Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 11:12:06 PM on 12/11/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Windows Tips, Tricks and Fixes
 Speed up Windows Tasks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

FaustKnight
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  12:16:50 PM  Show Profile  Click to see FaustKnight's MSN Messenger address  Send FaustKnight a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
First make a backup fo your registry.

Click Start-> run-> type 'regedit' (without quotes) and press OK. Now select Export from the File menu, and save it in a place you will recall. Simply by double-clicking this it will restore the registry to what it was at the point you exported it in case something does happen. The chances are low, but just in case

Click Start; Run; Type "regedit" (without quotes) and press OK. Now you can navigate to the appropriate areas.

1. Speed-up Shutdown:
Well obviously, these few things just make shut-down a little more snappy.
-> Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\
(i) Change "HungAppTimeout" value to 5000 (should be default)
(ii) Change "WaitToKillAppTimeout" value to 4000 (default is 20000)
-> Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\
(i) Change "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" value to 4000 (default is 20000)

2. Stop the 'last access update' stamp:
Every time a directory is accessed by Windows XP, it updates that directory and every subdirectory with a time stamp to indicate the date of access. In folders with a heap of subdirectories, this obviously adds unecessary overhead to whatever your PC happens to be doing. So disable it.
-> Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem.
(i) Create new DWORD “NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate” and set to '1'

3. Keep Windows operating data in main memory:
Instead of paging uneccesarily to the hard drive this forces data to be held longer in manin memory to improve performance (recommended with 384MB memory + only)
-> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management.
(i) Set “DisablePagingExecutive” value to '1'

XPS M1710: Windows MCE/WindowBlinds XP
3D Mark 2005 10,275 - 3D Mark 2006 5,746

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  10:21:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Handy tips, most are for programs that don't won't bow out on their own but I'll see if the disable paging helps, I'd think the PagingExecutive program does what it proports to, manage when paging needs to be used and with 2GB of ram would keep the everything in RAM until that ran out and then choose what should be cached, but, if it's default is to cache the OS right off the bat then sure this makes sence.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things ©¿©¬
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000