Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 7:56:46 AM on 11/23/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Computer Specific Topics
 My new PC
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  2:32:45 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello.

Been a very long time since I've visited.

I've built myself a new PC for around $300. Reusing parts like the tower and monitor from an older PC.

I have an AMD A10-5800K apu (accelerated processing unit, replaces the cpu). 3.8ghz quad core, overclocks to 4.2ghz. the apu has a built in igpu at 800mhz. similar to AMD Radeon HD 7900's.

8gb of Corsair 1600mhz ram

320gb 7200rpm WD sata hard drive.
60gb 5400rpm WD sata laptop drive with Ubuntu installed and will be used for backups.

a FM2-A75MA-E35 motherboard
1 PCIe x16
2 PCIe x1
1 PCI
6 USB 2.0
2 USB 3.0
HDMI, VGA, and DVI.
supports dual graphics with AMD video cards.

430 watt power supply

I haven't finished buying all the parts. this is just what i could afford at the moment. still its faster than my current laptop at half the cost.

I plan on buying a PCIe x1 wifi card.
an AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb video card from Gigabyte.
a SATA dvd drive
windows 7 home premium (or something of the like)

Right now I have Vista Business installed. Thanks to my friend for letting me use the OS.

I also plan to buy 2 120mm blue LED fans from Cooler Master.
as well as a USB 3.0 3.5in drive bay thingie that will replace the floppy drive.
I do have USBs on the front but they're 2.0s

so far I've bought about $300 of parts. with about $150 in parts to go.

I've never smelled new computer parts before. what a wonderful feeling.

"Death can arrive a simple friend for those who die. It is never simple for those who survive." - quote from the book Legacy by Greg Bear.

Woody
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  7:32:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I built my wife a new PC for Christmas around the AMD A10-5800K. Put it in a ASUS F2A85-V PRO motherboard with 8 gigs of ram. Installed Windows 7 home premium. Made a very nice and quick system for her.

Reality is for those that cant handle video games.
Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2013 :  4:30:48 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
yeah, that A10 apu is amazing.

I've installed Ubuntu on a small laptop hard drive and plugged it into my machine. had a 400mb update that took ages. probably didnt have the proper ethernet/lan drivers so it only maxed out around 150kbps even though i can get 15mbps. about 2 megabytes per sec.

anyway after the update it asked if i wanted to update the apu driver from the amd website. there were 2 drivers. first one didnt work but the second did.

after a restart i can't get to the desktop. it just shows the background image with the cursor in the center of the screen, unresponsive and an "AMD Unsupported Hardware" water mark image in the bottom right of the screen.

I really hate Ubuntu, i have nothing but trouble with it whenever i use it.

good news is im downloading Vista. a friend who helped me pick the parts for the computer is letting me have his 2nd copy of vista until i can get windows 7.

I will post some pictures and will make a proper My PC post once I get vista installed and get all the drivers and other software going. will hopefully be fully functional by monday.

"Death can arrive a simple friend for those who die. It is never simple for those who survive." - quote from the book Legacy by Greg Bear.
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  07:31:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks nice.
I sure don't like windows 8, it is on new box I bought for cheap.
It's like a friggn TV stuck on the advertising channel. I can't find my way around, it is several hoops and mouse moves and clicks to just to open My Computer.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page

Woody
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  7:36:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look into getting Classic shell http://www.classicshell.net/

Puts things back where they are supposed to be, I use it on Windows 7 but I have read many places that it works great on Windows 8 also.

Reality is for those that cant handle video games.
Go to Top of Page

brutus-tobias
Better Poster

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  7:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Send brutus-tobias a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey KC, I sent you an email via the forum's profile page.
Just incase you don't get it here's the error I got while trying to post my new PC on the My PC forum.
quote:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14'

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The INSERT INTO statement contains the following unknown field name: 'mbURL'. Make sure you have typed the name correctly, and try the operation again.

/elite/boxSave.asp, line 160

I was using the proper form too.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2013 :  11:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put that shell over win8 and the wife and I are much happier, I can actually use the thing now.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000