Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 5:02:08 AM on 11/21/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Computer Specific Topics
 XP security issue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2012 :  1:55:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you guys think [system] not being the owner of my boot partition could cause safe mode (only) problems?

stand alone box

My problem is that windows in normal mode passes every test I throw at it with no issues. Same for all the recovery console and other drive related tools.

But all safe modes stopped working probably a year ago easy and get the same error about reading the boot drive. (Stop error 0x0000007b)

Thanks
Dan

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  5:05:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the security Analise's tool corrected that issue with the volumes owner for me. 8)

But the issue with windows safe mode (all) causing a STOP error when at the same time windows in normal mode works correctly and can not even find any problems has me stumped. oh well... :(

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2012 :  12:19:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whew! I finally found out why only safe mode is getting the BSOD on my PC and the cause.(below)

That was a tricky one because the problem is invisible and never
even happened to windows outside of safe mode. Plus trying to narrow
down search result for troubleshooting safe mode only issues was
next to imposable. 8/

quote:

SYMPTOMS

When you start your Microsoft Windows XP-based computer after you replace the motherboard on the computer, you may receive a Stop error message that is similar to the following:

STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE

CAUSE

This issue may occur if the new motherboard contains an embedded IDE controller that has a different chipset than the original motherboard.

ref: Microsoft KB316401

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2012 :  06:33:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's strange, a different IDE chipset than original, that may be from safe mode loading a generic driver I guess but hey you found it, any clue on how to fix it other than a PCI IDE controller?

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2012 :  3:58:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Safe modes still loading the original Azus/OEM MB drivers (the board I shorted out) and normal modes loading the correct replacement board (Gigabyte na78lm-s2) drivers.

That happened because I could not do a in-place upgrade to my OEM OS (winXP pro MCE sp3) without the correct MB no doubt. 8/

question...
Do you know if a non-MCE Windows CD can be used to repair the MCE version without breaking the windows media center?

Edited by - WheelSmoke on 12/24/2012 4:00:09 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000