Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 4:38:57 PM on 12/12/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 MY PC
 MustangX`s PC
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MustangX
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  6:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Machine Name:PC    ID:220 
Make or Model: Dell Dimension XPS Generation 4
Last Edit: 6/30/2007
Motherboard: Intel
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 560J @ 3600 MHz
CPU Socket: LGA 775
Primary Video: ATi RADEON x850 XT PE    PCI Express? Yes
Memory: 2048 MB (4 x 512 DDR2-SDRAM )
Boot Drive: Western Digital Raptor 74 GB 10k RPM

PC Wizard Mark:3247    3DMark:0

Printer Friendly Full Parts Listing

Other Components and Comments:

landlubber
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
303 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  2:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Send landlubber an AOL message  Click to see landlubber's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nice system. do you have another had drive? or do you just use that raptor?
Go to Top of Page

MustangX
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  07:48:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope, I only use the raptor. I was thinking about getting another raptor or just a bigger one, but I'd rather have the 150GB Raptor and a different one running at 7200 would seem slow.
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  1:30:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MustangX

...but I'd rather have the 150GB Raptor and a different one running at 7200 would seem slow.

Well, for data drives a big 7200RPM sata 300 (sata2) would actually be better than another 10K RMP sata 150 raptor.

You want that ultra access time speed for your OS drive, but for a data drive you want the bigger data pipe.

I run the small raptor as a boot and a 300+ GB Maxtor sata 2 as a data drive and it's ideal.

Nice box Mustang.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page

MustangX
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  4:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KC, what hard drive would you recommend if I were to use it for storage such as games, music, pictures, etc. Would it be ideal to order something like this or just go to an electronics store such as Circuit City and pick one up?

And thanks.
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  10:44:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My experience here in Phoenix is new HD's are cheap and plentiful locally.
You can watch for the Friday and Sunday ad's, but for the most part you can walk into a store and get a 300+ GB 7200 SATA2 for about $80 anytime.

You may save a buck or two on-line, but if you have a close retail place it will cost you less time and money if it has problem a problem when you fire it up.
As for brand, well, as long as you mount it give it plently of air most any brand will last you a good 5 years before you need to worry about it.

As for how to get the most from multiple drives I recommend this:
Besides what I mention in the post above...
Install all your programs on the fast boot drive.
Partion the second drive out and include a partition the same size as your boot drive as the first partion and a boot enabled drive.
Use this for backup of your main boot drive, programs like Norton Ghost can make this very easy for you to do in the background.
In the event of a catastrophic failure of your boot drive, you can simply boot from your backup drive.

Depending on the size of the 2nd drive, one or two more partitions of 4.3GB should be enough.
Maybe one for important document and picture saves, and another for things like music and game add-ons that can be easily replaced.
That way, you can easily just copy an entie data drive to a single DVD backup every now and again.

One other note is defraging and virus/adware scanning.
Trying to defrag a 300GB HD one partition drive is a nightmare even on a fast system.
Just defrag a different partition every few day is much easier and will make everything faster ;-}

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page

MustangX
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  6:53:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like something to look into KC, but not right now considering I'm looking at a vehicle. Added a picture of what my desk looks like, I'll get a better picture of my whole computer, instead of the front of it, later.

Edited by - MustangX on 06/30/2007 6:53:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

landlubber
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
303 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  6:21:54 PM  Show Profile  Send landlubber an AOL message  Click to see landlubber's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just noticed that i think you have the EXACT same speakers as me. are those Z-4's? they look an awful lot like it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000