Q&A  -  
HELP!
=VEHICLES=
Download
  Reviews
    Upload
  Q&A  -  
HELP!
KC's Store   Tracks: FREE - RCG - Random - Models UP - Down   Vehicles: FREE - Random - Search/Sort Turbo
   12/11/2017   11:23:04 PM     
  CHAT  Nobody in Chat

REGISTER or enter your Username &
Password:
and
Save Password

Forgot your Password?
 Forums Page
 Truck Making Q&A
 FOR BEGINNERS! (READ HERE ABOUT MAKING TRUCKS)!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Page: 
of 4
Author Previous Topic FOR BEGINNERS! (READ HERE ABOUT MAKING TRUCKS)!!!!  Next PageNext Topic  
[RCG]John

USA
289 Posts
Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  7:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit [RCG]John's Homepage  Send [RCG]John a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
OK, the place to start with building trucks is here:

http://members.cox.net/evohelp/

That site/tutorial will tell you everything you need to know about what is contained in a .trk file. This is where you edit HP/torque ratings, tires/wheels, wheel placement, etc.

Start with working on a .trk file, but in order to get a .trk file, you'll first need to learn how to extract the various files that make up a truck from it's .POD file. You'll need PODVIEW to do that(download it from Supermoto XL's, link below).

http://www.supermotoxl.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=28

Install the PODVIEW.EXE program into it's own folder of your making, or just install it into your 4x4EVO2 game folder.

Now, the first thing you want to do for proper function is add PodView to your Windows registry.

Start PodView (double-click on podview.exe), select the TOOLS menu and click on REGISTER SHELL EXTENSIONS. You only have to do this one time.

Once finished, exit PodView.

Now PodView will auto-activate by double-clicking directly on a .POD file.

Using PodView

Once PodView is registered, scroll through your downloaded truck .POD files to find the truck that you want to edit. Custom trucks will come in their own individual pods.

All of the stock game trucks (or more accurately, their model, art and parameter files) are found within a single .POD file named TRUCK.POD. It is found within the 4x4EVO2 game folder.

Create a new empty folder on your desktop, and place a copy of the truck .POD within it.

Double-click on the .POD file you've placed in the empty folder, and PodView will automatically start-up, open a window and display all of the truck files contained within the .POD file.

Select the EDIT menu and click on SELECT ALL to choose all of the files. Podview will highlight them.

Now select the FILE menu, click EXTRACT SELECTED FILES, make sure the RECREATE DIRECTORY STRUCTURE box is checked, and then click OK. Podview will proceed to extract all of the selected files to the selected directory.

--> If you do not enter a directory address and leave the address window blank, then PodView will extract all of the .POD's files you've selected into the same folder the .POD file is sitting in.

If you do this correctly, then the files within the .POD will be extracted to the new folder you created on your desktop. Within that folder will be found three new folders labeled TRUCK, MODELS and ART.

The vehicle's .TRK file is extracted to the TRUCK folder, computer models of the truck and tires in .SMF and/or .BIN format are placed in the MODELS folder, and all of the paint files (in .TIF, .RAW or .ACT format) are placed in the folder titled ART.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by BigDOGGe

--more to come later--time to go to work.

FEEL FREE TO ADD INFO AND LINKS TO THIS THREAD. ANYONE INTERESTED CAN ADD INFO THAT CAN BE COMPILED INTO A TUTORIAL(basically).

Let's please keep this for information only, not smart aleck remarks...If you have something useful, THANK YOU, if not, please post it somewhere else.

Edited by - [RCG]John on Nov 07 2006 06:23:05 AM

Edited by - [RCG]John on Nov 19 2006 12:29:45 PM

BigDOGGe
Administrator

USA
16540 Posts
Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  9:57:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I edited your PodView tutorial a bit to update some information and add a few pictures.

--> Click HERE for my EVO2 truck selection Go to Top of Page

XJAbuzer
Abuzed Customz

USA
4274 Posts
Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  11:53:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
If you need help getting started in Z-Modeler, look in the Z-modeler help files. They tell you everything you need to know about how to use the program. You will need a lot of time, patience, and determination.

Here is a few good topics to reference to...
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Painting with Layer Masks - A Tutorial: by Visionhawk

http://vales.com/evo2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4877

How to create .bump_tifs in Adobe Photoshop 7.0: by Shroom

http://vales.com/evo2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7921

Making Custom Dirt Files w/ Photoshop and PSP by Stuck Throttle

http://vales.com/evo2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=391

Z-Modeler Mapping Tutorial: by Dustbuster

http://vales.com/evo2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15696

Clear Window Tutorial with Z-Modeler: by Psycho_Auzzy

http://vales.com/evo2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15596

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Normals Tutorial for Z-Modeler: by XJ~Abuzer

http://vales.com/evo2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15509

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Making a clean bend - Scroll down for BigDOGGe's excellent explainantion.

http://vales.com/evo2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19039

I only wish KC had stickies here.

"Very Funny Scotty . . . . Now beam down my clothes"
-Click HERE for my rigs

Edited by - XJAbuzer on Dec 23 2009 8:39:33 PM

Edited by - XJAbuzer on Nov 04 2011 9:51:26 PM Go to Top of Page

[RCG]John

USA
289 Posts
Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  5:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit [RCG]John's Homepage  Send [RCG]John a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
In the works...taking longer than expected due to children

When you're driving a Buick, Everything else is just a Blur. Go to Top of Page

PiZZABOX6

Macao
240 Posts
Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  8:53:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit PiZZABOX6's Homepage  Send PiZZABOX6 an ICQ Message  Send PiZZABOX6 a Yahoo! Message  Send PiZZABOX6 an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Hey KC you can you set it so this topic stays at the top of the list always, otherwise It'll sink to the bottom. That way nobody will keep asking about how to make trucks.

mmmm.... pizza! Go to Top of Page

Tenderpaws
vales.com monger

USA
3377 Posts
Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  10:13:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
here is the best tut of them all

step one click

---
step 2 follow directions

and enjoy

Edited by - tenderpaws on Nov 07 2006 10:15:30 PM Go to Top of Page

Toyota_Boy
Toyota CustomZ

USA
1161 Posts
Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  07:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Toyota_Boy's Homepage  Send Toyota_Boy an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
LOL TP...

Hey Nice tut John... I have thought about making a complete tutorial on how to make a basic truck. I will make it easy to understand. If i ever get time i will make it and post it in here.

Old Toyota's Never Die. They just get Rebuilt. Go to Top of Page

KC
part-time raconteur

11754 Posts
Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  08:01:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit KC's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
quote:

Hey KC you can you set it so this topic stays at the top of the list always, otherwise It'll sink to the bottom.
I don't have the "sticky topics" patch on this forum, and as much as I have modified all of the forum code it would really be a huge hassle to try and add it now.

What I'll do is add a link from the =VEHICLES= HELP! page called "How do I make a truck?" to this topic.

One other GREAT SOURCE OF INFO is the Evo FAQ page linked at the top of my Links Page.

It is based on Evo 1 but still relevant for 95% of evo2.
It goes into deatil on many advanced things like making a vehicle from scratch with Zmodeler, how to make your vehicle a .pod, how to make objects for a track, etc.

thought he was wrong once, turns out he was mistaken. Go to Top of Page

BashawBrothers
Gadget & Blaster

USA
1454 Posts
Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  09:42:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit BashawBrothers's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Excellent! We've suggested something like this a few times. Maybe this will cut down on all the truck making help threads. Great work, John!

"When all else fails, look at the instruction manual." - G&B Go to Top of Page

[RCG]John

USA
289 Posts
Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  7:35:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit [RCG]John's Homepage  Send [RCG]John a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Umm..gotta figure out how to upload so ppl can download on a geo site....lol. But tut can be veiwed here for now. I forgot I already had a blank site. lol. Meh, made a new one....other one got deleted...oops.

http://www.geocities.com/x_motorsports/Trucktutorial.txt

The info that I used was originally from King Dave's Tutorial here

http://members.cox.net/evohelp/

I just added a few things, and updated it for EVO2.

Edited by - [RCG]John on Nov 13 2006 08:01:16 AM Go to Top of Page

XJAbuzer
Abuzed Customz

USA
4274 Posts
Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  10:04:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Good work, John.

It would be a little more user friendly to the forums if we could copy all that to notepad and have a link to download it. I have a place to host it if you don't.

-Click HERE for my rigs Go to Top of Page

Tenderpaws
vales.com monger

USA
3377 Posts
Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  11:58:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
holy cow john u made my middle finger tired from scrolling

Go to Top of Page

[RCG]John

USA
289 Posts
Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  08:34:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit [RCG]John's Homepage  Send [RCG]John a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
thanks. I'm gonna try to get a geo site up this weekend, hopefully. I can host there...along with whatever other evo stuff we can find....wish I could get the FAQ to work on my PC :(

EDIT: LINK ADDED!

quote:

Good work, John.

It would be a little more user friendly to the forums if we could copy all that to notepad and have a link to download it. I have a place to host it if you don't.

-Click HERE for my rigs

When you're driving a Buick, Everything else is just a Blur.

Edited by - [RCG]John on Nov 10 2006 09:31:04 AM Go to Top of Page

[RCG]John

USA
289 Posts
Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  09:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit [RCG]John's Homepage  Send [RCG]John a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
quote:

holy cow john u made my middle finger tired from scrolling

lol....noone said a tut was short ;) Hopefully people will be able to use them. :D

volvo
Swiss Mac lover

Switzerland
755 Posts
Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  11:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
That is very helpful, good job.

When in doubt, get a Mac Go to Top of Page

[RCG]John

USA
289 Posts
Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  07:59:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit [RCG]John's Homepage  Send [RCG]John a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
OK...NOW FOR PAINT!!

This is how I do it(since I copy and paste alot, and PSP7 is goofy when it comes to that):

Once you've extracted all files related to the truck you are modding(we will use my HARLEY again), you will notice quite a few ART files(.TIF).

In this example, we have(with what they are for)

1.HARLEY.TIF(main art file/paintjob on truck)
2.HARLEY0.TIF(low detail art file/paintjob on truck--what it looks like far away)
3.HARLEY_BUMP.TIF(main reflections--in this example; generic.)
4.HARLEY0_BUMP.TIF(low detail reflections--in this example;generic)
5.HARLEY_D.TIF(mud file--where mud/dust/snow collects on the truck.)
and not needed is
6.HARLEY0_D.TIF.(low detail mud file, but we'll leave it out.)

OK, what I do is this:

First, I rename ALL files associated with the truck I'm painting, that way when I test it in game, I can see if it's correct.

Second, I open up the .smf files(located in the MODELS folder)with WORDPAD and use replace all the change the stock truck name to the new name.

EXAMPLE:

BEFORE
C3DModel
Body
v1
1,1,64,0,1,ARBMonster.TIF
"ARBMonster_bump.TIF"

AFTER
C3DModel
Body
v1
1,1,64,0,1,HARLEY.TIF
"HARLEY_BUMP.TIF"

AND
BEFORE
C3DModel
BodyL
v1
1,1,64,0,1,ARBMonster0.TIF
"ARBMonster0_bump.TIF"

AFTER
C3DModel
Body
v1
1,1,64,0,1,HARLEY0.TIF
"HARLEY0_BUMP.TIF"

Third, I change the truckModelBASEname in the .TRK file, so it knows to look for the correct files in the game(otherwise your paint won't show up, and it'll just look like the stock truck.) ALSO, change the truck name and model in the .TRK file, so you know for sure which one you just painted.

truckName
Ford F-350 Super Duty Harley Davidson Edition
truckMake
Infiniti
truckModel
FORD F-350SD Harley Davidson Edition
truckModelBaseName
HARLEY

Ok, now you're ready to paint the truck....

I open up the main art file for the truck with PSP7. Then I also open up paint.
Increase amount of colors used to 16million(in PSP7).
Click Select All>Copy.
Then go over to paint, and Paste it. Now, I do my painting. *REMEMBER, if the truck doesn't show a LEFT and a RIGHT side in the .TIF; text and images will show up BACKWARDS on the RIGHT side(usually the right side). When I'm done painting, or just want to look at the truck in the game;
I click EDIT>SELECT ALL, go over to PaintShopPro 7,
left click on the image(to make sure it's still active.)
click on EDIT>PASTE>INTO SELECTION.
DECREASE colors to 256(click on COLORS>DECREASE COLORS>256~>OK
then SAVE it.
Start game, and see how it looks!

*NOTE* Not everyone does it this way, most may use photoshop, or just use PSP# instead of all the copy and pasting, but IMO, paint is alot easier(as far as copy and paste graphics go).

Hope this helps....

[RCG]Balthazar
Administrator

Norway
2210 Posts
Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  1:20:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit [RCG]Balthazar's Homepage  Send [RCG]Balthazar a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
You cant get our FAQ to work on your pc?
Try this direct menu link:
http://www.4x4evo.net/faq/menu.cgi

[RCG]Balthazar™ This game keeps getting better every day Go to Top of Page

[RCG]John

USA
289 Posts
Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  3:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit [RCG]John's Homepage  Send [RCG]John a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Ahhh..it works now. lol.

KickFlip360
Test Driver

USA
1307 Posts
Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  4:59:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit KickFlip360's Homepage  Send KickFlip360 an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Hey John, how do you get the IMO paint or some other paint shop thing? If you could give me a link or something...

Edited by - shadow109 on Nov 17 2006 5:01:09 PM Go to Top of Page

[RCG]John

USA
289 Posts
Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  5:46:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit [RCG]John's Homepage  Send [RCG]John a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
http://www.5star-shareware.com/Windows/Graphics/Image-Editors/psp7-download.html

is where I got mine at. Another non-ending trial. ;)

BigDOGGe
Administrator

USA
16540 Posts
Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  6:40:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
quote:
This download is the free trial version of Paint Shop Pro with Animation Shop, if you enjoy the program and would like to get the full unlimited version.....

What are the limitations of the trial version? What features are disabled?

--> Click HERE for my EVO2 truck selection Go to Top of Page

[RCG]John

USA
289 Posts
Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  7:07:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit [RCG]John's Homepage  Send [RCG]John a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
quote:

quote:
This download is the free trial version of Paint Shop Pro with Animation Shop, if you enjoy the program and would like to get the full unlimited version.....

What are the limitations of the trial version? What features are disabled?

--> Click HERE for my EVO2 truck selection

Far as I can tell, none. I'm not a huge fan(lol) but it serves the purposes I need it for. I used to use photochop, til it expired. Had this psp for some time now with no problems.The animation shop even lets you make .gif's and you can make a photo slideshow with it.

When you're driving a Buick, Everything else is just a Blur.

Edited by - [RCG]John on Nov 17 2006 7:09:12 PM Go to Top of Page

RebelsHaven

117 Posts
Posted - Nov 24 2006 :  5:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
ok that helped me
thanks but i have one question,
how do you put all those files into a pod so i can test it in the game?

Go to Top of Page

~M.O.B~Warrior
Native Customs

USA
1247 Posts
Posted - Nov 24 2006 :  6:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~M.O.B~Warrior's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
All my old Evo1 stuff including how to use PodTool .

Native Customs
Go to Top of Page

Toyota_Boy
Toyota CustomZ

USA
1161 Posts
Posted - Nov 24 2006 :  6:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Toyota_Boy's Homepage  Send Toyota_Boy an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Putting a Truck in .POD format
by,
Toyota_Boy

Okay guys as far as i no of the best program to use for this is PodTool.
You can get it at www.4x4WH.com. You must register to download.

Okay now for the Tutorial.

Okay to get started you need to have all of your truck files in a folder.

In the folder you should have 3 other folders that are named like this.
Models
Truck
Art

You should have all you .Tif files in the Art folder
All your .SMF files in your Models folder
and of course your .TRK file in the Truck Folder

Now you need to open up PODTOOL.
When it opens you need to click NEW
Now you must find your truck folder.

When you find your truck folder open it up
and you should see 3 folders named
Models
Truck
Art

HighLight them folders and drag them over to the Right side
of PODTOOL. they should be under the TAB named FILENAME

Now you need to click OK

Now you need to click SAVE

In the blank called FileName you need to name you truck.POD
Example
Toyota.POD

Now click Save

Now all you have to do is put it in game.

Hope this helps people out.

Edited by - Toyota_Boy on Nov 24 2006 7:02:39 PM Go to Top of Page

RebelsHaven

117 Posts
Posted - Nov 24 2006 :  7:39:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
thank you so much Toyota_Boy and [RCG]John and any one i left out.
i used a stock truck that was in the game, and changed the tire and rim paint.

Go to Top of Page

Toyota_Boy
Toyota CustomZ

USA
1161 Posts
Posted - Nov 24 2006 :  7:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Toyota_Boy's Homepage  Send Toyota_Boy an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Just glad i could help bro. Need anymore help just post it here and one of use will help ya. that goes for every one else also.

Old Toyota's Dont Die.
People just rebuild them.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. X
Test Driver

USA
1270 Posts
Posted - Nov 24 2006 :  7:44:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Dr. X an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I decided to upload PodTool to some space that I have, so people don't have to register in order to download the program.

I hope this helps.

of Team NKA® Go to Top of Page

KickFlip360
Test Driver

USA
1307 Posts
Posted - Nov 24 2006 :  7:52:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit KickFlip360's Homepage  Send KickFlip360 an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Thx Dr.X for the PodTool, do I put it in my 4x4 Evo 2 folder?

Go to Top of Page

Toyota_Boy
Toyota CustomZ

USA
1161 Posts
Posted - Nov 24 2006 :  8:31:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Toyota_Boy's Homepage  Send Toyota_Boy an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
You can put PodTool in a seperate folder were ever you would like it to be. It doesn't run off evo. So just put it were you will not forget it.

Old Toyota's Dont Die.
People just rebuild them.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. X
Test Driver

USA
1270 Posts
Posted - Nov 24 2006 :  8:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Dr. X an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I'm glad I could help, shadow109.

I don't think it matters where you put it.

of Team NKA® Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic FOR BEGINNERS! (READ HERE ABOUT MAKING TRUCKS)!!!!  Next PageNext Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

KC's Evo2 Place

© KC Vale

Go To Top Of Page