Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 5:01:02 AM on 11/21/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Computer Specific Topics
 Corrupted BIOS, a pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Horseman
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  11:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, since I am able to get in here, now... here's the trouble, and I hope someone can help me so I don't have to spend a fortune!

Computer is a Laptop, Compaq Presario CQ61-410US. No Hard drive (Burned out) so I was booting Linux from a CD (Which proved to be a pain...the CD Drive doesn't work well)

Was trying to book linux, couldn't get the thing to boot up. Took out the Windows 7 recovery disk, but it gave black screen. I then noticed the CAPS LOCK and NUM LOCK keys were blinking 2 times, pause, then repeat. My information indicates corrupted BIOS.

I've tried the Hard Reset. Unplugged, removed battery, pushed button for a minute, plugged in again. No result, but just a repeat of the problem. I hooked an external monitor to the laptop. Nothing. Just the same problem. I tried to reboot linux, Windows 7, DOS 6.22 -- Nothing worked.

I have no accessories hooked up to that computer. The built-in ports are empty, the built in modem is not plugged in.

I've pulled the memory chips, put back one at a time, rotating them, checking, but the problem remains. If both memory boards are out, there's nothing either.

The power supply is good. The computer ITSELF is good except for this apparent BIOS problem. Can't Flash the BIOS if I can't boot up, so far as I can tell.

What can I do here? Am I going to have to replace the chip?

"Place me down in darkness, whither I shall go. Place me down in darkness, six feet below." -- Poem Take Me to the Graveyard

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  06:52:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you get into BIOS on power on before it goes through the post?
On most PC's it is Ctrl S.

I am not that familiar with laptop motherboards but does it have a BIOS clear jumper?
In short it just opens the CMOS battery clearing all the settings.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page

Horseman
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  1:48:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KC

Can you get into BIOS on power on before it goes through the post?
On most PC's it is Ctrl S.

I am not that familiar with laptop motherboards but does it have a BIOS clear jumper?
In short it just opens the CMOS battery clearing all the settings.

I don't have it set to show POST, but even then -- the screen remains black. I ought to have mentioned that. I can't get anything to show up. Not BIOS, with F10, or Boot order with F2, and I have no idea what to look for when it comes to a jumper. I DID remove the battery for CMOS, hoping it would clear the BIOS, but it didn't work. I will TRY that control S, see if it makes a difference, but I'm not betting on it. I'd rather bet on a football game! Even THAT. :) IF Control-S works, I'll report back to you shortly. If not, you know it didn't. :(

Checked. Nothing. Now, even the fan is questionable -- can't feel it running. Still hoping for a working plan. Thanks.

"Place me down in darkness, whither I shall go. Place me down in darkness, six feet below." -- Poem Take Me to the Graveyard

Edited by - Horseman on 11/04/2012 1:58:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  5:47:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a manufactures support link that might help.
Reading the whole document would be good. But if not then take a look at the section called " Recovering the BIOS using an external storage device."

Good luck.
Just in case you need some of that too. 8)

Go to Top of Page

Horseman
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  6:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WheelSmoke

Here is a manufactures support link that might help.
Reading the whole document would be good. But if not then take a look at the section called " Recovering the BIOS using an external storage device."

Good luck.
Just in case you need some of that too. 8)

Unfortunately, this was one of the first things tried. And it's troubling, but my computer did not support the function. Ah, well. It looks like this thing is destined for the recycle center.

Thanks for trying...But if there are any other ideas, I'd love to try 'em.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2012 :  06:37:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well with not function at all I think you are right, time for something new.
Do you need a laptop, or would a real PC work?
I ask because PC's are cheap and easy to work on.

Go to Top of Page

Horseman
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2012 :  09:20:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I often wind up in the hospital. I need a laptop to continue my writing work. If I'm at home, there's no problem...but a laptop is a "necessary evil" for the times I'm stuck in the hospital.

Go to Top of Page

Horseman
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  08:38:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still looking around... is it possible to boot a corrupted BIOS with a "Bios-repair boot disk" or something similar? IS there such a thing? I'm frustrated.

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  5:17:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats what I thought my earlier comment was about.

The instructions used a USB external storage device. But that is just an example device of many types of external storage.

quote:

Recovering the BIOS using an external storage device

If the HP_TOOLS volume on your HDD has been deleted, a USB key with an HP_TOOLS volume can be used as an alternative. The key can be created manually or by using the HP UEFI BIOS Update SoftPAQ or the new HP UEFI Support Environment SoftPAQ and selecting the Create a USB key option. The USB key does not have to be bootable. However, this assumes the boot block is not corrupted in which case a repair is required.

To recover the BIOS on your notebook using the USB key:

1.Plug the notebook into an AC adapter.
2.Insert the USB key with HP_Tools installed into an available USB port.
3.Press the Power button while holding the Windows key and the B key.
4.The emergency recovery feature replaces the BIOS with the version on the USB key. The computer reboots automatically when the process is completed successfully.

You are now able to enter into the BIOS screens or Windows operating system after recovering the BIOS.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2012 :  10:36:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't you hook up and external monitor?
Most newer PC's and Laptops have secondary BIOS installed you can revert to or at least a Restore Default options.

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2012 :  6:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My boards manual says the secondary bios does its thing automatically and has no user interface.

Go to Top of Page

Horseman
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2012 :  05:17:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried the secondary monitor. The screen stays black. can't get into the back to see if there's a jumper. Computer, consigned to scrap heap. No way to salvage. :( Ah, well. Such is life in the world of me.

COLD this morning.. OMG...It's GLOBAL COOLING..

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000