Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 4:40:00 PM on 12/12/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 MY PC
 aj2vm`s NEW Computer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

AJ2VM
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  08:44:02 AM  Show Profile  Send AJ2VM an AOL message  Send AJ2VM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Machine Name:NEW Computer    ID:97 
Make or Model: Pavillion a1410y
Last Edit: 3/29/2009
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
Motherboard: ECS Alhena
Processor: Intel Celeron D 940
CPU Socket: LGA 775
Primary Video: 3D FUZION NVidia GeForce 7300 GS 512MB (Hyperthreading gives me the extra 256MB)    PCI Express? Yes
Memory: 1 GB (1x 512 DDR2-SDRAM, 1x 1GB DDR2-SDRAM )
Boot Drive: HITACHI Deskstar 7K80 (Hard Disk) : 72 GB

PC Wizard Mark:3103    3DMark:473

Printer Friendly Full Parts Listing
Other Components and Comments:
I know, I know the 3DMark score is pathetic, kinda embarrassing, lol. Wow, amazing what a disk defrag can do.

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  08:48:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3000+ pathetic?
Anything approaching let alone over 3000 is a pretty fast box.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page

drag_racer
Better Poster

245 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  2:26:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is what I found with mine, is that if you have some programs running in the background that you need running, and don't use EndItAll (for me those would be the drivers for the LCD on my keyboard, avg, etc.), if I run a program that uses a ton of sys. resources, close it, and then run the benchmark then I'll actually get a higher one than off a fresh boot.

**Note: any prices I post are in Canadian Funds unless otherwise specified**
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  10:55:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well sure.
Anything using the processor, memory and hard drive is going to hamper results.

Benchmarks start a process for a given test and measure how long in like miliseconds the time it takes to complete.
If your processor is also doing other things the test is not getting 100% of the processors time.

Go to Top of Page

AJ2VM
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  7:25:56 PM  Show Profile  Send AJ2VM an AOL message  Send AJ2VM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No, I'm talking about my 3D Mark score, not my PCwiz score... YESSSSSSS I convinced my dad to get me a new graphics card, much easier to convince than my mom It's not bad, I tested with the games I have (not really a great tester, civ 3, rollercoaster tycoon 3 ) But the cool thing is, i've never seen it, is that if you have 1GB of memory on your computer it'll suck 256MB extra, making it a 512MB mem card, at your discresion of course. Not bad for $85 at best buy.

Edited by - AJ2VM on 01/17/2007 7:32:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

drag_racer
Better Poster

245 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  8:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KC

Well sure.
Anything using the processor, memory and hard drive is going to hamper results.

Benchmarks start a process for a given test and measure how long in like miliseconds the time it takes to complete.
If your processor is also doing other things the test is not getting 100% of the processors time.

Yea, but I think it does something to the stuff running in the background (priority?). Because if I run a high sys. perf. demanding program, close it, then my comp. will have less cpu and mem. usage than before running the program. ie: with mine, after a boot i am at 40%-50% of 512mb being used (0% cpu), run a few programs at once that use up a lot of sys. performance, close them and it'll be down to 20%-30% mem. usage.

**Note: any prices I post are in Canadian Funds unless otherwise specified**
Go to Top of Page

AJ2VM
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  4:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Send AJ2VM an AOL message  Send AJ2VM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm got a problem that is causing a bit of annoyance. Every single time i exit a full screen game, my primary monitor that I play on will freeze up, causing me to have to restart my computer to fix it. My suspisions are that it is the video card is the culprit, but why? I doubt it's over heating, especially while playin older games like EVO 2. I checked through every setting on the Nvidia control panel and googled my vid card, which I couldn't find much on in the first place, much less troubleshooting, any one got a suggestion?

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  11:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your vid card page is
http://www.3dfuzion.com/cards_7300GS_pcie_256.asp
I updated your "full parts listing" page so it's linked.

I don't see a Driver Update link there so you'll have to llok around.
I'd start there though.

Full screen games run at a different rez than your desktop rez can cause problems too.
Try running the game rez the same as your desktop.

Another factor could be your monitor trying to switch back.
Your machine may be working fine but your monitor is just spazing out.
One way to check if your PC is actually froze or just the monitor is to watch your HD light on your case.

try ALt-Ctrl-Del, if no activity the box is froze, if you see some the monitor is spazing.

Go to Top of Page

AJ2VM
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  6:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Send AJ2VM an AOL message  Send AJ2VM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
it may be the monitor because when it happends i get a garbage sectoin at the bottom then a VERY condensed version of my desktop, like all in 1/2 an inch, but my mouse goes over the screen like normal, and transforms around windows, like going to the resize mouse or the pointer hand. However my other monitor works fine, all windows already in the monitor work fine. I'll try to find a new driver for the card, but why wouldn't they put the new driver on the disk with the card, i just got it a week ago.

Hmmmm... you stole my computer! on the my PC page it says KC's NEW Computer, can you fix it?

Update: thanks, I found some new drivers on Nvidia's website, that actually would have been the last place to look...

Edited by - AJ2VM on 02/04/2007 4:17:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Spinner
Better Poster
MY PC

101 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  11:14:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ITs in the same performance class as mine Look: http://www.club-3d.com/productshow_vga.php?ordercode=CGNX-666Y .... Still thats a pretty good score you got there the only think thats a need in my life is the gf 8800GTX but then my pc would blow up like a bomb since there is almost no cpu that can keep up with that card =/

We used to call it enjoyment, now im not so sure
Go to Top of Page

Stampede
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  12:38:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a bad setup, does it suit your needs AJ?

Go to Top of Page

AJ2VM
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  7:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Send AJ2VM an AOL message  Send AJ2VM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
yeah, it's pretty good. I got a question. While we were on vacation this president's day weekend, my parent's computer's Power supply got fried and the mobo, however the HD survived, as far as we know. We took it up to the local computer store, they plugged it into another comuter, and it worked. However when we try to hook it into my computer, i get a message saying "Insert a bot device and restart and choose the boot device." At least it was something like that. take the other HD out and it works fine, but we need both, to back up files and put them onto my HD. Any ideas as to what is going on??

Go to Top of Page

Woody
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  8:06:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like they are both set to master, you just need to change some jumpers so one of them is a slave. You might need to check the manufacturers website to find out how to set them.

Reality is for those that cant handle video games.
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  8:30:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Set your old drive as the slave so you boot from the systems real drive, it's already setup to go.

You will have to look at the jumpers on the back of both though.
Your main drive may be set to CS for Cable Select.
Set it as MS master, the drive that surived as SL slave.
quote:
Update: thanks, I found some new drivers on Nvidia's website, that actually would have been the last place to look...

Nope, the 1st

Go to Top of Page

AJ2VM
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  06:22:37 AM  Show Profile  Send AJ2VM an AOL message  Send AJ2VM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmmm on the HD it says no jumper is slave... so take the jumper out i guess? Is there a way to find out what form of motherboard is in a computer without turning it on? my parents may just buy a new mobo and power supply instaed of Best Buy's suggestion, "Buy one of our computers".

Go to Top of Page

Woody
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  08:51:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Is there a way to find out what form of motherboard is in a computer without turning it on?

If its a brand name you can look up the type of motherboard if you know the model number. If not you will have to open the case and the brand and model number will be on the board somewhere.

Reality is for those that cant handle video games.
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  10:42:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJ2VM

Hmmmmmm on the HD it says no jumper is slave... so take the jumper out i guess?
Yes.
And your mobo is an ECS Alhena.
Google it and find the specs.

I suggest you update your listing here with the URL to the spec page for the next time you need it ;-}

Go to Top of Page

AJ2VM
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  2:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Send AJ2VM an AOL message  Send AJ2VM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok i'll take it out and try. I need to find the mobo form for my parents computer not mine

Go to Top of Page

AJ2VM
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  11:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Send AJ2VM an AOL message  Send AJ2VM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, whats up? Sorry I haven't been around much, with school starting, its all been a bit hectic. Anyways, I was recently looking around at some games at my local best buy, and it seems i really need more memory. So I was looking around and I found this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161675. What do you guys think? Any good, as in it wont bottleneck my current memory at all? Or is this one better? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134045

Edited by - AJ2VM on 11/18/2007 1:23:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Stampede
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  2:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would get two of the second link and swap them for that 512 stick.

Go to Top of Page

AJ2VM
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  2:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Send AJ2VM an AOL message  Send AJ2VM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't have that much money at the moment, i figure I can buy one now and buy another later to replace the 512 stick... and my parents won't let me get two anyways. But anyways the second one is good? Oh, and the second one is a PC2 5300, but the one i have now is PC2 4300. Do the numbers make any difference at all? Or are the higher numbers newer... jut making sure ;-).

Edited by - AJ2VM on 11/18/2007 3:21:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Stampede
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  8:28:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The faster ram will be slowed to mach the speed of the rest.

Go to Top of Page

AJ2VM
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  8:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Send AJ2VM an AOL message  Send AJ2VM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
so the second one is faster than the RAM I currently have? So that means that the 4300 and 5300 are different speeds? Alright I guess im understanding it

Go to Top of Page

AJ2VM
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  3:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Send AJ2VM an AOL message  Send AJ2VM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I got the new memory today (finally) and it works great! My PC Wizard score is down at the moment, proably because I haven't defraged in a while... so I'll edit it when I do. Thanks for the help Stampede!

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  07:40:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the numbers refer to speed.

PC 4200 533MHz
PC 5300 667MHz
PC2 6400 800MHz
PC2 7200 900MHz
PC2 8000 1000MHz
PC2 8500 1066MHz
PC3 10666 1333MHz

And as Stampede mentioned, all memory will usually slow to the speed of the slowest, but that depends on how your CMOS looks at memory for auto clock determination.
It many be possible to manually set memory speed and you could force it to run at the slower chip speed, or even try to run them both at the higher speed and see if you have a problem.

For the most part however it always better to keep all your memory the same.

Go to Top of Page

AJ2VM
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  3:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Send AJ2VM an AOL message  Send AJ2VM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, ok, I thought for a second there that it had something to do with the slot type. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm looking for some memory.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000