Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 8:03:48 AM on 11/23/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Computer Specific Topics
 serious question about running Guild Wars 2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  6:04:47 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i don't know if any of yall are up to date on what's new in the gaming industry, but Guild Wars 2 is to be released about a month from now.

they're doing beta events for those who pre-purchase the game and i was thinking about buying it. how ever i don't know if my computer will run it properly.

my computer doesn't meet many of the minimum requirements for most of my games yet i can get a decent frame rate with the graphics all the way down.

anyway, as you know i have a Compaq Presario CQ61-420US
4gb DDR2 ram @800mhz
250gb hitachi sata harddrive 7200rpm
ATI Radeon HD 4200

anyway i went to one of those "can your computer run it" websites and it i put guild wars up and a game i know i can play with 30 fps, DiRT 3.

here they are.
GW2: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/analysis.aspx?name=Guild Wars 2&id=11297
DiRT3: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/analysis.aspx?name=DiRT 3&id=11141

the website says my video card fails for GW2 and my CPU fails for DiRT3. however they both fall short of the minimum requirements about the same distance.

should i get it? its $60. and i can't exactly torrent the game and try it out since it's an online game.

i know a few of you out there play games.

i'll go ahead and throw in deusEX HR http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/analysis.aspx?name=Deus Ex%3a Human Revolution&id=11150 which says i meet the minimum requirements yet the game runs on about 15-20fps. and here's assasin's creed revelations. http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/analysis.aspx?name=Assassin%27s Creed%3a Revelations&id=11229 which i meet minimum requirements as well and i get an even lower framerate than deus ex, infact if i want to play those 2 games with a decent framerate i've got to turn on game booster.

anyway i'd like yall's opinion or comments on the matter, and any experience you can give about playing games like this with a crud video card.

"Death can arrive a simple friend for those who die. It is never simple for those who survive." - quote from the book Legacy by Greg Bear.

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  7:00:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brutus-tobias

the website says my video card fails for GW2 and my CPU fails for DiRT3. however they both fall short of the minimum requirements about the same distance.

should i get it?

Looks to me like they've already answered that question. Failed means failed.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  07:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I concur, don't waste your money, save up and buy a better computer ;-}

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  5:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KC

I concur, don't waste your money, save up and buy a better computer ;-}

and that's where i'm stuck. do i buy the game and take the risk that my computer can run it. i mean, i've failed other minimum requirements yet my computer can run the game with 20+ fps. should i take a chance with guildwars 2? uhh... i believe i have about $270. about $150 in my savings and $120 i have in my wallet from graduation gifts.

i was thinking about getting a desktop with similar specs to my laptop. i think i saw a computer on frys for $450 with same specs as my laptop but with a better vid card (the computer is close to $200 cheaper than my laptop) so that's pretty much my goal right now, and then i'll upgrade that desktop as i see fit.

i guess i can just go post in the gw2 forums and ask. surely someone out there has bought the game and tried to play it with same system specs as me.

but still, the website says i fail DiRT 3 but i get 30 fps. and says that i fail the minimum requirements.

actually i'm just going to try all my games and you guys tell me how weird it is.

so Dirt 3, gw2, deus ex, and assasins creed are up there.
of course i can run evo2 and evo1 on highest settings. and still get 70+ fps

Arma II: everything passes except the vid card. i dont know what portion of the video card fails. i've played the demo on steam just fine. thought with a really low resolution (800x600) and graphics all the way down. and only get about 15 or 20 fps.

Minecraft: of course i pass for this. i can play with with pretty good graphics, though i turn off smooth lighting and fancy graphics since i run the server off this same laptop. with both running my CPU tops off around 85% to 95%.

Avatar (James Cameron's): i pass for this too. though ive got to put the res down to the lowest as well as graphics. i get about 25fps.

Modern Warfare 3: i failed this one too, but i can play it on lowest resolution and graphics all the way down and never drop below 25fps.

Combat Arms: a pass with flying colors, i can play this game with everything on high and get about 40 fps. unless im playing cabin fever in which case on lowest settings my frame rate drops to about 11, sometimes 5fps if theres about 150 zombies on the map at once. probably the most demanding gamemode in the game.

GRID: grid passes as well. though it doesnt say that windows 7 is supported, it works anyway. i could play this game with decent to low graphics on 800x600 res and get 35+ fps

Left 4 Dead: another pass. can't remember what settings i had and i don't remember what fps as it's been more than a year since i played it.

World of Tanks: again, another pass. lowest settings gets me about 25 fps. doesn't drop below 20fps. been about half a year since i played this game. memory is fuzzy.

Battle Stations Pacific: a fail. on lowest settings i get about 15 to 20 fps. been more than a year since ive played it.

Vindictus: and the website says i pass this with flying colors, which is bull s**. i can barely play this game on lowest settings and get a decent framerate in battles. though most the time the frame rate is around 25 or 30.

and other games i have that don't show up on Can You Run It.
Igneous, Nitronic Rush, Lord of the Rings Online, Quake 3 arena, Touhou game series (not that demanding of a game, 60fps all the time).

notes...
a decent framerate for me is 15 fps.
when i say for example, 20+fps. it usually goes about 15fps higher.
so if i were to say 30+ fps my lowest would be 30, and the highest would 45.

it's all a bit confusing i know.

just found out that none of the cyri links work. sorry about that. makes things a bit weird as you can't see how my computer does.

"Death can arrive a simple friend for those who die. It is never simple for those who survive." - quote from the book Legacy by Greg Bear.

Edited by - brutus-tobias on 07/21/2012 5:04:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  01:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
and that's where i'm stuck. do i buy the game and take the risk that my computer can run it.

I believe KC and I already answered that question. It's up to you whether you want to accept the advice or not. That's optional of course.

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  10:32:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Save your money bro!

Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2012 :  1:25:51 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I guess.
I need to get new speakers anyway.
I have some pretty big speakers velcroed to the bottom of the top shelf of my desk. The glue is wearing out and the speaker has crashed down on my laptop three times already. I have no room to put them elsewhere.

Go to Top of Page

Mebla
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2012 :  5:16:10 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Mebla's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i actualy played the beta world vs world vs world is AMAZING im still having withdrawls from how much fun i had playing a spell casting class with a greatsword! i heared if you can run the first guild wars on high you can run the second 1 on medium. they're still optimizing the game with my 200$ graphics card and about 50 people infront of me seaging a castle casting spells i got a lil under 20 frames a second some time if thats a refrense to work off.

Edit: all of this being on the highest graphic setting at all times

Edited by - Mebla on 07/23/2012 5:17:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

FaustKnight
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2012 :  7:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Click to see FaustKnight's MSN Messenger address  Send FaustKnight a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
"What should I do?"
"Save your money for a new pc"
"Save your money"

"What should I do?"
"Save your money"
"We already told you"

"Well I do need speakers..."

I think I see where this one is goin.

XPS M1710: Windows MCE/WindowBlinds XP
3D Mark 2005 10,275 - 3D Mark 2006 5,746
Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  12:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is that near the corner of 'new game' highway and 'broke my hardware' road. LoL...

Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  10:05:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WheelSmoke

quote:

Is that near the corner of 'new game' highway and 'broke my hardware' road. LoL...

Yep, right out there on the way to "I'm broke...can I borrow a couple bucks?" Valley...

Go to Top of Page

[RCG]Balthazar
Administrator
MY PC

Norway
489 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  2:42:43 PM  Show Profile  Click to see [RCG]Balthazar's MSN Messenger address  Send [RCG]Balthazar a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Get some better Glue and save even more money.
In six months time current games and hardware are allready old
so you can afford it

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000