Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 4:57:47 AM on 11/21/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Computer Specific Topics
 weird windows log in issues
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  8:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hello. just thought i'd let yall know what happened to me today.

today my computer froze because i ran out of ram. (i run a minecraft server on this laptop) so i force shutdown. and when i booted it back up and got to the windows log in screen, i was unable to log into my account. it was saying username/password was incorrect. and not just me but to the other 2 accounts on this computer.

however after a restart i was able successfully log back into my account.

anyone know why this happened? should i be worried at all? maybe something didn't load up correctly.

oh and windows has been wanting to do a disk check for the past 2 weeks now. i've never done it as i'd like to have my server running as much as possible.

"Death can arrive a simple friend for those who die. It is never simple for those who survive." - quote from the book Legacy by Greg Bear.

boom50cal
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
248 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  8:39:37 PM  Show Profile  Click to see boom50cal's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Run the diskcheck, could be hard drive problems. What OS are you running?

If it's broke FIX it. If it's not broke, OVERCLOCK it. If OVERCLOCKING breaks it, get ready to buy a new one
Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  1:53:45 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
oh sorry, i'm using a Compaq Presario CQ61-420US
uses a Hitachi hard drive i believe. 200gb

Windows 7 Home Premium. i think. i almost never turn this computer off now and when i do it's either put into sleep mode or hibernation. though i do update windows whenever it asks.

Yep, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. 3gb ddr2 ram @ 399mhz.

i guess you could have just gone to the My PC section of the forums and find my laptop but that's no fun now is it?

"Death can arrive a simple friend for those who die. It is never simple for those who survive." - quote from the book Legacy by Greg Bear.
Go to Top of Page

Mebla
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  07:05:41 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Mebla's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
399mhz? i didnt know ram went that low (nowadays)

Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  8:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
oh sorry, i'm using a Compaq Presario CQ61-420US
uses a Hitachi hard drive i believe. 200gb...

...Yep, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. 3gb ddr2 ram @ 399mhz.

quote:
Originally posted by Mebla

399mhz? i didnt know ram went that low (nowadays)

The Compaq Presario CQ61-420US uses PC2-6400 DDR2 modules,
which are rated at 800-mhz.

Unlike older DDR modules, the internal clock speed of a DDR2 is half the data I/O rate. In other words your RAM modules and the data bus of your laptop's motherboard are described as 800-mhz, not 400 mhz items (or 399).

The two PC2-4200 modules I just bought were described as 533-mhz units, as were the RAM slots of my desktop PC.

Here's a reference.

[center] [/cwenter]

Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  9:17:44 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
ah i see. that explains why different websites and programs either say 399mhz or 800mhz.

thanks a lot.
oh and i did that disk check. windows said everything is fine. guess it was just a bad start up. it hasn't since so thats good.

i'd forgotten that DDR meant Double Data Rate. so how is DDR1 and DDR3 different from DDR2?

oh and the hard drive is 250gb but with all the fomatting and partitions i only get 216gb of useable space

Go to Top of Page

Mebla
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2012 :  2:43:40 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Mebla's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

i'd forgotten that DDR meant Double Data Rate. so how is DDR1 and DDR3 different from DDR2?

oh and the hard drive is 250gb but with all the fomatting and partitions i only get 216gb of useable space

the DDR 1-2-3 its just different versions idk if ive heared of just DDR i think they just skipped from SD to DDR2 heh

as for your hard drive it keeps a bit of storage for the trash bin basicly.
Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2012 :  6:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not exactly....

When I delete stuff to the recycle bin you'd think that it would no longer take space on the hard drive. But intact when it's deleted it still takes up space on the hard drive like it normally does.

Go to Top of Page

Mebla
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  2:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Mebla's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well i really just forgot the real reason and that was my best guess but 5 secs of googling fixed that

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/266963
Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  7:22:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brutus-tobias

Let's ask Mr. Whoopie:

DDR
"Double data rate synchronous dynamic random-access memory (DDR SDRAM) is a class of memory integrated circuits used in computers. DDR SDRAM (sometimes referred to as DDR1 SDRAM) has been superseded by DDR2 SDRAM and DDR3 SDRAM, neither of which are either forward or backward compatible with DDR SDRAM, meaning that DDR2 or DDR3 memory modules will not work in DDR equipped motherboards, and vice versa.

Compared to single data rate (SDR) SDRAM, the DDR SDRAM interface makes higher transfer rates possible by more strict control of the timing of the electrical data and clock signals...The interface uses double pumping (transferring data on both the rising and falling edges of the clock signal) to lower the clock frequency. One advantage of keeping the clock frequency down is that it reduces the signal integrity requirements on the circuit board connecting the memory to the controller. The name "double data rate" refers to the fact that a DDR SDRAM with a certain clock frequency achieves nearly twice the bandwidth of a single data rate (SDR) SDRAM running at the same clock frequency, due to this double pumping."

DDR2
"In addition to double pumping the data bus as in DDR SDRAM, DDR2 allows higher bus speed and requires lower power by running the internal clock at half the speed of the data bus. The two factors combine to require a total of four data transfers per internal clock cycle."

DDR3
"In computing, DDR3 SDRAM, an abbreviation for double data rate type three synchronous dynamic random access memory, is a modern kind of dynamic random access memory (DRAM) with a high bandwidth interface, and has been in use since 2007. DDR3 SDRAM is neither forward nor backward compatible with any earlier type of random access memory (RAM) due to different signaling voltages, timings, and other factors.

DDR3 is a DRAM interface specification. The actual DRAM arrays that store the data are similar to earlier types, with similar performance.

The primary benefit of DDR3 SDRAM over its immediate predecessor, DDR2 SDRAM, is its ability to transfer data at twice the rate (eight times the speed of its internal memory arrays), enabling higher bandwidth or peak data rates. With two transfers per cycle of a quadrupled clock, a 64-bit wide DDR3 module may achieve a transfer rate of up to 64 times the memory clock speed in megabytes per second (MB/s)."

quote:

Not exactly....

When I delete stuff to the recycle bin you'd think that it would no longer take space on the hard drive. But intact when it's deleted it still takes up space on the hard drive like it normally does.

The recycle bin is like the trash can next to your desk. IN fact, I think it was called "Trash" at one time.

And like that waste basket near you, it's when you dump the trash that's physically in it that it becomes truly empty, and space (memory) is freed up. Otherwise everything you threw away is right there next to you still.

Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  02:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Otherwise everything you threw away is right there next to you still.

And on the floor.

And thanks for the explanation. It really made me feel like a dork. I'll never forget it.

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  1:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check out the results for a single test file "d:\WhoDeletedMyAssAnyway.txt" that I created/deleted/searched for on my computers hard disks.

NTFS file system.

HD #0 = 1-NTFS (C:) & 1-EISA (hidden)
HD #1 = 3-NTFS (S:, D:, X:) & 1-EISA (hidden)

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  07:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

...when i booted it back up and got to the windows log in screen, i was unable to log into my account. it was saying username/password was incorrect. and not just me but to the other 2 accounts on this computer.

however after a restart i was able successfully log back into my account.
You accidentally hit the Caps Lock key the first time ;-}

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000