Elite Computers
REGISTER Other People All Forums Active Topics Contact Staff Enter a PC Buy a PC Forum Search Forum Help Main Forum menuNoLogin Image Map
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Who's here at 6:09:46 PM on 10/20/2017?
 All Forums
 Computer Forums
 Hardware Reviews
 SoundBlaster Audigy SE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OSDCrusher
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
399 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  6:16:30 PM  Show Profile  Send OSDCrusher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Bought this last weekend for $30 for my Dell Dimension 8400 which had integrated audio.

Specs:

Playback: 24-bit Digital-to Analog conversion in 16 or 24-bit with sampling rates of up to 96Khz to analog 5.1 speakers
Recording: 24-bit Analog-to-Digital conversion in 16 or 24-bit with sampling rates of up to 96kHz
SPDIF output with up to 24-bit resolution at selectable sampling rates of 44.1, 48 and 96kHz

On-Board Connectors Line level Out (Front / Rear / Side / Center / Subwoofer) or Headphone Out
Line In / Microphone In / *Digital I/O
Aux Audio In
Supports SPDIF Out for Stereo Digital Speakers or SPDIF In/Out with Creative Digital I/O Module (sold separately)

Overall: I think this is a good card from Creative Labs. Not for the hardcore gamer, just for casual users and the occasonal game.

[url=http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=681394][/url]

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  11:38:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know...
I suppose if you don't use a real amp to power your speakers an add-on sound card would trump on-board sound.
That does kind of make it's SPDIF out a moot point though.

Digital is Digital, and the Realteck sound chip on my board works the same as any other.
It has the fancy effects software and everything, and comes with the motherboard for free.

I use a nice big Kenwood home entertainment receiver for my office PC sound.
All I have connected from the MB's sound out is the SPDIF cable.
Digital to a REAL amp and big speakers baby.

I'll I'm saying is, if you want to put money towards stealer sound, for the most part you should be putting it towards a good amp with SPDIF digital ability and use you on-board ability to provide it.

Nice review though Crusher.
Thanks.
Nice concise reviews like this one are always welcome here with open arms bud ;-}

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page

WhyNot
Advanced Member
MY PC

Canada
913 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  12:39:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the very similar X-FI Xtreme

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=15855

It made a huge difference in the realism of surround sound in games under XP. but in vista the on board sound is just as good at doing the job. [my guess is better drivers]
the only thing i can bark about with both these cards are the lack of separate ports for input, aux, and mic. there are internal hookups for aux but it makes no difference because you can only use one or the other. i found this to be a pain when i was running 2 systems, and one had the sound hooked threw the other, so i only needed 1 set of speakers. i had to go into the control program and switch back and forth to use a mic. But with the way this card makes my surround sound sing. they are worth every cent.

after all why_not :P
Go to Top of Page

MaD2ko0l
Better Poster
MY PC

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  1:28:39 PM  Show Profile  Click to see MaD2ko0l's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i ahve this 1

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=16770

again its similar but has the extra connectors.

it made a huge difference in vista for me, the sound is so much more clear and many options to tinker with. but for me i have the digital TosLink connections going to the xbox360 to get the digital surroudn sound which also works liek a treat.

its also a cheap card to use that was in my budget at the time.

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  2:18:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sound cards claim to boost game performance (analog & digital) over onboard audio and the reviews Ive seen seem to agree.

Example: http://us.creative.com/local/1/promo/findyoursb/gaming.asp

Go to Top of Page

Woody
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  2:25:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WheelSmoke

Sound cards claim to boost game performance (analog & digital) over onboard audio and the reviews Ive seen seem to agree.

Example: http://us.creative.com/local/1/promo/findyoursb/gaming.asp

Yes, all things being equal a sound card will improve FPS a bit since it frees up a little CPU time. But with multi-core CPUs and the higher clock speeds nowdays the difference it slight, ie it takes relatively few CPU cycles to power the onboard sound.

IMHO if you concerned about those few FPS just spend the extra dollars on a better CPU or video card instead of a dedicated sound card.

Reality is for those that cant handle video games.
Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  2:37:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
It made a huge difference in the realism of surround sound in games under XP. but in vista the on board sound is just as good at doing the job. [my guess is better drivers]

Just a shot in the dark but FWIW...

I noticed something plastered all over there site about needing ALchemy to restore 3D sound in vista. http://images.americas.creative.com/images/flash/swf/vista_online_en.swf

Go to Top of Page

OSDCrusher
Better Poster
MY PC

USA
399 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  2:41:43 PM  Show Profile  Send OSDCrusher an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KC

I don't know...
I suppose if you don't use a real amp to power your speakers an add-on sound card would trump on-board sound.
That does kind of make it's SPDIF out a moot point though.

Digital is Digital, and the Realteck sound chip on my board works the same as any other.
It has the fancy effects software and everything, and comes with the motherboard for free.

I use a nice big Kenwood home entertainment receiver for my office PC sound.
All I have connected from the MB's sound out is the SPDIF cable.
Digital to a REAL amp and big speakers baby.

I'll I'm saying is, if you want to put money towards stealer sound, for the most part you should be putting it towards a good amp with SPDIF digital ability and use you on-board ability to provide it.

Nice review though Crusher.
Thanks.
Nice concise reviews like this one are always welcome here with open arms bud ;-}

Thanks KC. I try :) I am posting two more. One for the Radeon HD 4650 and HD 3850.

[url=http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=681394][/url]
Go to Top of Page

MaD2ko0l
Better Poster
MY PC

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  2:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Click to see MaD2ko0l's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i instaleld the ALchemy thingy..didnt try it without it so cannot comment but it really did make a huge difference for me and regards to game performance...i havent noticed anything but then again i havent been looking for a difference.

but my reasoning for a dedicated sound card was for the xbox to get surround sound from it.
Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Advanced Member
MY PC

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  3:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My system runs evo2 without much effort. (250-300fps) But the sound made for rocks flying up (roost) from the tires has always made the display get one big stutter and my best guess is its caused by the onboard audio.

Without adding a sound card its not been proven but everything else under the sun has been ruled out over time so nothing else is left.

Another weird thing about the studder is stuff like the games 'frame', fraps, task manager and so on can not even see it happened.

Go to Top of Page

KC
Head Honcho
MY PC

USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  09:37:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WheelSmoke

"The X-Fi audio processing engine boosts real game performance by more than 15% over ordinary motherboard audio."

I wonder what they consider "ordinary motherboard audio"?
It's come a long way the last couple of years.

KC's Kruisers - It's all how you look at things
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Elite Computers Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000