Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 12:30:15 AM on 10/24/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Funs with networks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2013 :  09:33:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a PCI Wireless-G 2.4GHz network card I wanted to test so I popped it in my PC which you can see by clicking MY PC under my name is open on my desk so easy to do.

I have a wireless router with secured connection but it also has 4 NEC hardwire connections which is what I use but I wanted to see if I could connect both ways and double the connection.

I know it is silly as my hardwire is way faster than my actual household provided bandwidth can reach so no bottleneck to fix but I wanted to see anyway and this was surprising, especially since I still run XP.

My router sits here on my desk so I can watch the traffic lights on it so here is what I did:

I closed everything using the network.
Unhooked the hard line.
Created a wireless connection to my router.
Fired up Pandora streaming music.
The wireless traffic showed activity as it played.

I then plugged the hardwire back in.
Pandora continued to use the wireless connection and the hardwire connection had no activity but the normal handshakeing.
I then opened Firefox and the hardwire network lit up for the browser but Pandora kept using the wireless.

Now Pandora's bandwidth use is nothing compared to netflix for example but it does run whenever I am in the shop (10 hours a day)so it does add to the overall load on my IP address.

Now for the fun part.
There are 2 unsecured wireless networks my dinky PC card antenna can see which in itself is pretty amazing considering how far my house is away from any other structures.

I can connect to them both but it is a very weak signal and not enough to connect any internet program with.

Now I don't need to be poaching bandwidth, I have tons, but it would be handy to be able to connect to the net with my PC in the event my cable were to go out so I wonder if an external antenna would be worthwhile?

Maybe just some coax to put the PCI card antenna outside?

I suppose some of you are smiling at the NETGEAR unsecured network like I am.
Since it doesn't look like they configured the router at all I'd bet the login is the default Admin, Password combo as well.

I couldn't care less what my neighbors have on their computer but it just have to shake my head at not securing your network as a nefarious person use your IP address to do some pretty nasty things.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2013 :  12:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You not going to do the right thing and at least tell your neighbors about it?

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2013 :  4:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WheelSmoke

You not going to do the right thing and at least tell your neighbors about it?
No.
I sure would if I knew who the unsecured network was but it's not the couple of neighbors I actually talk to and I'm not going door to door asking strangers if they have the open wireless WiFi network in the neighborhood, there is no problem now but alerting everyone around there is one it would become one ya know?

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2013 :  08:58:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a little monsoon last night and I lost power just long enough to have to reset most of my clocks.
But, I also have my CMOS set to power back on after a power loss so I can use my power station to turn the thing on and off.

Anyway when both networks connected the hard wire did all the work and the wireless did nothing.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000