Q&A  -  
HELP!
=VEHICLES=
Download
  Reviews
    Upload
  Q&A  -  
HELP!
KC's Store   Tracks: FREE - RCG - Random - Models UP - Down   Vehicles: FREE - Random - Search/Sort Turbo
   12/12/2017   4:34:34 PM     
  CHAT  Nobody in Chat

REGISTER or enter your Username &
Password:
and
Save Password

Forgot your Password?

Forums Page
 Truck Making Q&A
 Making TIFs and BUMP TIFs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Making TIFs and BUMP TIFs Next Topic  
cheddar bird~dude
Mac Truck Maker

822 Posts
Posted - May 03 2006 :  2:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, need some Mac help.

Well, its part of the TIF painting process. I can paint on them fine.

Save name: CBLIBERT.TIF

So its this part that gets me:

CBLIBERT0.TIF
CBLIBERT_BUMP.TIF
CBLIBERT0_BUMP.TIF

How do I make the 0 and the _BUMP (the negative blue-ish color looking one)? Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
WRT~VP~cheddarbird

My site, what now.
>>www.freewebs.com/cheddarbird<<

FordLord
PTTM Designer

USA
1279 Posts
Posted - May 03 2006 :  3:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Send FordLord an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
dun dun dun dun! FL to the rescue! the _bumps you can just leave alone, the 0.TIF you need to resize the reguler .TIF texture to 256x256

"If your so funny, why am I not laughing?" (Me) Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator

USA
16540 Posts
Posted - May 03 2006 :  5:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
All textures who's name end with "0" (those for the low detail truck model) should be 256x256 pixels, including BUMP textures. The regular truck texture is 512x512 pixels.

You can make the "0" tif from the regular one simply by reducing the 512x512 texture to 256x256 pixels and saving it with a "0" added to the existing name.

EXAMPLE:
BIGFEET.TIF (regular texture)
BIGFEET0.TIF (low detail texture)

As far as making PROPER _bump textures, this is how I make them on my Windows PC....I'm not sure how to do so on a MAC, but the info may prove useful to someone...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

How to make _BUMP textures using Adobe Photoshop 5.5 and Adobe Image Ready 2.0...

Load your 512x512 pixel .TIF texture (make sure it has an alpha channel already, or add one to it if not)

Select Image/Mode and choose RGB mode

Select Filter/Stylize/Find Edges

Select Image/Adjust/Brightness-Contrast

Ajust brightness to -40 (negative 40) and contrast to -50 (negative 50) and click OK

Select Image/Adjust/Channel Mixer

In the channel mixer settings select BLUE for the output channel and
then set the output channels to 50, 50 and 100 (100 for the blue channel). Click OK

Leaving it in RGB mode, select FILES/JUMP TO/ADOBE IMAGEREADY 2.0

Photoshop wil ask if you want to save the file

Save it as a .PSD format file, and then ImageReady 2.0 will automatically start-up and display the texture

Select FILES, choose EXPORT ORIGINAL and save it as a .TIF file with "_BUMP" added to the name. When it asks how much compression to use, select NONE

EXAMPLE: If the original texture was called BIGFOOT.TIF, then name the bump texture as BIGFOOT_BUMP.TIF

Now you are done.

Do the same steps with your 256x256 low detail texture (the 256x256 pixel version of your texture with the "0" in the name)

Here's a sample of an original texture and the _BUMP texture I made from it:

Original .TIF

New _BUMP .TIF

--> Click HERE for my EVO2 truck selection Go to Top of Page

cheddar bird~dude
Mac Truck Maker

822 Posts
Posted - May 04 2006 :  2:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Thanks a bunch BD, understood all. But still got a jPod problem. I saved the TIFs called CBLIB.TIF, CBLIB0.TIF, CBLIB_BUMP.TIF, and CBLIB0_BUMP.TIF. I put it all together in jPod. I found it in the game, but when I open it, it says "error opening model: CBLIB.bin". ???

My site, what now.
>>www.freewebs.com/cheddarbird<< Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator

USA
16540 Posts
Posted - May 04 2006 :  2:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I'm not familiar with Jpod problems (never owned a Mac), but I do know that there's no stock truck model by the name of CBLIB. Did you add one to your game?

cheddar bird~dude
Mac Truck Maker

822 Posts
Posted - May 04 2006 :  2:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Well, CBLIB id what I named my .TIF file. Should I re-name it to something else?

My site, what now.

BigDOGGe
Administrator

USA
16540 Posts
Posted - May 04 2006 :  4:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
quote:
Well, CBLIB id what I named my .TIF file.

And how did you apply the new .tif name to the model you wanted repainted? Did you open the .SMF model(s) in a text editor and change all the original texture names to your new .tif names?

Here's a sample of an .SMF model as seen in a text editor. This sample shows one location in the .SMF file listing the texture and bump texture that it uses for paint. There will usually be several such locations in the model listing the texture names, so use your editor's EDIT/REPLACE ALL function to change all instances to the new texture names you chose.

Once this is done, save the modified model with a new filename. Usually it's best to give it the same name you gave the repainted textures. In your case that would be:

CBLIB.SMF and CBLIB0.SMF

(the latter being the low detail model. You need to change the texture names in both models).

As long as all you are changing is the paint, you won't need a modeling program like Zmodeler to apply the repainted and renamed .TIFs to your model.....Just a text editor (fortunately, TRI made the model files as text files, but with the .TXT extension changed to .SMF).

NOTE that this only works with the texture that was originally mapped to the model. You can't use this method to take a texture file from one truck model, repaint it and then apply it to a completely different model.

cheddar bird~dude
Mac Truck Maker

822 Posts
Posted - May 04 2006 :  5:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Um, not trying to be stupid or annoying but...
?
Hold on, what is the SMF I'm trying to open? Do I extract it from like TRUCK.POD or something?

My site, what now.

BigDOGGe
Administrator

USA
16540 Posts
Posted - May 04 2006 :  6:05:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
quote:
Hold on, what is the SMF I'm trying to open?

To answer that, you have ask yourself a question.....Where did you get the .TIFs that you repainted, and what were their original filenames before you changed them?

cheddar bird~dude
Mac Truck Maker

822 Posts
Posted - May 04 2006 :  7:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Oh, I think I found it. It's gettin late though, I'll mess with it later. Thanks for your help so far!

My site, what now.

samtylr

Canada
48 Posts
Posted - May 05 2006 :  04:28:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit samtylr's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
ok i got almost everything BigDOGGe said but i still don't know how to add an alpha channel (i'm using PSP X) but i need help!!

Sam's 4x4 Evo2 Designs - http://www.samtylrdesigns.piczo.com Go to Top of Page

samtylr

Canada
48 Posts
Posted - May 05 2006 :  04:56:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit samtylr's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
ok forget the alpha channel i got it anyways i did everything but i keep getting:

Sam's 4x4 Evo2 Designs - http://www.samtylrdesigns.piczo.com Go to Top of Page

IRC_Mac Dude
Mac truck maker

USA
504 Posts
Posted - May 05 2006 :  09:12:28 AM  Show Profile  Send IRC_Mac Dude an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
That een helps me alot. Im makin custom textures and i use alot of ingame trucks, and i want to upload them but i dont want to make anyone have to replace ingame textures so i will do that. thanks BD!

My first custom paint Go to Top of Page

cheddar bird~dude
Mac Truck Maker

822 Posts
Posted - May 06 2006 :  4:37:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
It's looking for a .BIN file. Did I not change enough in the SMF?

My site, what now.

BigDOGGe
Administrator

USA
16540 Posts
Posted - May 06 2006 :  6:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
When the game says it's looking for a BIN, then you may have messed up the SMF. So much as a missing comma or misplaced period can do that. I'd suggest starting over with an unmodified SMF and trying again....Take your time, and make sure you just change the texture name in the SMF model. make sure there are no spaces in the filenames too.

cheddar bird~dude
Mac Truck Maker

822 Posts
Posted - May 07 2006 :  11:03:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Well, actually it was looking for a BIN before I even started changing the SMF.

My site, what now.

IRC_Mac Dude
Mac truck maker

USA
504 Posts
Posted - May 07 2006 :  11:52:19 AM  Show Profile  Send IRC_Mac Dude an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
it always says cant load ____.bin smfs work too. all u need to do is make sure that the truck model base name is correct.

cheddar bird~dude
Mac Truck Maker

822 Posts
Posted - May 07 2006 :  5:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
What should the base name be? The name of the TIF? SMF? Something else?

My site, what now.

IRC_Mac Dude
Mac truck maker

USA
504 Posts
Posted - May 07 2006 :  5:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Send IRC_Mac Dude an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
the smf minus the extension.

cheddar bird~dude
Mac Truck Maker

822 Posts
Posted - May 07 2006 :  7:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
So, I should put the base name JEEPLIBERT?

My site, what now.

IRC_Mac Dude
Mac truck maker

USA
504 Posts
Posted - May 07 2006 :  8:48:44 PM  Show Profile  Send IRC_Mac Dude an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
well.. asuming u want the jeep liberty put in JEEPLIBERT as the base name. that is the base name the ingame liberty uses.to replace the ingame textures, pod the files named JEEPLIBERT.tif, JEEPLIBERT0.tif, JEEPLIBERT_BUMP.tif and JEEPLIBERT0_BUMP.tif . Then mount it ABOVE the truck.pod in the pod.ini

cheddar bird~dude
Mac Truck Maker

822 Posts
Posted - May 08 2006 :  05:28:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Are those TIFs the normals or painted

My site, what now.

IRC_Mac Dude
Mac truck maker

USA
504 Posts
Posted - May 08 2006 :  10:49:45 AM  Show Profile  Send IRC_Mac Dude an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Do not change the smf. then rename your tifs to those and it should work if you make a pod containing an art folder and mount it above the truck.pod in the pod.ini

cheddar bird~dude
Mac Truck Maker

822 Posts
Posted - May 08 2006 :  1:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Ok. Thanks SO much for all of your help guys. Here's a so-far of it. I plan to add more. Wheels will be changed too (possibly some sweet SMXL's?).

My site, what now.

cheddar bird~dude
Mac Truck Maker

822 Posts
Posted - May 09 2006 :  5:59:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
*wipes Mac Dude's drool from monitor* Yeah sure. Have fun with it.

My site, what now.

samtylr

Canada
48 Posts
Posted - May 12 2006 :  2:43:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit samtylr's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
ok forget the alpha channel i got it anyways i did everything but i keep getting:

HELP!!

Sam's 4x4 Evo2 Designs - http://www.samtylrdesigns.co.nr Go to Top of Page

samtylr

Canada
48 Posts
Posted - May 25 2006 :  2:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit samtylr's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
can any1 send me a zip for image ready & Photoshop 5.5 or give me a link cuz i can't find them anywere

BigDOGGe
Administrator

USA
16540 Posts
Posted - May 25 2006 :  4:41:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Photoshop 5.5 is an old version that is no longer available and hasn't been for a long time. Also, it's illegal to download or share copies of it.

Photoshop version 6 or 7 is also no longer available as a time-limited demo, but copies are still available through Amazon.com and other retailers:

Adobe Photoshop (old versions)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/002-6865979-2301667?url=index%3Dsoftware&field-keywords=adobe+photoshop&Go.x=11&Go.y=8

------------------------

The newest version of Adobe Photoshop is Photoshop CS2. You can download a trial version of it from the official Adobe website at:

Adobe Photoshop CS2
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/

======================================================================

The only other choice for making .TIFs with alpha channels is Paint Shop Pro, and it's much cheaper than Photoshop. The latest version of that program is ver.10, and is also available as a trial from it's home site at:

Paint Shop Pro 10
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel3/Products/Display&pfid=1047024307383

-------------------------

Paint Shop Pro 8 or 9 may be your best bet. You can still get copies from some retailers fairly cheaply. Used copies sell for as low as $19.00

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/002-6983906-7256861?url=index%3Dsoftware&field-keywords=paint+shop+pro

samtylr

Canada
48 Posts
Posted - May 26 2006 :  11:43:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit samtylr's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
ya thx BigDOGGe i found a tryout of photoshop CS2 so i'm good for about 30 days

Previous Topic Making TIFs and BUMP TIFs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

KC's Evo2 Place

KC Vale

Go To Top Of Page