Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 2:58:12 AM on 12/12/2018?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Hardware Reviews
 USB thumbdrive program review
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

admiralfreak
Been Around a Bit

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  3:04:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
U3 vs. PortableApps.com

This is my review of both USB drive programs for running portable applications. This review is my own opinion so if you don't agree, well, that's your problem and I can't help you out.

Installation

U3 installation is very simple and when you first plug in your jump drive it will automatically start an installation wizard. This can be a pain especially if you are using an older computer (like the one I'm on) that only has USB 1.1. They recommend USB 2.0 but you can get away using 1.1 if you are patient and ready to wait a while for applications to load. PortableApps installation is very simple that probably a new user could figure out. You just download it and then extract it to your jumpdrive, then install it. This process took me a while longer than it should have since I am using an older computer. The install time was not long at all considering the USB speed.

Ease of Use
U3 is very simple to use but their website is down so you are only able to get a handful of applications. The ones that you can get are pretty good. The load time is okay but you are almost better off just waiting until you get home to do some of the stuff. With PortableApps you can run quite a few programs. The load times of these programs are impressive. I was very impressed how well the U3 and PortableApps programs worked after loading. You would have thought that the programs were installed right on the computer.

The verdict
Overall both applications have their ups and downs. U3 is very slow loading and has a smaller database of applications to use. PortableApps is a much quicker program and loads the applications much faster and are very easy to install.

http://portableapps.com/

Click here

Edited by - admiralfreak on 12/10/2006 3:05:32 PM

Tenderpaws
Good Poster

96 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  3:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i cant stand v3 its annoying and what ever i do when i disable it, it comes back
Go to Top of Page

RobertDecosta
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2013 :  10:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have not tried portableapps yet. but seeing your review i will definitely give it a try!! hope its better as said..

Get your Printers Refilled - All Brands Available Save Upto 90 % on Inks
http://www.pc-uk.net/ink-refill-kits
Go to Top of Page

RobertDecosta
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  05:23:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Portableapss are definitely better than U3.

Prepaid Funeral Plans
http://www.funeraldirectorsukdirectory.co.uk/prepaid-funeral-plans-form.php

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000