Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 8:02:37 AM on 11/23/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Computer Specific Topics
 scrapping the old c drive question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mebla
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2013 :  10:33:50 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Mebla's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hay guys I decided to use my state tax return to by a game and a new hdd because my C is an old 40gb and with all the games I play its just not enough.

So I my plan is to by a 1tb or better and transfer everything from my H hard drive over to it, then use the create system image thing build into windows to make my secondary my new c drive. then i'd just make the tb my new H drive and put my old 40gb away somewhere.

my question is if that would mess with the registry in a way that I would end up having to reinstall everything anyway.

Edited by - Mebla on 05/19/2013 10:38:26 AM

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2013 :  9:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KC recommended a utility named 'EaseUS Partition Manager' to me some time back thats really good. (&free &easy) It has a disk operation called "upgrade system disk' you can read about at the website. Thats what I would do.

Here is a link to the download page. (free version is home user)
EaseUS partition tool

:D thanks again KC...

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  11:21:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whats really cool is I just got a bunch of new high end PC hardware and want to use that very tool to move my C: to a new bigger faster drive to boot up on then do the all driver stuff.

If you are not changing hardware nothing to it, all the hardware drives are already installed.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2013 :  01:15:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the tool I mentioned requires version 9.1.0.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2013 :  08:00:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I downloaded the partition manager from the link, and then the backup software from within in and used them to make a bootable clone disc no problem.

Just beware the 'free tools' software it tries to install.

Go to Top of Page

Mebla
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  3:36:07 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Mebla's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
windows has a build program that creates a back up image of your system and you can use it to put it on a different drive using that back up image saved on 1 of the hdd's and the install disk. im wondering if I should just use that instead of using a 3rd party program. ive been procrastinating about it so far but when I get around to it ill have to check out that program Wheelsmoke mentioned. ive already gone ahead and let it make the image just haven't gotten to actually doing it yet. thanks for all the input so far though guys!
Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  2:13:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be sure to follow the instructions related to your OS and related to your HD the first time you start it.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  07:09:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MaxBlast is a good program if you buy a boxed maxtor HD, it doesn't get any easier.

Hook up the new drive as a slave.
Boot up your PC and install MaxBlast.
Run 'Clone Boot Drive' or whatever it's called.
Shut down, change CMOS to boot from new drive and you are done.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000