Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 5:17:25 AM on 12/12/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Happy Cinco De Mayo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  10:54:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May 5th, when the Mexican army kicked the piss out of the French invaders and sent them packing.

Why do I care or wish you a Happy one?
It's a Saturday afternoon with an excuse to make Margarita's and eat Mexican food and take it easy simply by proximity to Mexico for me ;-}

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things ©¿©¬

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  6:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May 5th is also one of my brother's birthday. Needless to say, it's the easiest of my family's B-days to remember

A little known fact is that back in 1912, The Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of "Hellmann’s Mayonnaise" scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York. This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico but as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York.

The ship hit an iceberg and sank and the cargo was forever lost. The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course as Sinko de Mayo.

Getting real now. Amazing that Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican celebration day invented in the USA!

Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for "fifth of May") is a celebration held on May 5. It is celebrated nationwide in the United States and regionally in Mexico, primarily in the state of Puebla, where the holiday is called "El Día de la Batalla de Puebla" (English: The Day of the Battle of Puebla).

The date is observed in the United States as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride, and to commemorate the cause of freedom and democracy during the first years of the American Civil War.

In the state of Puebla, the date is observed to commemorate the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín.

Contrary to widespread popular belief, Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's Independence Day, the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico, which is actually celebrated on September 16

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  8:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seen that Mayonnaise joke coming half way into it but liked it just the same.

It is almost an obligation if you go out to a bar on 5/5 when you are in your mid 20's and run into a newbie or tourist to come up with a good story of what Cinco De Mayo is, and why the heck it is such a big party deal in Arizona.

I don't remember what stories we used back the, but in hindsight I think I'll just use this one I just though up.

Cinco De Mayo celebrates the day the first Mexican realized he could just step through that little barbed wire fence and pretend to be American.

The only reason we celebrate it in Arizona is because Cinco De Mayo is it is the only day of the year we can go to Mexican food restaurant or bar and even pay close to what we pay when we actually go to Mexico ;-}

All in fun guys, the wife and stayed in and ate Italian tonight.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things ©¿©¬
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000