Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 4:53:41 AM on 11/21/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Computer Specific Topics
 looking for a personal server
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2012 :  1:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hello. im interested in buying a server in which i can run a minecraft server, teamspeak serve, and possibly a FTP server as well.

ill ask for details on how to set up the ftp later, but first i need suggestions on a computer.
what do you think would be best for my needs. i dont really have any experience with running a server macine, i run a minecraft server off my laptop but i just dont have enough ram. i'm looking for something with 4gb+ ram for $400-$500.
im looking around on web, altex has a server for $816, and thats their cheapest. im still looking around on amazon. i found 1 there for $400 but it only had 2gb ram.

thanks

"Death can arrive a simple friend for those who die. It is never simple for those who survive." - quote from the book Legacy by Greg Bear.

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2012 :  6:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How can the bandwidth (speed) you will need from a ISP not be a bigger problem than that hardware for your wallet?

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  07:32:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brutus-tobias

hello. im interested in buying a server
A server is just a PC with the right OS. This site is on a Windows 2003 kick butt fast box with like a Terabyte of disc space but you don't need that.

FTP, web sites, game hosting, whatever, you'll want a static IP.
Your Internet Provider most likely blocks port 80 which is what web servers use but you can use something like 8080 and it will work.

Most server are Unix/Linux based and if you know that OS you can do great things but if you want to run windows server apps just get Win2K for cheap and you are good to go.
If you go Windows I have an FTP program.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  07:37:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, come to think of it XP Pro has the IIS server, I remember enabling it with a couple of web pages and FTP a few years back but dealing with sometimes changing IP address made it not worth the resource waste.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  07:59:45 AM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WheelSmoke

How can the bandwidth (speed) you will need from a ISP not be a bigger problem than that hardware for your wallet?

that is a good point WS. right now it's just for personal needs. like a ftp server so i can backup files from school and whatnot.

i only have maybe a max of 5 to 10 players on my server at 1 time. guess i'll need to do some stress testing with the new computer.

right now my internet can handle no more than 10 people i guess.
one of the reasons why i needed a server is so that me and my friend can play adventure maps on minecraft and be able to record video as well. which is hard to do when you have the sever and the minecraft client running off the same computer.

like i said, its a personal server. not one of those massive gaming clans you see around with a server for every one of their games. right now, with 5 people on the server. my internet is fine.
DSL wideband. 256kbps. which is enough, i guess. as no one has complained as of yet.

yeah, i'm not going to go into the really complicated server hosting stuff. right now i know how to setup my minecraft server and teamspeak server on any computer. just have to portforward the incomming traffic from the router. and i do have Ubuntu on a flashdrive, but i know close to nothing about the capabilities of linux and how to use it.

i'll let you know what computer i get. and i am interested on that FTP program you have. and of course, i have no idea how that works either. to google!

minecraft runs off of port 25565 and teamspeak 3 uses port 9987.
peripherals are no problem in my opinion. once i get teamviewer installed and running on the server, well you know, i can access it anywhere.

"Death can arrive a simple friend for those who die. It is never simple for those who survive." - quote from the book Legacy by Greg Bear.

Edited by - brutus-tobias on 05/31/2012 08:08:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

outbackshaq
Better Poster
MY PC

Canada
380 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  08:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Click to see outbackshaq's MSN Messenger address  Send outbackshaq a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just a note, Minecraft (and probably teamspeak) can change the port if you need it to. simply go into the server.properties and change "server-port=" to what ever you want. for teamspeak your on your own though :P

There's always a work around ;)
Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  06:20:29 AM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by outbackshaq

Just a note, Minecraft (and probably teamspeak) can change the port if you need it to. simply go into the server.properties and change "server-port=" to what ever you want. for teamspeak your on your own though :P

yep, thats why im not worried about ports. teamspeak works the same way as minecraft. there's a config file i believe and you just go change the port within there. the default port like i said is 9987.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000