Q&A  -  
HELP!
=VEHICLES=
Download
  Reviews
    Upload
  Q&A  -  
HELP!
KC's Store   Tracks: FREE - RCG - Random - Models UP - Down   Vehicles: FREE - Random - Search/Sort Turbo
   10/23/2017   8:23:18 AM     
  CHAT  Nobody in Chat

REGISTER or enter your Username &
Password:
and
Save Password

Forgot your Password?

Forums Page
 Truck Making Q&A
 Color changeable truck tutorial by Chachoze
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Color changeable truck tutorial by Chachoze Next Topic  
BigDOGGe
Administrator

USA
16529 Posts
Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  12:40:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
( This was originally posted by Chachoze in a truck review thread. I moved it to the truck-making room )

---------------------------------------------------------------------

To make your vehicle color changable you will need two things and for this particular vehicle they couldnt be any easier to come up with since the entire vehicle is one solid color.

The first is a properly size raw texture and a working opa file that tells the game that your vehicle is color changable and for that you should take another look at Warriors post in your pod building post(I'm not doing all the work for ya,lol). Remeber that the high detail part of you model can use 512x512 sized textures and the low detail version MUST use a 256x256 sized version.

The second is a set of numbers that you put in your truck file that tells the game what colors to use. Those numbers are refered to as the H.S.V (Hue, Saturation and Value)and R.G.B(Red, Green and Blue)numbers. To get those numbers you can use a little know tool in the track editor. This part I will help a little.

You will need to use the track editor and resize your truck texture size to 512x512 and start up the editor in software render mode.(NOT DX8 mode)
Once you have the track editor running go into the "Model Menu" and within there is a nifty little tool that TRI included and my guess is not many truck makers probably know about. Its called the HSV Color Picker and it will generate the proper numbers for the colors you need.
Once you enter the color picker you will be asked to select a texture file for you vehicle and again it must be 512x512 to work.

Once you've selected your trucks texture you will be shown a screen that looks like this.

In this pic you will notice that I used the Arb Jeep texture and as we all know come painted yellow as stock. You will also notice that there are three slider bars on the left side if the pick with various colors in them and at the top of the screen is a readout of the numbers that we will need. (I enlarged those numbers in the middle of the pic for readability.)

Those three slider bars (from left to right) control the HUE, SATURATION and the VALUE(a form of brightness/contrast). Start out by moving the Hue slider up or down to pick the primary color you want. The Saturation slider adjusts how much of that color to use and of course the Value adjusts the overall brightness of that color. As you move the sliders the color of the texture changes accordingly in realtime so its easy to find the colors you want and when you do you will need to write down the six sets of numbers in the readout area and then input them into your trk file.

Now open your trk file and at the bottom are two entries. "numColors" and "colorList". Under the numcolors line change the "0" to the desired number of color you want your vehicle to use. Under the colorList is where we will put these HSV,RGB numbers we got from the picker. In this example it would look something like this.
129.75,+1.25,-17.92,16,209,202

Remeber that you will need a separte set of HSV:RGB numbers for each color you want to use. There ya go, thats how easy it is to add color to your vehicle.

I'm sure other truck makers will correct me if I missed anything.

Chachoze

"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal" - Henry Ford

Lukethedude
Track Designer

USA
2289 Posts
Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  06:05:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lukethedude's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Thank you so much BD! I have to go to school and then to marching band rehease but after all that I'll try it out! Always wanted to knoe

Heres a pic of a plane called the Goose one of 20 on earth. Go to Top of Page

BashawBrothers
Gadget & Blaster

USA
1454 Posts
Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  10:06:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit BashawBrothers's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
quote:

Thank you so much BD! I have to go to school and then to marching band rehease but after all that I'll try it out! Always wanted to knoe

Just to set this straight, Luke, Chachoze was the one that wrote it all out. (BigDOGGe just moved it to a different room.)

"When all else fails, look at the instruction manual." - G&B Go to Top of Page

Lukethedude
Track Designer

USA
2289 Posts
Posted - Nov 29 2005 :  4:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lukethedude's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I know that one let me try to figure this out. Hum....is it tiome to give up yet? lol j/k

Heres a pic of a plane called the Goose one of 20 on earth. Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Color changeable truck tutorial by Chachoze Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

KC's Evo2 Place

KC Vale

Go To Top Of Page