Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 5:01:34 AM on 11/21/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Computer Specific Topics
 help finding a laptop lid
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  10:06:51 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello. My cousin recently came to me to fix her laptop. It has a broken hinge.

Her sister jumped on the lid and ripped the hinge right out of the plastic display enclosure (top of laptop lid, with the logo). Also the display bracket was broken too.
I told her i'd be willing to fix it if she pays for the parts. We got a new bracket for $15 but i still need the plastic lid.

I've been searching around on google and all i've been finding are lids for $50 or more. i saw a used on sold on ebay for $94 and ive seen as high as $111. How can something made of plastic be so much?!

anyway i'm having trouble finding the part for under $50. if you guys want to help me search, thanks. in the mean time, i'll continue searching.

derp... forgot to tell yall what im specificly looking for.
she has an HP G50-102NR. very similar to my Compaq Presario CQ61-420US. only her's is easier to take apart.
anyway the part # i need is 487605-001. that's the number for the display enclosure.

"Death can arrive a simple friend for those who die. It is never simple for those who survive." - quote from the book Legacy by Greg Bear.

Edited by - brutus-tobias on 07/29/2012 10:08:59 PM

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  10:25:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a feeling $50 is the best you are going to find. They don't sell a heck of a lot of those lids, so the price will be up there simply due to low manufacturing quantities.

The more total items you make of something, the cheaper each individual item will cost to make, as development, start-up and production costs are spread out and shared among more units.

Just my thoughts.

Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  11:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
well i found one on the manufacturer's website for $39.90
i'm going to wait for the websites i asked quotes for to call me back tomorrow and i'll know then who i'll be buying from.

"Death can arrive a simple friend for those who die. It is never simple for those who survive." - quote from the book Legacy by Greg Bear.
Go to Top of Page

Mebla
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  06:09:19 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Mebla's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
seems like you could have solved this whole thing with alot of duck tape
Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  10:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brutus-tobias

well i found one on the manufacturer's website for $39.90
i'm going to wait for the websites i asked quotes for to call me back tomorrow and i'll know then who i'll be buying from.

"Caveat emptor", Latin for "Let the buyer beware" is an old proverb with great wisdom behind it.

Take note that the price you found was for a refurbished lid, not a new one... and that there's an exchange requirement to get that sub-$40 price.

If you don't pack-up and ship your cracked lid to them within 3 days after receiving your replacement lid so that they receive the broken exchange item within a specific time, the price DOUBLES! Wow!

See for yourself with this screen shot of HP's parts page. Note the "Core Charge" for the lower-listed replacement lid...

Since you might have to pay the shipping charges to send the broken part to them anyway, I think I'd go for the $52 offering (no part exchange required) and be done with it. It's only $12 more to avoid all the extra bull and potential hassles of shipping and what-not, a bargain in my world.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000