Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 4:46:19 AM on 11/21/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Computer Specific Topics
 Getting a PC for the first time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ROCKFACE
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  1:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I've been a Mac guy my whole life, but now my wife is taking some college classes that require her to use a PC and run Revvit and AutoCAD. I'm bringing this question to this forum because I'm also a long time player of 4x4 Evo2, and would love to be able to install the game on that PC as well. I don't know if modern PCs can run older games like Evo2.

Can you help me figure out where is the best place to build up a machine at a good price to run that software?

Thanks!

ragefit
Been Around a Bit
MY PC

44 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  2:35:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your best bet is to build on on your own. You'll save a bunch of money, plus it won't have bloatware that computer manufacturer's usually add to PC's.
I recommend looking things up on Newegg. They usually have the best prices and great customer service.
I strongly recommend getting Windows 7 64 bit as your operating system.
I have Windows 7 and it runs Evo2 fine. You just need to either grant Evo2 admin privileges or install it somewhere other than Program Files.
Expect to spend ~$500 for a good Windows machine (including monitor, keyboard, mouse, tower, operating system)

Building a PC is pretty much like lego's really. All plug and play as long as you check compatability.
In fact, I've got nothing to do today. I'll mess around on Newegg and find a parts list for a decent machine and post my results here.
Go to Top of Page

ROCKFACE
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  2:39:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey thanks man. that's above and beyond what i was expecting someone to do.

quote:
Originally posted by ragefit

Your best bet is to build on on your own. You'll save a bunch of money, plus it won't have bloatware that computer manufacturer's usually add to PC's.
I recommend looking things up on Newegg. They usually have the best prices and great customer service.
I strongly recommend getting Windows 7 64 bit as your operating system.
I have Windows 7 and it runs Evo2 fine. You just need to either grant Evo2 admin privileges or install it somewhere other than Program Files.
Expect to spend ~$500 for a good Windows machine (including monitor, keyboard, mouse, tower, operating system)

Building a PC is pretty much like lego's really. All plug and play as long as you check compatability.
In fact, I've got nothing to do today. I'll mess around on Newegg and find a parts list for a decent machine and post my results here.

Go to Top of Page

ragefit
Been Around a Bit
MY PC

44 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  3:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have an idea on the budget you have? Also, do you have a monitor?
I was looking and noticed that the price of harddrives is still very high.
I bought a 1Tb drive a year ago for $60, the current price for it is $90
I did a quick build, sort of like a "If i had to replace my currant PC, this is everything I'd replace it with" and it came out to $950.
That includes one of the best thermal pastes available, an upgraded heatsink/fan, two harddrives (one for windows, one for storage,) a pretty decent case with good cooling, a midrange video card.
If all you wanted was to run Autocad, Revvit, and Evo2; I could dull down all of that and drop the price quite a bit. I'll be researching into Revvit and Autocad a bit to get a better idea on what it needs (whether it focuses on processing or video power more)
Go to Top of Page

ROCKFACE
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  5:01:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somewhere in the 5-600 range.

quote:

Have an idea on the budget you have? Also, do you have a monitor?
I was looking and noticed that the price of harddrives is still very high.
I bought a 1Tb drive a year ago for $60, the current price for it is $90
I did a quick build, sort of like a "If i had to replace my currant PC, this is everything I'd replace it with" and it came out to $950.
That includes one of the best thermal pastes available, an upgraded heatsink/fan, two harddrives (one for windows, one for storage,) a pretty decent case with good cooling, a midrange video card.
If all you wanted was to run Autocad, Revvit, and Evo2; I could dull down all of that and drop the price quite a bit. I'll be researching into Revvit and Autocad a bit to get a better idea on what it needs (whether it focuses on processing or video power more)

Go to Top of Page

ragefit
Been Around a Bit
MY PC

44 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  5:59:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright, thanks. I've looked into Revvit and AutoCad. They focus more on RAM and processor than video.
What kind of games would you be wanting to play?
If it's just ones like Evo, I can cut things down a lot

Edit; heres my public wishlist on Newegg for the build;
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=24743107
It came out to $700 almost.
The major killers are the HD, Windows, and the monitor.
It'd be ~$465 for everything but Windows and the monitor.
I believe there are close to $40 in mail-in rebates as well.
If either of you are students, I'm fairly sure that there is some sort of discount threw Microsoft for buying Windows.
I could probably find ways to lower the price more, but then I'd start getting into getting products with less reviews/lower reviews, and I feel it's worth paying a bit more for a better product. I have personally used the RAM, thermal compound, and I'm fairly certain that I also have that DVD drive. All of them have worked very well for me.
I also have an ECS motherboard and can say that they have very good customer support, if anything ever happens after your warranty is out. I've had my motherboard from them for almost 3 years now. A few months ago, I accidentally broke one of the clips holding my heatsink on. I emailed them asking what it'd cost for a new clip, they told me to send them my address, within a few days a brand new clip was at my door for free.

Edited by - ragefit on 08/05/2012 6:41:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

[RCG]Balthazar
Administrator
MY PC

Norway
489 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  12:12:57 AM  Show Profile  Click to see [RCG]Balthazar's MSN Messenger address  Send [RCG]Balthazar a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not much to tweak there, other than maybe better cpu and if moneys tight a weaker video card.
How about a used monitor?
I like your list, rage!

Go to Top of Page

ragefit
Been Around a Bit
MY PC

44 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  3:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That CPU passes the requirements and even recommended on the programs he listed. The original list had a Phenom 2 x4, but it was an extra $25.
These days, i wouldnt get too much weaker of a video card. I think that one has an excellent price/performance ratio. Plus, the monitor in the list is 1920x1080, so a bit extra performance is needed.
I bet you could get a similar monitor used for 40 less in a pawn shop
Go to Top of Page

ROCKFACE
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  11:52:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow thanks! is there a way to eliminate buying a monitor by using my iMac as the display so I don't have to buy an additional monitor?

and no, i only plan on playing evo2 on it. i buy my games for XBOX nowadays.

quote:

That CPU passes the requirements and even recommended on the programs he listed. The original list had a Phenom 2 x4, but it was an extra $25.
These days, i wouldnt get too much weaker of a video card. I think that one has an excellent price/performance ratio. Plus, the monitor in the list is 1920x1080, so a bit extra performance is needed.
I bet you could get a similar monitor used for 40 less in a pawn shop

Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  4:05:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ROCKFACE

wow thanks! is there a way to eliminate buying a monitor by using my iMac as the display so I don't have to buy an additional monitor?

and no, i only plan on playing evo2 on it. i buy my games for XBOX nowadays.

How to Use iMac As a PC Monitor
by Aramenta Waithe, Demand Media

http://techtips.salon.com/use-imac-pc-monitor-1648.html

"The 27-inch Apple iMac is both a computer and a monitor in one package. The iMac has a display resolution of 2560-by-1440 pixels and has an LED backlight for smooth brightness and color response.

If you purchased an iMac, you might find the display so pleasant to use you may decide to use it as an external monitor for your Windows-based PC. If your PC has a video card with a Mini DisplayPort output, the iMac can automatically pick up the computer's video output and display it on the large screen.

Items you will need
-------------------
27-inch Apple iMac
Mini DisplayPort (male)-to-Mini DisplayPort (male) cable
Video card with DisplayPort output

Step 1
------
Shut down the Windows PC and iMac.

Step 2
------
Plug the video cable into the Mini DisplayPort connector on your PC's video card.

Step 3
------
Plug the second end of the video cable into the Mini DisplayPort connector on the back of the iMac, to the left of the Ethernet port. Above the Mini DisplayPort connector is an icon of a rectangle flanked by two vertical lines.

Step 4
------
Turn on the PC and iMac. The iMac detects the PC's video output through the Mini DisplayPort, entering its built-in "Target Display Mode" and acting as an external monitor.

Step 5
------
Right-click the desktop after the Windows desktop finishes loading, and select "Screen Resolution."

Step 6
------
Click the "Resolution" pull-down menu and select "2560 x 1440."

Step 7
------
Click "OK" to adjust the video output of your Windows PC to match the resolution of the iMac's screen."

Go to Top of Page

ragefit
Been Around a Bit
MY PC

44 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  5:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw that guide. I also looked elsewhere. Some people said that you can do that, others said it didn't work.
The issue with that, even if it does work, is that the Mac and PC both have to be running at the same time.
You'll waste a lot of electricity and produce way more heat than needed
You'd also need a video card with a display port, as well as a better video card for the high resolution. A display port isn't on most video cards (that I've seen anyways.)

Edited by - ragefit on 08/07/2012 5:53:13 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000