Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 9:29:27 PM on 12/11/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Hardware Reviews
 Cell phone Dock-N-Talk
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  11:20:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is pretty cool, the cell phone Dock-N-Talk, under $200.

http://www.phonelabs.com/prd05.asp

In that picture the gizmo plugs directly into a single phone, but if you have an unused house phone line you can also plug it into any open phone jack in your house and use all of your phones, answering machine, modem, any regular phone device, plus it charges the cell phone while it's hooked up.

I plan to test one.

My house is wired for 4 lines, I already have a couple of two line phones using Cox Cable, and with this we can drop the kids cell in and poof, two "land" lines I can use from my big comfortable office two line phone.

Two "land lines" and neither goes through Ma Bell, thats got to chaffe her hehehe ;-}

From what I've read it's pretty cool, you get many of your cell phone feature on you home phone network like caller ID, memory dial, the works.

My son has a pretty fancy cell, I guess well see.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things

Evan
Better Poster
MY PC

Canada
337 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  04:20:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ever heard of that thing I saw on tv called "magic jack"? it is supposedly a way to screw over the phone company by using your internet connection to make calls. It is a usb jack you plug your phone into and use it, they supposedly only charge you once for the usb jack and then you are free and clear to call whoever, wherever for free over your internet connection.

The big drawback of that being if you use it to replace your land line, you need to have your pc running all the time to make sure you get all your calls.

Go See Bucko
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  10:44:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vontage has an internet phone package, it's like $30 a month but uses it's own box connected to your home net so your PC don't have to be on, and there is local calls of course, but no long distance charge to anywhere in the US and Canada.

And Magic Jack is not free...

You can voice chat on your PC with others all you want for free, but you can't call a phone number land or cell over the net wihtout a computer on the other end turning your net call back into a phone call, and nobody runs those computers and pays for the lines for free.

But back to topic...
This is the device I envisioned over a year ago, pluging your cell line into your house system as just another available phone line to all your house phones.
Cool beans in my book.

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Better Poster
MY PC

Canada
337 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  7:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Magic Jack costs you only $39.95 for the first year and $19.95 for subsequent years."
So like what? 3.33 a monthf or the first year?

"MagicJack uses VOIP to route your calls to MagicJack routing center and then it subsequently routes your calls to other home phones in the US."

So what I gather from that is that you make a voip call to their center and they do whatever it is they do to have it call someone else's land line. If the other person has the same voip thing they just send it through to their computer.

No requirement for the other person to have this magic jack thing or voip.

Looks like it is worth a shot to me if it works in canada. I barely use my phone at all. And when I do, it is usually someone calling me into work or telemarketers.

I could personally go without a phone but it is kinda required for alot of things. Too bad employers and other important people don't just use msn... :P

Go See Bucko
Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2008 :  11:09:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to trust your telephone calls over the net, go for it.
I was reluctent to go with Cox Cable for phone because it uses the same thing, it's just the fact it's local over their own wires from my house to their place to make phone connections that I gave in to it, it's not Voice Over Internet Protocal (VOIP) so it's pretty stable.

Regardless of what actual hard wired household telephone system you have, being able to plug in your cell phone to it seemed preety cool me is all.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000