see where the tires are going.
Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  11:13:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a guess but it looks like the housing for those lights is whats expensive to me? Maybe you could just make a clear Plexiglas cover for something you like thats tough enough.

Electrical fittings come to mind.

And those LED's for replacing taillight bulbs.

I would think the hardest part (if it matters) would be finding LED's that produce light thats not to white.

Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  6:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I would think the hardest part (if it matters) would be finding LED's that produce light thats not to white.

If using multiple LEDs, then just mix a few yellows in with the whites. ..

As far as do-it-yourself LED rock lights on the cheap...

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  08:48:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just finished my first custom retro bicycle headlight and it is just flat awesome for ~$60.

The retro bicycle light was nothing, it originally came with 2 flashlight bulbs and ran on a pair of AA batteries.

I pulled the reflector with 3 high power CREE LED's that pump out over 3,800 Lumes from this flashlight:

http://www.tmart.com/TrustFire-CREE-XML-T6-5Modes-3800LM-LED-Flashlight-Electric-Torch_p125449.html

LEDs 3
Luminous Flux 3800 LM
5 Modes High-Mid-Low-Strobe-SOS
Light Color White
Body Color Black
Power Supply 2 x 18650 3.7V battery (not included)
Flashlight Life 100,000 hours
$49.

And fit it inside the original lamps reflector and managed to wedge in a pair of 3.7V Li-Ion batteries to make this.

This is the old style bullet with new flashlight head in it.

This in the same position turned on.

It completely washed out my cameras ability to see any other light than the bulbs.

To emphasize just how bright it is, it's mid-morning, I have sunlight coming into my shop from a window and big sliding glass door, and that ceiling light has a pair of 100W incandescent bulbs in it.

Yes, that is the beam above and brighter than the ceiling lamps in a lit room from 15' away!

Not bad for ~$60 including the Li-Ion batteries ehhh ;-}

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  1:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the spot light KC.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic