Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 5:02:23 AM on 11/21/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Computer Specific Topics
 Installing XP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Woody
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2012 :  8:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am giving my sister my old PC for Christmas but I wanted to do a clean install. Installing XP and the motherboard drivers from CD was not a problem outside of them time it took (I played solitaire on my new smart phone while waiting) but the real fun began when I fired up IE6 and went to windows update. I kept getting errors when it tried to update windows update. I figured maybe it doesn't like IE6 since it is a tad bit on the old side so I went to update to IE8 and of course I got the same errors there since it used "windows update" to do its thing.

I searched Microsoft and about the fourth thing I tried worked, seems there is a separate download of "windows update" just for people having my problem.

So I get to windows update and it starts looking for stuff I need, I expected the big one would be service pack 3 since the cd I installed from included service pack 2 but I was a bit surprised that the critical update section had over 100 items besides service pack 3. Oh well a few more games of solitaire and I'll be done.

What I failed to take into account is the cascading nature of windows update on an operating system that is over ten years old. Each batch of updates led to other updates and etc, etc. After each batch there were a bunch of new ones, in the range of about 1/4 to 1/2 as many as before.

After about a half dozen cycles I was down to one critical update left so I thought I was nearly done but good old Microsoft couldn't let me off that easy, that "last" one led to 9 more. I did get lucky, those 9 were the last ones.

I also had a little trouble installing the video card drivers, but that was a piece of cake compared to windows update.

My two hour pre lunch job lasted till after three this afternoon, but I did get extra time to play with my new phone.

Reality is for those that cant handle video games.

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  4:34:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I do is install Windows plus the service packs before going online. That way my OS will only need updates dated after SP3 and the online update service does not fail.

:)

Go to Top of Page

Mebla
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  07:47:27 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Mebla's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh Jeeze those "cascading updates" thats always a pain. I have heared of people making a partition in a drive just for updates so when you do a fresh install you just copy them all over. obviously it't not THAT simple but its something to look into if you do fresh installs alot.
Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  1:34:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh man those people would really be making a mountian out of a mole hill.

MS link: information about SP3. (WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe)

Go to Top of Page

Woody
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  8:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is just typical Microsoft logic. You need SP3 to get the updated online windows updater but you can't download SP3 without the updated online windows updater.

I guess thats one way to get people to upgrade to windows 7 or 8.

Reality is for those that cant handle video games.
Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2012 :  5:37:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The service packs are available at the microsoft download center.
quote:

Download the service pack manually

You can download the stand-alone Windows XP SP3 package from the following Microsoft Download Center page. Although this page says that the installation package is intended for IT professionals and developers, you can safely download and install this package.

link: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

I just stuck a CD with the "WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe" file on it with the windows CD. But if you want to do something fancy the command line switches can be found here.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457071.aspx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000