Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 9:31:19 PM on 12/11/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 MY PC
 BigDOGGe`s New $200 PC
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  11:28:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Machine Name:GQ5140    ID:209 
Make or Model: Frys inhouse brand
Last Edit: 7/2/2012
Motherboard: ECS 945GZT-M
Processor: Intel Celeron @ 3200 MHz
CPU Socket: LGA 775
Primary Video: EVGA Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS (512 MB)    PCI Express? Yes
Memory: 2 GB (1 GB module x 2)
Boot Drive: Hard Disk : Western Digital 7200 RPM 80 GB SATA

PC Wizard Mark:2803    3DMark:0

Printer Friendly Full Parts Listing

Other Components and Comments:

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  07:44:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a good home system right out of the box, but the combination of intigrated graphics and the Vista Home operating system, it is not much of gamer.

The driving games from TRI like Evo2 play, but the more graphic intense games like Flatout 2 were unplayable even with all of the video options set to minimum.

I have an identical system here and loaded it with XP.
Gameplay was improved enough to make games like Flatout2 playable, but I recommend a PCIe video card, even a $100 one for a better experience.

I put my $200 video card in the XP version and tested again.

The 10x increase in video performence didn't increase the PC Wizard score by much but it made a world of difference in game play.
Flatout 2 gameplay even with the video settings turned up was fluid and studder free.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2009 :  6:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I found out why this PC was able to sell so cheap.

I'm in the process of a full rebuild, but before installing Win XP pro I decided to try Vista home version again to learn a few things. Vista home came with it (with only 500 megs of RAM, the home version is the only Vista O.S. it will run).

Well, I pulled out the system recovery disc that came with the machine, booted up with it, and after 30 seconds or so a message came up that stated "This demo has expired".

What! The O.S. recovery disc that came with the computer is only temporary? How cheapskate can a manufacturer get?

XP-pro, here I come again.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  06:53:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never heard of such a thing.
I wonder if maybe the software they used to make the recovery disc is what is expiring?

Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  08:58:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is strange, yet this IS a Frys brand, and I'm sure they'd want you to buy a copy of windows, since they probably didn't make much on the package deal.

Have you also noticed that Frys seems to have dropped the GQ brand altogether? They no longer sell store-brand stuff. I use to buy GQ CDs and DVDs because they were the last expensive but they no longer stock 'em. The other major brands were probably complaining.

Anyway, it DEFINITELY runs faster with the 8400gs video card, and I disabled on-board sound and added an ol' soundblaster live audio card too to take some of the load off the processor. Someday when I have the money, I want to upgrade the ram and maybe pop in a core 2 duo processor too (the latter is the fastest CPU the M/B will accept).

Go to Top of Page

Stalkerrob
MY PC

Canada
555 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  1:25:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigDOGGe

I think I found out why this PC was able to sell so cheap.

I'm in the process of a full rebuild, but before installing Win XP pro I decided to try Vista home version again to learn a few things. Vista home came with it (with only 500 megs of RAM, the home version is the only Vista O.S. it will run).

Well, I pulled out the system recovery disc that came with the machine, booted up with it, and after 30 seconds or so a message came up that stated "This demo has expired".

What! The O.S. recovery disc that came with the computer is only temporary? How cheapskate can a manufacturer get?

XP-pro, here I come again.

wow thats stupid. lol

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  07:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have you also noticed that Frys seems to have dropped the GQ brand altogether?
GQ (Good Quality) can still be found but I think you're right, Fry's seems to be phasing GQ out and at least for PC's, selling refurbed HP's.

Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  11:10:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KC

quote:

Have you also noticed that Frys seems to have dropped the GQ brand altogether?
GQ (Good Quality) can still be found but I think you're right, Fry's seems to be phasing GQ out and at least for PC's, selling refurbed HP's.

Actually, Fry's GQ brand means GREAT Quality, but I think your name is more accurate...(heh-heh).

Go to Top of Page

WillieMillbrae
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2009 :  11:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also purchased a GQ5140. Now I am having issues will my memory upgrade. I am trying to install Corsair Model# TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX, which is a 2 x 1 GB DDR2 800. My computer powers up, but does not boot. Any ideas? Both corsair and ECS claim to support the memory.
Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  5:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BD, so are you saying Fry's said it included the OS and lied. Or just hid the demo OS part in fine print someplace?

Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  9:43:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I saying is, the system re-install disk says expired.

Luckily, I still have my XP pro disk, so I just installed that.

Go to Top of Page

[RCG]Balthazar
Administrator
MY PC

Norway
489 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  09:25:18 AM  Show Profile  Click to see [RCG]Balthazar's MSN Messenger address  Send [RCG]Balthazar a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think I have a stick or tree o DDR2 around.
Want it?

Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  3:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally upped my RAM to 2 GIGS, the system max. Gee, I only had 500 megs for the last 5 years....About time, eh?

FRYs had the two modules for only $32 the pair, about half what they were a couple of years ago. I got the last ones in the area too.

There was a dual-core processor upgrade my PC would accept too, a "Core 2 Duo" E4400 (or E4300) with 800-mhz front side busses, but I doubt that CPU is still available anywhere.

Go to Top of Page

Woody
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  8:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
There was a dual-core processor upgrade my PC would accept too, a "Core 2 Duo" E4400 (or E4300) with 800-mhz front side busses, but I doubt that CPU is still available anywhere.

Amazon for 83.65

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-HH80557PG0412M-LGA775-Dual-Core-Processor/dp/B000NX5C02

Reality is for those that cant handle video games.
Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  10:41:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thx, but I was hoping for a place I could visit personally (like Frys Electronics). I have no idea who "Vema Electronics" is or where they are located (Do they even HAVE a "brick & morter" store?). I just don't like buying things I can't personally inspect first.

Maybe I'll visit Weird Stuff Warehouse and see what they currently have. You can never tell with them.

Again, thanks anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Woody
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  7:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have bought lots of stuff through amazon from third party vendors. I would not be worried about being ripped off the transacton would be covered by amazon's A-to-z Guarantee Protection

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=537868

quote:
We want you to buy with confidence anytime you purchase products on the Amazon.com website or use Amazon Payments. That is why we guarantee purchases from Amazon Marketplace sellers when payment is made via the Amazon.com website or when you use Amazon Payments for qualified purchases on third-party websites. The condition of the item you buy and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the Amazon A-to-z Guarantee.

If you dont have or want to set up an account with amazon I'll order it for you.

Reality is for those that cant handle video games.
Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator
MY PC

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  8:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx. Appreciate that. When the time comes that I have the money and am ready to purchase one, I may just take you up on that offer.

I wasn't planning one buying one right away though. The RAM upgrade is about all I can afford for now. More important expenses cry for my attention,.....and my wallet.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000