Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 4:48:52 AM on 11/21/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Computer Specific Topics
 How to network our home
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  2:34:46 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello.

I found myself another challenge. networking our devices in our house.
i've no idea how it works except that you need to join the network, share your folders, and add devices.

well here's the setup i'm looking for.
we have an AT&T modem/router broadband N/B/G (its broadcasting all 3 at the moment). anyway i need to connect my laptop, my dad's laptop, our desktop, and our printer.

the 2 laptops are wireless. the desktop is wired into the modem/router. and the printer is connected via USB to the desktop. the printer is also wireless but it broadcasts it's own wifi and to use it you have install a bunch of complicated software that is super hard to find if you dont have the disk anymore (we dont have the disk).

one laptop is windows 7 home premium. and the other laptop and desktop are windows vista home basic.

does any1 have any experience with networking computers and devices. windows 7 makes it somewhat easy with the "homegroup" thing but vista doesn't have that

i've named the network on the desktop and shared its hard drive but i don't know where to go from there. according to windows 7 i can access it by going to \\RANZAU\c or http://RANZAU/c but neither work.

any help please. or even a simple guide. but the most important thing to us is connecting that printer. we can do without shared folders, we just want that printer working for everyone and not just for our desktop.

"Death can arrive a simple friend for those who die. It is never simple for those who survive." - quote from the book Legacy by Greg Bear.

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  6:07:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure KC will respond eventually, but for now maybe you can find useful information at this site: http://compnetworking.about.com/od/homenetworking/Home_Networking_Setting_Up_a_Home_Network.htm

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  08:28:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am starting to get a little irritated with you brutus-tobias.
I recommend you learn how to use Google, or better yet go take a frigg'n computer class because this is getting just ridiculous.

This is NOT ASK.COM because you are too lazy to learn or search on your own. What you just can't seem to grasp is if you actually learn how something works first you will always know, just asking for the answer teaches you nothing thus making you always reliant on someone else, do you understand?

Take a break from video games and Sponge Bob and spend some time learning how things work, it's easy these days.
I Googled 'Home Networking Classes' and found this in less than a minute.
http://education-portal.com/articles/10_Places_to_Find_Free_Computer_Networking_Tutorials_on_the_Web.html

Do you get my point?

If not let me make my point again...

IF YOU WANT TO FIX SOMETHING LEARN HOW IT WORKS FIRST!

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000