Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 4:33:56 PM on 12/12/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Hardware Reviews
 Best Video for the Money PCIe 10/2006
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  07:35:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(Taken and edited from Tom's Hardware Guide.
The Best Gaming Video Cards for the Money: October 2006
-Don Woligroski September 26, 2006 08:12

Keep a few simple guidelines in mind when reading this list:

This list is for gamers who want to get the most for their money. If you don't play games but surf the Internet and edit video, the cards in this list are probably too expensive. On the other hand, if you're a professional full-time 3D designer, you should look at Quadros and FireGLs, not gaming cards:

Prices change and deals come and go on a daily basis. We can't offer up-to-the-minute pricing information, but what we can do is list some solid cards that you probably won't regret buying - if you can find them at the price ranges we suggest;

The list is based on some of the best U.S. prices from online retailers. In other countries, or in retail stores, your mileage is most certainly going to vary;

These are new card prices. No used or open box cards are in the list; they might be a good deal but it's out of the scope of what we're trying to do.

PCI-Express Interface
Best PCIe Card For Under $100

Radeon X800 GTO 128MB

Codename: R420, 13 micron technology
12 Pixel Shaders, Six Vertex Shaders, 12 Texture Units, 12 Raster Operations Processors
256 bit memory bus
400 MHz core, 350 MHz DDR (700 MHz Effective) Memory

A card with 256 bit memory in the lowest price category? Bizarre. This card has been comfortably in the $100 - $150 price category, but now that it retails for less than $100, it hands other cards in this league their butts - the vanilla 6600, X700, and X1300 PRO simply can't compete with an X800 GTO. These cheap X800 GTOs usually come with slower memory and clock speeds than their 256MB counterparts, but they are still amazing for the price.

Some people will complain about their lack of SM 3.0 capability, but in this category it really doesn't matter, the GTO has the power to pull good performance regardless.

Geforce 7300 GT GDDR3
Codename: G73, 90 nm technology
Eight Pixel shaders, Four Vertex shaders, Eight Texture units, Eight Raster operations processors
128 bit memory bus
500 MHz core, 700 MHz GDDR3 (1000 MHz Effective) Memory

Not to be confused with the slower DDR2 Version of the 7300 GT, the GDDR3 equipped 7300 GTs are pretty darn quick; they at least keep up with the 7600 GS. It holds up well against the X800 GTO, and is another great sub-$100 choice that can make a cheap gaming rig a reality.

Best PCIe Card For ~$140

Geforce 7600 GT

Codename: G73, 90 nm technology
12 Pixel shaders, Five Vertex shaders, 12 Texture units, Eight Raster operations processors
128 bit memory bus
560 MHz core, 700 MHz DDR (1400 MHz Effective) Memory

The 7600 GT is an amazing card in this price range, sporting new SM 3.0 technology and very high clock speeds to deliver excellent performance. Its weakest feature is its 128 bit memory bus, but its high memory speeds offset that disadvantage and make it competitive with 256 bit cards like the X850 XT.

Best PCIe Card For ~$200

Radeon X1900 GT

Codename: R580, 90 nm technology
36 Pixel shaders, Eight Vertex shaders, 12 Texture units, 12 Raster operations processors
256 bit external memory bus (512 bit internal ring bus)
Version 1: 575 MHz core, 600 MHz DDR (1200 MHz effective) Memory
Version 2: 512 MHz core, 660 MHz DDR (1320 MHz effective) Memory

The X1900 GT is based on the X1900 XT core, except it is crippled with some pixel shaders disabled and has a lower clockspeed. There are now two versions: the original 575 MHz core/600 MHz memory version, and the new 512 MHz core/6600 MHz memory version. Both perform similarly.

The card's main competition is the 7900 GS, which it soundly beats in almost every benchmark. The worst thing I can say about the X1900 GT is that its X1900 XT 256MB cousin performs much better for not much more money.

Best PCIe Card For ~$250

Radeon X1900 XT 256MB

48 Pixel shaders, Eight Vertex shaders, 16 Texture units, 16 Raster operations processors
625 MHz core, 725MHz DDR (1450 MHz effective) Memory

The 256MB X1900 XT is a re-released X1900 XT with less memory and a new price that really entrenches it as the best sub-$300 card you can buy today. It is in the same league as much more expensive cards like the X1950 XTX or 7900 GTX.

Priced as low as $240 at the time this article was written, there is nothing that can really touch it, including the new Geforce 7950 GT.

Best PCIe Card For ~$340

Geforce 7900 GTX

Codename: G71, 90nm technology
24 Pixel Shaders, Eight Vertex Shaders, 24 Texture Units, 16 Raster Processors
256 bit memory bus
650Mhz core, 800 Mhz DDR (1600 Mhz Effective) Memory

The Geforce 7900 GTX is Nvidia's answer to the X1900 XTX. Both of these heavyweights have their strengths and show superiority in different games and benchmarks, but neither will disappoint. The 7900 GTX will have the advantage in texturing speed, and the X1900 XTX will have the advantage in shader speed.

Radeon X1900 XTX
48 Pixel shaders, Eight Vertex shaders, 16 Texture units, 16 Raster operations processors
650 MHz core, 775 MHz DDR (1550 MHz effective) Memory

One of the fastest gaming cards on the planet today, the Radeon X1900 XTX boasts slightly higher clock speeds than its XT brother. The Radeon differentiates itself from its 7900 GTX competitor slightly with the ability to use OpenEXR High-Dynamic-Range lighting (HDR) and antialiasing at the same time.

The worst thing we can say about the 7900 GTX and X1900 XTX it is that they're probably not worth the $100 premium over the excellent X1900 XT 256MB card.

Best PCIe Card For ~$500

Geforce 7950 GX2

Codename: G71, 90 nm technology
2x24 Pixel shaders, 2x8 Vertex shaders, 2x24 Texture units, 2x16 Raster operations processors
256 bit memory bus
500 MHz core, 600 MHz DDR (1200 MHz Effective) Memory

If you have money to burn, the money-is-no-object price segment will offer diminishing returns for the high price tag. But if you have the money and need to play at the highest resolutions available with high levels of AA, then SLI/Crossfire setups are the way to go.

Probably the most reasonably priced and easy to use multi-GPU solution is the Geforce 7950 Gx2, which is actually a single card with two 7900 GPUs built in; it performs faster than any other single card available at ultra-high resolutions.

Keep in mind though that if you play at 1280x1024 resolution with 4xAA, you would be wasting money on the GX2, as cheaper single cards like the X1900 XTX and 7900 GTX can outperform the card at those settings. But if you play at 1600x1200 with 6xAA, the 7950 GX2 can't be beat by any single card out there.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things

Spinner
Better Poster
MY PC

101 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  07:13:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think you might need an update on that specific subject you forgot Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS and GTX

We used to call it enjoyment, now im not so sure
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  07:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, that is from last October.
There is another vid card rating here from December.

Go to Top of Page

Spinner
Better Poster
MY PC

101 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  07:36:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh didnt notice :P

We used to call it enjoyment, now im not so sure
Go to Top of Page

motoman_dd
Better Poster
MY PC

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  2:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Send motoman_dd an AOL message  Click to see motoman_dd's MSN Messenger address  Send motoman_dd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
wow should try that out

4ever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

521Stroker
Better Poster

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  1:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to bring up an old topic but i had an x1900gt 256mb, that card hauled @** It lasted almost 2 years aswell, it still works but not willingly LaWL not to mention it was a brick
Go to Top of Page

OSDCrusher
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
399 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  5:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Send OSDCrusher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This topic is so old lol.

[url=http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=681394][/url]

Edited by - OSDCrusher on 08/19/2009 5:24:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  5:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OSDCrusher

This topic is so old lol.

..And yet, still viable and informative, or at least entertaining.

I wonder what are the best deals today...Anyone?

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  10:19:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigDOGGe

I wonder what are the best deals today...Anyone?

Well, this topic is 3 years old, most of those high end cards are selling for $50 or less with a Gig on them.

I find just listing the few hundred video cards Fry's has in price order helpful.

Cheapest First.

Just click the PRICE category link to reverse it ;-}

I'll say it again, I think the video card industry is a rigged game.

Go to Top of Page

boom50cal
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
248 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2009 :  3:56:57 PM  Show Profile  Click to see boom50cal's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
9400GT FTW!!! It's really a great card. Runs a little warm though.. 46-51oC on idle. But it only goes to 53oC on full load(Crysis demo on medium high). Its great for the people who want a cheap, DX10 card that can play latest games with good frame rates and have a lower power supply to work with. I've been loving it since the Thursday I got it

If it's broke FIX it. If it's not broke, OVERCLOCK it. If OVERCLOCKING breaks it, get ready to buy a new one
Go to Top of Page

Stalkerrob
MY PC

Canada
555 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2009 :  7:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats not hot lol

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  4:43:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
It lasted almost 2 years aswell,

Only two years! Wow, was it murdered or defective?

hehe

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  01:30:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow 4.64 TFLOPs sure is a big number.

HotHardware review: ATI Radeon HD 5970 Dual-GPU Powerhouse

Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  02:28:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like to wait until a card has been out for awhile. I got my 8400GS/512 mb PCIe card at Frys for only $60 last year. When new, it was probably double that.

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  09:56:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear ya there.
But high end cards like a HD 5970 are for people with either a monster size display(s) or that like throwing money away for nothing anyway.

For me the 5850 would be a much better choice of the three. Regardless of price.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  11:32:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't read the review, but I wonder if they tested with an Intel or AMD processor.
AMD has been trying (maybe succeeding?) in incorporating CPU/GPU cooperation since they bought ATI.

I hope so, and have been looking forward to it since the ATI buyout.

If Intel hadn't stifled them in the market place, AMD may have already brought new CPU/GPU standards that let the two work together with the GPU's being just like another CPU processor in their Multi-processor CPU's.

New slot? I'd hope so.
To make their video card be a true separate co-processor it is going to need a bigger, faster bus than PCIe.

Now all AMD needs to do is buy a motherboard manufacturer ;-}

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  5:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They used intel.

Go to Top of Page

AJ2VM
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  7:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Send AJ2VM an AOL message  Send AJ2VM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KC

I didn't read the review, but I wonder if they tested with an Intel or AMD processor.
AMD has been trying (maybe succeeding?) in incorporating CPU/GPU cooperation since they bought ATI.

I hope so, and have been looking forward to it since the ATI buyout.

If Intel hadn't stifled them in the market place, AMD may have already brought new CPU/GPU standards that let the two work together with the GPU's being just like another CPU processor in their Multi-processor CPU's.

New slot? I'd hope so.
To make their video card be a true separate co-processor it is going to need a bigger, faster bus than PCIe.

Now all AMD needs to do is buy a motherboard manufacturer ;-}

Sounds like the two processor companies are just trying to dominate the market. Pretty soon AMD processors and Intel processors will need completely different equipment to run, forcing you to choose between one or the other. I don't see why they can't just stick with processors.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  07:58:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJ2VM

Pretty soon AMD processors and Intel processors will need completely different equipment to run, forcing you to choose between one or the other.
You already have to choose one or the other, always have.
Picking the CPU socket on the motherboard locks you in to one or the other right off the bat.

Of course there will always be common platform connections like a PCI slot, SATA, IDE, USB, Keyboard and so on, but so what if AMD based motherboards add an additional new slot or ribbon cable for connetion to an enhanced AMD (ATI) Video card?

I'm not saying AMD will, or that they are even thinking about it, but it would make sense and I would welcome it ;-}

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  11:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
AMD may have already brought new CPU/GPU standards that let the two work together
I think AMD's version of that is called "Stream Technoligy" and Stream enabled applications are using it.

Link: stream-technology.aspx

But I don't have a display card with the feature (or need more CPU performance) so IDK...

-- edit
Looks like there is a lot of comercial hardware out there. (GPU servers, clusters...) Fire stream for ATI and Tesla for Nvidia.

Link: AMAX GPU Workstations

Edited by - WheelSmoke on 11/20/2009 12:26:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  10:32:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, there is a lot of tech out, ATI adopted AMD's Streaming Transport tech and why I generally advise a geForce card for Intel and ATI for AMD.
I just think it will get a little more specialized in the near future as video cards have become almost add-on co-CPU and memory.

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  9:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything at the AMAX link to the ServMax personal computer is beond me. But the series named "High Performance Parallel Computing Solutions" seemed like thats what there doing?

That box with "Parallel processing architecture with up to 3200 stream cores per system" is even AMD GPU and Intel CPU.

Ideal for the most demanding compute-intensive, data-parallel tasks, including:
Climate research
Computational chemistry and biology
Engineering analysis
Financial analysis
Genetic research
Oil and gas exploration
Graphics rendering
Security
Seismic processing
Video trans-coding and more!

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  07:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
High end Graphic Workstations are not my forte, so I don't stay on top of their tech.
But, we are starting to see some of the tech from GW's come to the PC.

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  2:43:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, at least the is ready and waiting.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic