Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 5:32:38 AM on 10/19/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 General Chat Forum
 FTC Laredo qualifier won (Robotics)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  12:16:13 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i'm currently working on an animated gif of a 360 view of our robot. in the mean time enjoy some of these pictures.

but before i post the pictures. let me tell you a bit about FTC.
heres the website: http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/ftc
and here's this year's game guides and info: http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/ftc/2011-2012-game-info

we originally went to the qualifier at Roosevelt High School here in San Antonio. but we epicly failed that qualifier. 4008 got 8th place. and 4602 got 15th. there were only 18 teams.

about our teams. 4008 is Brandeis Bronc Bots - Orange. and 4602 is Brandeis Bronc Bots - Blue. we actually havve 3 registered robotics teams. 2 FTC and 1 FRC. i was the driver for 4602. though i only did half of the driving during the Roosevelt qualifier.
we all decided that we would raise some money to pay for the entry fee for both teams to go to the Laredo qualifier held at TAIMU (texas A&M international university). which we did go to, and win. 4008 got 1st place and 4602 got 5th. but since it's an alliance team setup. the top 4 teams get to choose who their alliance partners will be. 4008 chose us, 4602, to be their partners. the final matches are setup to be best 2/3. we won all of our 1st set of matches, and lost only 1 match in the 2nd set.

4008 was awarded 1st place alliance team and 1st place inspire award. 4602 was awarded 1st place alliance team and the connect award.

now the picutres. sorry i dont have many from laredo as i was the driver and my camera died on the way to laredo. only the few i was able to get in between matches and repairing the robot, with my DSi camera. which is cruddy. but its better than nothing.

Here the final match of the Roosevelt qualifier, 1 robot from each team flipped over.

Here i am in the blue shirt resetting the robot for a test run.

if you want any more detailed info or maybe some better pics. let me know, i'll see if i can get them.

allright got the gif made.

"Death can arrive a simple friend for those who die. It is never simple for those who survive." - quote from the book Legacy by Greg Bear.

Edited by - brutus-tobias on 02/16/2012 11:54:33 AM

XJ~Abuzer
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  8:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats. Looks like fun times!
Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  12:03:35 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
it was alot of fun, unless you're the driver, like me.
then you know that the weight of the team rests on your shoulders and the driver next you. theres 2 drivers for every robot and 1 coach for every team. how ever the team can consist of as many people as you want. and coaches arent allowed to touch the controllers.

the controllers are like playstation 2 controllers. only the buttons are labled differently. made by logitech btw.

driving the robot is a lot of fun. playing video games sure pays off . but the 1 thing that people have to watch out for is driving over the balls. which is our #1 problem with our robot. our robot doesnt do to well on top of balls. loose all form of traction on 1 side or all sides, for 4602. 4008 however uses a tank tread drive train which does alot better compared to our robot's (4602) sticky wheel chain drive, which uses 2 motors to power left and right sides of the robot, then uses chain to hook the front wheels to the back wheels. it saves an extra 2 motors compared to other sticky wheel/omniwheel drives, but you also loose a bit of power.

you know i think i'll use this topic to keep ya'll up to date on our robot progress.

the next competition is march 1st-3rd. in Greenville? i think. i know its up near Dallas, Texas. that is the regional competition. keep an eye out for the Robo Wrangles, probably the best robotics team in Texas. and of course us, the Bronc Bots. might hear some news about FTC, if not you will most likely hear about FRC which is a lot bigger and more popular than FTC.

our robot progress so far...
1 burnt out motor. aaaaand thats it as far as we can tell. the robot is at the adult sponsor's house. we havent had time to work on it at all this week because of FRC. members of the FTC teams work on FRC as well. and FRC has a higher priority than FTC. i'm one of the few truly dedicated to FTC only.

one last thing, burnt out D/C motors STINK! yuck

"Death can arrive a simple friend for those who die. It is never simple for those who survive." - quote from the book Legacy by Greg Bear.
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  12:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brutus-tobias

You know i think i'll use this topic to keep ya'll up to date on our robot progress.
That is fine with me and well done bud, congrats ;-}
You are doing the things I still wish I could have done, but back in my school days this was all just SciFi.
Star Trek, Lost in Space, etc. They couldn't even 'Hollywood fake it' well and here you are living it so I truly do envy you for that.

Take advantage of this experience and apply to NASA and the JPL now.
Sure, you are not done with school yet, but getting your name to them early will help get you on their radar for new recuits.

Congrats again bud ;-}

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page

[RCG]Balthazar
Administrator
MY PC

Norway
489 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  02:22:21 AM  Show Profile  Click to see [RCG]Balthazar's MSN Messenger address  Send [RCG]Balthazar a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This stuff makes me wanna go to school again!

Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2012 :  3:02:40 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
one of our sponsors is KCI. i think maybe a couple of us will go join them.

but my reason for joining robotics was the scholarship opportunities and some experience with computers and wiring. though with FTC its really very simple and no need to worry about power shortages or anything of the like.
FRC how ever is a different matter as we use motorcycle batteries instead of little 12volt batteries like on the FTC bots.

here's the school's robotics team website: http://www.broncbotz.com/

Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  09:02:19 AM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
well balth. u could become a mentor for a team. we have 2 guys from KCI to help us. as well as 2 parents who are engineers.

anyway. we competed downtown san antonio for the alamo regionals.
frc didnt make it. and are going to try again in dallas.
ftc made it to eliminations. 4602 placed higher than 4008. i want yall to know that each ftc team we had only about 2 people running the team. the rest were helping with our frc team.
sadly. we arent going to the world chamionship if we dont win in dallas.
but we're out of sponsor money and need about $300 from each person if i remember to pay for the entry fee, hotel, and food.

Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  10:37:31 AM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
sorry for the 3 posts in a row. but they are spaced pretty far apart.

anyway, GOOD NEWS! our FRC robotics team won the Engineering Inspiration Award at the Dallas regional competition.
that means our team, 3481, is going to the world champion ship in St. Louis. wwoooooo.

and you know what else is awesome? full sponsorship from NASA for he trip. NASA will pay our entry fee, hotel, the whole shabang. about $12,000.

the date for the world championship is to be announced so i'll let yall know. sadly, i wasn't part of the FRC team so i have no pictures. on me. i'll have to check our facebook page and ask some of the members if they have any.

edit: ok i went to the face book page and there are a lot of photos and videos posted, here are just a few of the photos.

a very nice panorama of our workshop.

here is the brochure explaining our robot

and some CAD screen shots and renders.

Edited by - brutus-tobias on 04/02/2012 3:00:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  10:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds so fun and far less dirty than motorized bikes, but I don't have the luxury of free time and funding, great work BT, just try to split your pics up in multiple posts if you have more than 4 please ;-}

Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  12:50:22 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
ok, will do.
i thought there might have been to many pics. first time posting that many. i didnt really know how it would and i rememered i completely over looked the preview button.
i just downloaded them directly from the face book page. guess ill put them into a colloge next time.
maybe ill do it later today

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  07:48:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fun stuff for you, I imagine you will go far in life bud.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000