Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 4:52:09 AM on 11/21/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Computer Specific Topics
 corrupted BIOS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  08:02:54 AM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hello. yet another problem i have. and it's quite serious.

found out that my BIOS has been corrupted.
my Compaq Presario CQ61 would not boot up. and displayed blinking lights on the caps lock and numlock indicator lights.

least its not #5, which is a fried motherboard.

anyway, i need help reinstalling BIOS on my machine. what steps should i take. are there any precautions i need to take? any special equipment i need. like spare computers, cables, disks, etc.
i plan on looking up a how-to anyway.

i need this computer fixed asap as i have a group english project to do and i don't want to let my parnters down.

did some searching and found out its darn nearly impossible to reinstall a corrupted bios. some crazy stuff like you need another mobo of the same model and the same bios chip.

can't i just buy a new bios chip? and take the old corrupted one out?
do i need to buy a new motherboard?
can i take the the little Li-ion battery out for a day or 2 and hope something works?

i don't know. =\

oh and i can't access the My PC page for my laptop, the title of it is Compaq Presario laptop. when ever i click the link i get sent to the front page or the current pages just reloads. i really need to get to that PC page to find my motherboard's model #.

"Death can arrive a simple friend for those who die. It is never simple for those who survive." - quote from the book Legacy by Greg Bear.

Edited by - brutus-tobias on 03/21/2012 11:04:04 AM

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  2:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should be able to get the correct motherboard information at the HP.com websites product support pages. But be sure to use your product number to find the product specifications for your computer.

What I mean is that you should not use the computers model number to identify the hardware. To get the correct information you need to use the product number.

Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  3:20:48 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
thanks. ya i figured that out after doing a generic search for presario cq61 motherboard. believe my motherboard model is WA976UA
which is the product # on the sticker under the laptop.

i'll stop by the HP website and double check.
but what i really WANT is the bios chip, and nothing else. if possible.
if i have to order a new motherboard, then so be it.
after all, one can only survive for so long without proper video games.
man i was looking forward to beta testing guild wars 2 this weekend. if my computer could run it, and if im lucky enough to be selected.

5 minutes later...
mother of god. it worked. i did EXACTLY what the hp website here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01997899&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=4121169#N285 told me to do. all i had to do was a "hard reset". and after a quick google search ive come to the conclusion that it means "hardware reset" i somehow reset the computer's hard ware.

and i cant believe i completely forgot to tell yall how this problem came to be.

so last night i put the computer into Sleep. not Hibernation like i used to do. when ever i did that it caused problems with the display not properly coming on. basicly the backlight wouldnt turn on. when it goes into sleep it turns off all hardware except the RAM. so you get super fast relogin times when you open the lid again.
well the next morning i put the laptop in my back pack and headed to school. first period i pull out my laptop to work on some english. and guess what. the laptop is still on, black screen, and caps lock and numlock lights are blinking.

now i had this problem before while testing my gf's ram from her laptop. as she could not load her windows 7 OS. i per her ddr2 sticks in my laptop. of course my laptop booted fine which meant her ram was fine as well. when i put my sticks back in and powered up. i got the blinking lights. common sense told me the last thing i touched was not properly installed, which was the ram. so i flipped my laptop back over. took out the 2 sticks and put them back in. sure enough the laptop booted.

now back 1st period. it turns out, when i took off the panel covering the ram, i found that 1 of the sticks of ram got knocked loose. i mean like one of the edges was almost completely out of the slot. now it did this while ram was powered. at first i was worried that i fried my ram. well according to the chart above and the blinking lights on my computer, the BIOS had been corrupted. which worried me even more. cause i thought i had fried the motherboard. but i felt somewhat relieved that it wasnt the 5 blinks which meant fried motherboard. but i later became worried again because i found out that its nearly impossible to reinstall bios without another motherboard of the same type. and the fact that i might have to buy a new motherboard.

thanks wheelsmoke, you saved me probably $100 i would have spent on a new motherboard.
theres not gurantee that it wont do this again. actually im quite certain the ram will get knocked loose again. think i should get some electrical tape and just incase the thing in rubbery sticky goodness. hehehhehe. nah i wouldnt do that.

anyway thanks for listening to me. i'd like to remind any1 who has a HP or Compaq laptop. try a hard reset if you cant get BIOS to boot up.

"Death can arrive a simple friend for those who die. It is never simple for those who survive." - quote from the book Legacy by Greg Bear.
Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  5:24:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Hard Reset" possibly re-flashed the BIOS chip with default settings, if bad BIOS data was the true issue. Glad it works now.

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  7:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear your issue has been solved.

quote:
mother of god. it worked. i did EXACTLY what the hp website ...

Goes to show how important it is to actually follow troubleshooting steps and not skip anything just because it seems dumb.

And some stuff like my audio/video receiver require a hard reset before any new connections will ever work too.

And A hard reset typically means removing all the power one way or another for electronic equipment.

BTW:) maybe you just fixed that mouse issue too?

Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  10:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
dont know if it fixed the mouse issue. i sure will try again.
ive also started getting comments on the youtube videos i postd. all saying they have the same problem.
ill ask for what mice they have and see if i can come up with a pattern.

Go to Top of Page

Mebla
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  10:32:08 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Mebla's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ive actualy done the very same thing to my computer befor but it was a desktop and i just switched the ram arround. Im not too sure about labtops but on desktop motherboards you can reset the bios by taking a wire thats normaly in a small plug(3 wires sticking out only 1 plugged in) and plug that wire into 1 of the other 1s to reset the whole mothboard. I would do some research first, ever since i built this new pc i have had any problems. Eventualy you get pissed off enough to spend 600$ and build a whole new pc ;)

As for the mouse thing i recently played a bit of some Combat Arms and my mouse did that too a little bit and its a crappy dell mouse i found laying around.
Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  06:58:55 AM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i tried the game again after the hard reset. still same problem. i also havent gotten any replies from youtube.

a question for you mebla. is it one of those red laser mice? or one of the infrared mice?

ive played combat arms on 3 different red laser mice and i had no problem with movement.

oh theres also a topic with this mouse problem here on the forum. if you wana post there so we can keep all this info together.

Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  7:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to bring this topic back. But my laptop is having a problem regarding the blinking lights. I believe now I need a new charger as I'm getting problem #7.
Says my computer is getting insufficient power Whig explains a lot.

Guess I'll have to buy a new charger. Good thing I didn't buy guild wars eh?

Edited by - brutus-tobias on 08/09/2012 7:54:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  9:58:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a problem similar to yours with an older Pent-3 thinkpad.

Turned out the problem was that the little memory-preserving silver-disc battery on the motherboard had died. Every time I shut down and powered off, the motherboard lost everything. There was no juice to preserve the BIOS.

Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  10:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Lol BD, how long did it take before you realized the internal battery had died?

Anyway, my laptop has trolled me yet again.
I was pretty frustrated at this point so I just said "fine, you don't want to work? Fine with me. But when you do, you'll charge my dead battery, so hah!" so I left it plugged, went to take a dump, came back and climbed into bed and was annoyed by the 2 LED lights indicating power is being recieved and the battery is charging.

I swear it's a conspiracy to make me look idiotic.
Though I'm certain this will happen again, until then I'll be nice and give poor ol lappy a good days rest (like it matters).

Oh.. Ignore some correctly spelled words that just don't sound right. Apple's iPod touch has a weird, but good spell correct. I typed 'recieved' and it changed it to 'recorded'.

Maybe I'll put a little notice at the bottom of my posts to indicate when I post from my iPod.

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2012 :  12:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Says my computer is getting insufficient power Whig explains a lot.

Guess I'll have to buy a new charger. Good thing I didn't buy guild wars eh?

That error message is only telling you about a problem and not saying anything about what is causing it.

You could have that problem for a whole list of reasons and the charger is not on the top of the list.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  11:10:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brutus-tobias

I swear it's a conspiracy to make me look idiotic.
Though I'm certain this will happen again, until then I'll be nice and give poor ol lappy a good days rest (like it matters).
Naw, not idiotic, that term is best left for real it's real meaning and a lappy charge problem isn't one of those unless you tried to charge it under water ;-}

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  2:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
if it means anything, the charger burns me now. instead of just being hot it's really hot. hotter than it's ever been.

but i guess yall do have a point. the flashing LED means theres insufficient power for the power adapter. of course that doesnt just apply to the charger but the DC jack itself and probably part of the mobo as well as the charger.

maybe there's something with the jack or mobo and not enough power is getting thru. so the computer is asking the charger to work overtime.

dunno if this has anything to do with it, but my mouse and ipod disconnect constantly. might be faulty USB ports. it's always done that. maybe about 6 months after i got the laptop. it never bothered me any as it would connect right back up and say like that for another few hours.

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  2:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your describing what happens when a bad battery due to a shorted cell is installed to a tee.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000