Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 8:27:03 PM on 12/12/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 MY PC
 KC`s AMD Screaming Gamer I
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  11:11:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Machine Name:KC`s Main PC    ID:2 
Make or Model: My main custom caseless machine
Last Edit: 4/11/2009
Motherboard: MSI K9N_Platinum (MS-7250)
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ @ 3 GHz (no overclock)
CPU Socket: Socket AM2
Primary Video: GeForce 7950 GT - 512MB DDR3    PCI Express? Yes
Memory: 2GB (2 x 1024 MB Dual Channel DDR2-800MHz )
Boot Drive: 74 GB 10,000 RPM SATA Raptor

PC Wizard Mark:5516    3DMark:5268

Printer Friendly Full Parts Listing

Other Components and Comments:
*** Updated 11-06-2007***

CPU:
• Supports 64-bit AMD® Athlon™ 64 / Athlon 64FX / Athlon 64 X2 processor (Socket AM2) • Supports Athlon 64 CPU: 3500+, 3800+ • Supports Athlon 64FX CPU: FX-62 • Supports Athlon 64 X2 CPU: 3800+, 4000+, 4200, 4400+, 4600+, 4800+, 5000+, 5200+
Chipset:
• NVIDIA ® nForce 570 SLI Chipset - HyperTransport link to the AMD Athlon 64/Athlon 64FX/Athlon 64 X2 CPU - Supports 2 PCI Express x16 interface (2nd X16 slot runs at X8 speed) / 2 PCI Express x 1 connection - Independent SATAII controllers, for six drives - Single Fast ATA-133 IDE controller
Main Memory:
• Supports dual channel DDR2 533/667/800, using four 240-pin DDR2 DIMMs. • Supports the memory size up to 8GB • Supports 1.8v DDR2 SDRAM DIMM
Slots:
• Two PCI Express X16 slot (supports PCI Express Bus specification v1.0a compliant) • 2nd PCI Express X16 is compatible with PCI Express x 8 • Two PCI Express X1 slot • Three 32-bit Master PCI Bus slots, one orange slot reserves as communication slot. • Support 3.3V/5V PCI bus Interface
Audio:
• Chip integrated by Realtek ALC883 - 7.1 CH High Definition - Flexible 8-channel audio with jack sensing - Compliant with Azalia 1.0 spec
On-Board Peripherals:
- 1 floppy port supports 1 FDD with 360K, 720K, 1.2M, 1.44M and 2.88Mbytes - 1 serial port - 1 parallel port supports SPP/EPP/ECP mode - 1 audio jack (5-in-1), coaxial/fibre SPDIF out - 10 USB 2.0 ports (Rear x 4 / Front x 6) - 2 RJ45 Dual 10/100/1000 LAN jacks - 1 D-Bracket 2 pinheader - 2 IEEE 1394 a connectors (Rear x 1/ Front x 1) - 1 CD-in pinheader - 1 IrDA pinheader

Note that I am using PCWiz 2008 now for benchmark.

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  12:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet, the first new format (PC Wizard assisted) MY PC forum listing.
Both formats will work here for now, but I phasing out the old format.

This format has more info at the top, a better "White Paper" list, and much easier spec entry sreen, especially if you use the PC Wizard hardware.txt file upload to fill out much of the form for you.

Enjoy ;-}

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things ©¿©¬
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  8:07:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yippie...
I finally upgraded my data drive.
All my HD's are SATA now.
The ultra fast 74GB sata boot drive, and the new 160GB Maxtor sata 2/300 data drive.

I burn a lot of CD's and DVD's, granted the burner speed is always the biggest bottleneck, but it can't hurt having all the files I burn on a sata 2 drive and 2GB of ultra fast RAM.
The burner ought to run flat out full speed for every burn ;-}

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2007 :  5:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking into a %100 sata system, hence replacing my nice Emprex IDE DVD R/W drive.
The big question is, will a sata DVD burner be any faster than my fast IDE?
I hope to answer that question for the new years product review with a test of 3 burners head to head.
I have a new sony and my emprex ide drives, and requested the only decent sata dvd burner I could find, a Plextor PX-716SA DVD±R/RW.

If they come through with one for me I'll let you know in a review if going "all sata" really can make a difference when it comes down to CD/DVD burning.

Go to Top of Page

drag_racer
Better Poster

245 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2007 :  9:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wouldn't it come down to the burn speed limit of the disc and not the speed of the drive? I can't see it making a difference in speed once the drive can burn faster than the disc is rated for, but I guess we'll know soon enough :)

**Note: any prices I post are in Canadian Funds unless otherwise specified**

Edited by - drag_racer on 01/01/2007 9:03:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  07:16:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You wouldn't think there would be a difference in burn speed, read speed maybe on a big file copy.
I do want to make sure sata dvd is not slower than ide.
I have 6 SATA-2 ports (6 drives) but only a single IDE port (2 drives).
There are old IDE HD's all over the place here, most are just small (40GB or less) but they make great backup drives.
With my IDE connection empty for normal use I can plug ide drives in and out at will ;-}

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  1:30:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm... strange hard wired home network problem that makes no sence.
All the machines can see each other in Network Neighborhood.
I can access every other machine, but when any other machine tries to access my sharded folders, drives, or even the printer (which is when I found the problem) they get a logon screen for name and password and no matter what can't get in.

I have no login anything. My PC boots directly up to windows in a heartbeat.
I double checked firewall and permissions but even testing with everything off the problem persists.

The only thing I did different on this new re-load of XP Pro with SP2 was not make a User Name (hence why it boots directly to XP and don't ask me to click a user name).

I don't have the .net protocall installed or any other limiting thing like that.
Any idea what to check besides the obvious ones I already have?
near as I can tell, everything on my system says "let them in".
And even making a "Guest" system login to use won't work.

Go to Top of Page

drag_racer
Better Poster

245 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  2:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember having to create an account with the same name on both of the computers after getting xp, but I can't remember if it was between an xp and 98 computer, or xp and xp. So are they all different OS or are they all XP? If yours is the only XP one, then try creating an account on one of the other ones that matches the one on this pc, and try connecting it that way. It's worth a try.

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Better Poster
MY PC

Canada
337 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  3:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol when I was quickly skimming the topics I thought that said "screaming geezer"

Go See Bucko
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  6:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All 3 machines are using XP pro.
All 3 worked dandy together with no effort before I reloaded my XP on the new HD.
Whatever it is it is not some mindless easy check, I went through everything.

I can see and access all machines.
Thet can all use the shared net Intenet.
They can all see me.
None of them can can access anything on my machine, not even the printer, without some Name/Password box I can't explain or get access using.

Very VERY strange.

Go to Top of Page

drag_racer
Better Poster

245 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  7:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KC
None of them can can access anything on my machine, not even the printer, without some Name/Password box I can't explain or get access using.

So basically you have to login to that computer? This sounds similar to the problem I had, so try creating an account on one of them with the exact same name and password. My other guess would be to enable guest accounts if it already isn't. If it doesn't work, it'd be easy to undo that stuff.

There's more details, but that's all I can remember right now from the similar problem I had with my computer when I upgraded to xp.

Edited by - drag_racer on 01/23/2007 7:44:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  10:08:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(I fixed that network problem)

Sound
I upgraded my sound today.
The motherboard has surround sound with analog, opticical digital, and coaxial digital audio jacks.

I have been running regular 'ole analog "speaker out" audio to my JVC amp's AUX input and using it to power the 2 three-way 12" woofer floor speakers.

It sounded great, easy controls, equilizer on front, and it fit "just right" on my desk.

Then the new home entertainment amp came along.
The 3 year old Kenwood's remote control receiver inside the unit quit working, and it was having heat issues so I replaced it.

It still works though, so I replaced the old JVC with it.

I figured what the heck, the Kenwood has the same 3 audio inputs as the motherboard does outputs so I hooked it up coaxial digital.
I'd have done optical digital but I didn't have a cable.

Now everything I hear from the PC like playing a CD, DVD, or game, my streaming HD Radio, and even the system sounds are 100% digital from their source to inside the amp for DAC conversion and amplification.

Since my amp doesn't have an equlizer on the front I finally got around to checking out the Realtek HD Audio Manager software that came with the motherboard.

It's pretty cool!

I can change the sampling rate, select my setup, etc.

I don't have to mess with any settings on the amp at all, though I do like the easy to reash big volume knob amd power swtich.

I have tons of ways to change the way it sounds, special effects, presets and sub presets.

I tried Flatout 2 with the "stone corridor" sound effect on, hahaha, race car engines in a tunnel is really wild.

The very first thing I noticed when I tried it was how different the Internet HD Radio I stream all day sounds.
I can hear every subtle sound that HD stream can do now and I tell ya, I would compare it the difference between a good tube TV and an HD TV.

It's not like the old one was bad, just not as good when you can compare.

Go to Top of Page

CoreyHM1
Better Poster
MY PC

294 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  10:18:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats about exactly how i have my pc hooked up through my Sony receiver, i love it....

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  09:36:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...so I came in this morning and powered on the monitors and amp as usual, then clicked the Play button on my Streaming Internet Audio window and I was actually stunned.

Granted I left the volume a little high when I paused the stream player yesterday, but man, the clarity of sound hit me like a brick wall.
I guess I better check the settings before I call it a day, because getting up by 5AM every day is shock enough that early ;-}

Go to Top of Page

CoreyHM1
Better Poster
MY PC

294 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  8:19:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kc, how does that 4600+ work out for ya? im debating if its worth almost $100 more for the 5200+ (and its L2 cache is 2x1MB)

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  08:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, as you can see by my speed ranking on the MY PC list I'm a happy camper.
System performence is simply not a factor with anything I do on it.

The trick is to balance all the parts.
Putting another $100 to CPU at the expense of fast memory or a really good video card would actually hurt your performence.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  09:14:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dissapointing Development:
My system started randomly reseting itself the other day.
After the last time, all USB functions on all ports ceased.
Windows don't even see any USB ports exist anymore and it is not a CMOS or driver issue.

My conclusion is the MSI K9N SLI Platinum motherboard is the culprit.
The random resets may have been a result of the now lost motherboard USB circuits burning out.

This presents a perplexing problem.
The motherboard is only 5 months old so MSI should warranty it, but I'll have to ship it to them.

If I ship I'll have to buy another MB for my use as I can't be down for weeks, but I'll get a new MB replacement.

Or, I could just buy a $15 PCI USB card.

All other on-board functions remain working like network and audio, and the random resets have ceased as no doubt all the USB circuits that burned up and caused the resets are done causing problems.

I have a warranty window.
I think I'll just put in a PCI USB card and see if any more problems come up.
I'm out $15 either way, if I can avoid a motherboard change I can live with a PCI card.

Go to Top of Page

Tenderpaws
Good Poster

96 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  3:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man what is with MSI stuff. It seems to be nothing but garbage. I had to RMA a video card and they sent me a 6600 instead of the 6200 i rmad.

If i remember right KC, it took them about 3 weeks for the video card to show up on my doorstep.
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  4:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't had an MSI motherboard problem in 20 years that I can recall, thats part of the reason I bought this one.
But, even after torture testing my box all day so far it has yet to reset.
Thats a good thing.

Then again, I don't need an SLI (dual PCIe slot) motherboard so I think I'll take a peek at what the newest single PCIe MB's have to offer now.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  09:54:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked up a 4+1 USB 2.0 480Mbps PCI card and all is right with the world again.

$15 and it dosen't hinder anything, it's only as long as the slot and barley over an inch tall other than the external bracket height.
Actually it makes using USB ports easier as they are now right out front facing me.

I am dissapointed with the MSI boards failuar, but the cheap fix is better anyway.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  09:11:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a customer that wanted a system upgrade so i bought him a new motherboard, memory, PS, and gave him my fairly new AMD X2 4800+ processor...

And then bought myself this ;-}

Ohhh BABY!
Like the included heat pipe heatsink/fan?

Go to Top of Page

landlubber
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
303 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  09:17:53 AM  Show Profile  Send landlubber an AOL message  Click to see landlubber's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
how much did you pay for that KC? its on newegg for $170
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  11:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$180 at Fry's.
I have a resale licencee so no tax and obviously no shipping.
The 4800 I was going to buy him was $138 so what the heck, the customer don't care, it's a business customer I take care of so I dropped the extra $42 on an upgrade for me ;-}

Go to Top of Page

landlubber
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
303 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  3:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Send landlubber an AOL message  Click to see landlubber's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
haha, thats the way to do it. nice deal.
Go to Top of Page

CoreyHM1
Better Poster
MY PC

294 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  4:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice, that heatsink is a lot better than the one that come with my 5600. I had to buy a new one since my temps were getting warmer than i like, but that one with heat pipes is nice

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  08:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does the job, and not too imposing.

(click pic for big version)

But, I snapped off one of the plastic heatsink/fan anchors on the CPU socket putting it on so I can't secure it down.
No biggie in my case, but that little blunder would have cost me a new motherboard if it was someone else's PC.

I still have the little piece of plastic, next time I pull the MB out I'll see if I can epoxy it back on or at least try to rig some other fan securing method.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000