Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 9:09:30 PM on 10/22/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Business news letters & bulk email
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  9:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know some size and speed guidelines I can use to avoid ISP related problems with sending out a business news letter to customer email lists from home computers?

For example I think a ISP would say these big numbers make all of these abuse. But thats just guessing and finding a acceptable number eludes me....

10 emails BCC to 100 addresses one per second
10 emails BCC to 100 addresses one per minute
10 emails BCC to 100 addresses one per hour

I would think MS Office is good for managing a 100 customer list and using the email service provided by the home ISP. But a 1000 customer lists needs to be managed by 3rd party with software designed for the job at hand.

Thanks
Dan

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  10:48:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have only done a bulk email send once years ago to everyone that logged on to a vales.com game site in the last 6 months, a couple thousand back then and when it was server crisis time and everything was down.

I just wrote an e-mail routine on the server to pick through the web sites DB's and sent each individually.

I'm sure a newsletter for a service business with repeat customers is great if it is an Opt IN, but you might want to shy away from BCC's, at least for me when I see an e-mail to 'undisclosed recipients' which is what all the Blind Carbon Copy recipients get I know it's spam if I don't recognize the sender address it goes to trash.

An e-mail addressed to just one person sent individually makes a difference.

And a few questions...
What format is your DB of e-mail addresses in? Outlook on your PC, Excel, or comma deliminated .txt maybe? or a web site DB?

Doing it on your PC with Outlook might be tricky though, I've used it for years and I have never seen a way to auto send an E to a big list in a slow regulated way and make it look personal.

I can do it from this server though, I should still have the base code I used years ago to make it easy for me.

If you can export your e-mail list to a useable format of just Name, E-mail address (new line) in .txt format I can set you up with a login page to UL the current list and your html or text e-mail body once a month and send it with just a click.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  01:38:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks KC. Using BCC for an example may have been a bad idea.

The newsletters in question have been going out monthly for a long time now so thats not really a issue.

The issue is size. (800) But once we get her on over to a service provider (Mail Chimp most likely) and out of MS Office that problems gone too.

But for the time being she is still doing that the hard way (manually) and the ISP is still complaining. But Mail Chimp will solve those issues as well.

My guess is the ISP problem is not the 800 in one day. But because she is going 50 each time?
But that answer eludes for some reason.

quote:
in a slow regulated way
Any speed limit tips? 8)

-------- edit
Had to start over to make it more readable. 8/ knocks on wood

Edited by - WheelSmoke on 05/06/2012 2:40:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  7:12:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got what I was lookung for. ;)
Outdated but close enough...

Thanks again KC.

link: SMTP Sending Limit and Email Rate Limits for ISPs - Verizon, Comcast, EarthLink, etc

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000