Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 4:50:33 AM on 11/21/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Computer Specific Topics
 incomplete downloads
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2012 :  11:11:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a tough one for you. I am totally stumped. This one's a doozy!

I can't download most files anymore due to early termination of the download.

File size doesn't matter
------------------------
My PC will stop downloading at any time before it is finished with a DOWNLOAD COMPLETE message, leaving me with a partial and non-functional file. If it's a 10-meg download, it may stop and say "download complete" at only 6 megs. A 200-meg file may stop at 20-megs or at 195.

Browser doesn't matter
----------------------
It happens using Firefox, Chrome, IE-6 and now IE-8 (I upgraded I.E. hoping it would fix things). It can happen with or without the use of a download manager. It can happen with a regular file or a youtube video, it doesn't matter what the download is.

In fact, When watching Youtube videos live they too will freeze after several minutes, with no more data streaming to my PC unless I refresh the page and start the video over

Windows always acts like the file was completed....no resuming of the download is possible. It's "start over" every time. If there are 3 files downloading at the same time, they will all terminate simultaneously, even if all were started at different times.

For instance, I'm currently trying to update my video driver, but it's a 95-meg file, and so far I have 3 useless copies at 51-megs, 67-megs and 73-megs. I just can't get a full copy of ANYTHING.

Signal strength doesn't seem to be the problem. I'm using Google Metro WI-FI and have been for some 5 years now. The termination(s) happen regardless of connection quality. I've made no hardware changes for at least a couple of years.

This is really frustrating. I've never had this problem before, and GOOGLE searches tell me nothing. I've even gone as far as wiping my C: drive and re-installing my OS, but it didn't change a thing as far as the download problem goes.

If anyone has an idea of what's going on, please let me know. I'm screwed otherwise.

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  08:20:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doubtful it's the PC, try a different one with same Internet connection to verify this.
If another box fails too then it's your Wi-Fi, if not you may have a virus.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  3:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First thing I do is call the ISP and have them run a connection quality test. It only takes a minute.

Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  4:03:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have another PC available to try. At least not right now.

As far as the ISP goes, I'm using Google's free city-wide WI-FI, and so they could care less about my connection quality. It's not like I'm a paying customer or something. They just direct you to a google-wi-fi site with tips FAQs and such, but I saw no mention of this problem there.

But the problem occurs no matter what my connection quality. I can be showing 100% signal strength, 95% speed quality and a file downloading at 250kbps, and it will still stop early at some point. I never had that issue before even with much lower quality connections.

I've watched Task Manager to see if something is starting or running and interrupting the downloading data, but I saw nothing there either.

This is weird. because I've used this connection since 2007 or 2008 with never an issue like this. I can't imagine what kind of virus would cause these symptoms either, and anyway, I did do a clean re-install AFTER this problem began, so any connection-interrupting virus would have been removed then.

The only thing I could think of was that it might be intentional. The problem began AFTER Mega-upload was raided and the other file hosts either dropped the USA entirely or greatly reduced download ability of free files.

But since it interrupts the viewing of streaming videos too from sites like YouTube among others, I remain puzzled.

Only torrents can be downloaded since they are always resumable, though it can be hell trying to find new drivers via a torrent search.

Like I said, this one's a brain-stumper.

Go to Top of Page

XJ~Abuzer
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2012 :  01:36:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm....are you using built in WiFi in your computer or is it an add-in wifi card, or one of those USB wifi dongles? Maybe your wifi hardware is dying. I have nver seen them fade out like that, always just seen then stop working altogether but, hey, anything is possible. Is this a desktop or a laptop? Can you take it to another internet connection and try it there?
Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2012 :  10:13:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a plug-in PCI card that runs through a Hawkings 2-way signal booster. But the connections and signal look find as I stated. I see nothing that looks like it is "fading" or loosing power.

Anyway, if it were some kind of failure that led to a loss of connection, then would I not get an error message saying the download could not be completed? Whenever I lost connections in the past that's what happened. It never assumed the full file had downloaded before and then saved the results as if it were a complete download.

Go to Top of Page

[RCG]Balthazar
Administrator
MY PC

Norway
489 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  07:34:29 AM  Show Profile  Click to see [RCG]Balthazar's MSN Messenger address  Send [RCG]Balthazar a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've encountered this problem in the past. It allways mended itsself so I cant really explain it.
I think it mostly revolded aroud driver downloads though.
Heh, most everything else comes trough ftp or torrents...

Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2012 :  09:33:41 AM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
did you try linux/ubuntu.

thats about all the advice i can give you. if using a different OS or a new OS doesnt solve the problem then it must be something with the hardware.

maybe your ISP is just trolling you. hahaha

"Death can arrive a simple friend for those who die. It is never simple for those who survive." - quote from the book Legacy by Greg Bear.
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  07:25:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking maybe try using a browser that would resume DL's but that wouldn't help as it saying the download completed.
Have you tried DLing anything via FTP?
That might help narrow it down.

Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  10:49:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll give it a try.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  07:18:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have a site to FTP to? I can set you back up on my server.
Try FTP with your browser but also a stand alone program like FileZilla, I like FZ, I use it all the time.

Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2012 :  09:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I had a place to try....same issue.

Funny, I started to download CHROME to try that OS and see if there's any difference, and it took me a half hour because the download had to keep starting over. I finally got it, but the problem remains.

Oh well. I'll figure something.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  08:51:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just for giggles try your PC elsewhere and see if goes as it keeps coming back to your free internet to me.

Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  8:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I think I fixed it. I figured something in the network was interrupting downloads, so I researched there.

Exploring what was running in Task Manager, I noticed some items named SVCHOST.EXE, and one was labeled NETWORK SERVICE. Some investigation told me it might be an unnecessary service, so I deactivated it by going to START/RUN and typing in "SERVICES.MSC" (caps not necessary).

As of today I haven't seen any prematurely-ended downloads, and everything seems to work correctly. I just downloaded a 250 meg video from YouTube that previously would end too soon in the first 20-30 megs.

So far, so good. I believe I may have blindly stumbled over the solution. I'll let you know if the prob returns. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  05:14:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to hear ;-}

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2012 :  12:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well, I think I fixed it.

Problem solved?

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2012 :  1:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently so.

Go to Top of Page

JohnDoe3000
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  7:18:54 PM  Show Profile  Send JohnDoe3000 an AOL message  Send JohnDoe3000 an ICQ Message  Send JohnDoe3000 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have this same problem as well, but I'm on 56k dialup

The only explaination I ever got was because my internet was so slow, the download was timing out. I'm not to familiar with the term (hell I'm not even familiar with computers) but I was told that since it was downloading so slow, it would think it was finished and stop.

I too got the "download complete" and everything, and especially with larger files it seemed. I could download maybe 2 megs, but anything above it would "time out" and stop prematurely. Especially annoying when it would get to like, 11.9mb on a 12mb file. Sometimes, it would even say 12/12mb, but it would still be an incomplete file.

Bringing the topic back from the dead, my problem is still occuring. If anyone has ever found a solution (granted, me and bd have totally different systems/internet) I would love to hear it.

If two wrongs don't make a right, try <i>three.</i>
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2012 :  10:10:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get a download manager util, it will open multiple streams.
They will be slower but if one cuts off another will take over (supposedly) and it may even have a resume feature.

I routinely move several big files back and forth from server via FTP and just select what I want to transfer and it opens a new pipe for each one so it really does scoot along.

Dial-up, man that has got to be brutal.
One tip is just close everything running on your computer before you start, heck even Evo2 has 'enditall.exe' to kill anything slowing your computer and it could very well your end not responding back quick enough causing it.

A defrag wouldn't hurt either.
If your computer is too slow to even take a 56K dial-up you need to do eveything you can to give the transfer all the response time.

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  1:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JohnDoe3000, If you have not already ruled out problems at the source (your telephone connection) it would be a good (and easy) troubleshooting start point as well.

Your ISP or your voice customer support person should be able to do a "connection quality test" or "line quality test" for you in about thirty seconds. A test that showed problems may be called something like noisy, dirty, or a short depending on who your talking to.

Hearing static or clicks while talking on a phone connected to that line would be a sure sign of wiring troubles too.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  10:34:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It just dawned on me how a slow computer can be the problem...
I am not talking hardware specs, I am talking about all the other crap the CPU is doing when you want to pay attention to a download and with no response it just times out.
I am going to take my own advice and find that topic here about hoe to speed up your computer and follow the procedure as I can't even watch Utube vid stream now yet my BlueRay player Internet steams run seamless.

Hence here it at least it's not the connection, it the player, in our case the PC.

Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  3:47:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I turn off all background extras, and set windows screen setting to maximum performance, basically turning off all visual special effects in menus and the like.

Still, I prefer to download 'tube videos and watch them in real time, saving copies of the one's I want to keep and deleting the rest after viewing.

No video glitches or pauses ever that way.

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  12:25:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apples and oranges these days.

Go to Top of Page

XJ~Abuzer
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  5:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WheelSmoke

Apples and oranges these days.

Didn't you mean apples, penguins, robots, and windows?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000