Q&A  -  
HELP!
=VEHICLES=
Download
  Reviews
    Upload
  Q&A  -  
HELP!
KC's Store   Tracks: FREE - RCG - Random - Models UP - Down   Vehicles: FREE - Random - Search/Sort Turbo
   10/22/2017   9:24:45 PM     
  CHAT  Nobody in Chat

REGISTER or enter your Username &
Password:
and
Save Password

Forgot your Password?

Forums Page
 KC's Evo 2 Place Announcements
 Forum Picture Uploads - DO IT RIGHT!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Forum Picture Uploads - DO IT RIGHT! Next Topic  
KC
part-time raconteur

11741 Posts
Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  10:44:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit KC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For some reason there has been a rash of people uploading Bitmap images when that is clearly not allowed, and for good reason.

What is the Bitmap (.bmp) Picture Image Format?

It is an old outdated picture format that makes 10 to 15 times larger file sizes to save the same picture than the Jpeg (.jpg) picture format needs to save the exact same picture file.
Don't use them here.

How do I make a .jpg picture file?
For you Mac guys, the extent of the help I can give you is your Mac Forum.
You guys work it out because I just can't help you.

PC guys, no excuse!

If you don't have a Real Paint Program, get the free non-expiring demo of Paint Shop Pro 4.12 and install it.
I have been using it for all my paint program needs for years.

Since most every screenshot you want to display in a post here involves in-game shots, here is how you do it properly:

1. Start PSP and minimize it to the start bar.
2. Start Evo and do your thing.

3. When you see that perfect shot you want to save, hit your Print Screen key.
This will copy an image of your current screen onto the Windows Clipboard.
Every time you hit Print Screen, it will overwrite the previous image to the Clipboard.

4. When you think you have the Perfect Shot on the Clipboard, press ALT-TAB. This will pause Evo and give you a box to "Switch Programs", click the Paint Shop Pro icon on it.
PSP will then open.

5. After you click the "Continue Demo" button and PSP is up, simply press CTRL-V to paste you clipboard contents in as a new image.

6. From there it's easy, use the Selection tool to select the portion of the entire screenshot you want to use, press CTRL-C (for copy) and then CTRL-V (for paste) and you have a new image of your cutout.

Click the IMAGE menu link and select RESAMPLE.
Set the checkbox for "maintain aspect ratio" on, and put 640 in the first size box (width) and hit tab (so it changes the height properly itself in the next box).

7. You now have a 640 pixel wide image. Click FILE/Save As and in the Format selection, select the ".JPG - .JPEG JIFF Compliant" file format option, give the image a name, and save it.

That is it!

Once you do it a couple of times you will find it mindlessly easy to do.

Didn't get the shot you wanted?

ALT-TAB (or click from the start bar) EVO2 again, and the game will come right back up and you can do it again.

There is no limit that I know of for how many pictures you can have open in PSP so you can do this again and again until you get that killer shot, cut it out, resample and save it.

thought he was wrong once, turns out he was mistaken.

KC
part-time raconteur

11741 Posts
Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  1:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit KC's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I don't know why I didn't put this is in a long time ago, maybe I just figured people were smart enough to not UL gigantic .bmp images, but anyway, they won't be saved now.

I spend the better part of today going through my server directory for hosted forum picture files for this site and must have deleted a hundred totaling close to 10GB in size combined.

In .jpg format those same pics combined would have been under 10MB.

MAJOR WARNING ABOUT FILE TYPES
If you think just changing .bmp to .jpg in the file name is going to help you will get one heck of a wakeup call.

No acceptable image for forum display should be over 500K, most are a tenth of that size for a full 640 pixel wide image and 500K is to allow for animated .gif picture files.

I'll see it, and you will be locked and server banned if you even try from now on.
There is NO EXCUSE for ANYONE using megabytes of my servers hard drives and bandwidth because they can't format a picture.
Learn it, or DON'T UP THEM!.

thought he was wrong once, turns out he was mistaken. Go to Top of Page

KC
part-time raconteur

11741 Posts
Posted - Mar 25 2007 :  07:10:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit KC's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Once you have your 640 pixel wide or less picture, you can upload it here and display it in the forums by clicking the Upload Button on the Format line in the screen you make posts from.

You get a simple copy/paste forum code line to display it.

One Note:
Sometimes a picture simply must be over 640 pixels wide to get the details or because it is meant as a desktop background, etc.
You can upload these pics, you can't display them in a post.
Simply remove the begining (img) and ending (/img) tags from the http:// line.
That will leave a clickable link for others to click and see your image in a new browser window.

It's all how you look at things Go to Top of Page

motoman_dd

Canada
519 Posts
Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  09:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
yeah but i cant get it smaller...

Team Gamma Pres recruiting
Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator

USA
16529 Posts
Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  11:24:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Sig images cannot be larger than 200 pixels wide by 50 tall. Do not put any up (pictures or sig images) until you do learn how to reduce their size.

I've already removed your oversized sig image once, now twice. if you put an oversized sig up a third time, your membership here will be cancelled.

Click here for BigDOGGe's custom trucks Go to Top of Page

OOPS;-)
Track Creator

Netherlands
3143 Posts
Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  12:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit OOPS;-)'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
quote:

Yes you can if you just download the program KC linked so kindly...

Asuming you are a PC user...

Edited by - OOPS;-) on Apr 07 2007 12:06:54 PM Go to Top of Page

KC
part-time raconteur

11741 Posts
Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  4:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit KC's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
quote:

As mentioned, yes you can, and if you can't even do that you probly can't make it a .jpg either so hey, simple, don't upload any pictures.

Do it right or don't do it at all.
There are a few reasons for this rule.
The bottom line goal is the same, an easy to read fast web site.

Thecamarodude

USA
636 Posts
Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  4:42:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thecamarodude's Homepage  Send Thecamarodude an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I strongly reccomend Irfanview. You can do some great screenshots with it!! It's also easy to use too.

I am WRS~VP~Suburban! (on evo 2 online) I am also Officer James on evo 2 online Go to Top of Page

crash_245

USA
250 Posts
Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  07:28:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit crash_245's Homepage  Send crash_245 an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
yeah, i have irfanview too, and it's really helpful in resizing stuff cause it has a resize function right in there. here's a link
click here to dl irfanview 4.0

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes. Go to Top of Page

Sideline-Sadie
KC's Favorite Cousin

USA
880 Posts
Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  11:16:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Sideline-Sadie a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
what about .gif files??
If that question is already answered in this discussion, just point to the place -- laziness!! yes KC, that's me, not just at home , I've scanned through this, but didn't read carefully.
Is it ok to upload .gif files? If not, how do you change them to something else? No lectures please guys: Sideline-Sadie --> blonde hehehe!!!

Go to Top of Page

KC
part-time raconteur

11741 Posts
Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  1:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit KC's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
.gif files are fine.
They are usually only used for animated images or small icon pics because they only support 256 colors, but still way smaller than .bmp files, just not as small and colorful as .jpg images.

To convert an image to a different format you need a paint program.
I like Paint Shop pro 4.12, you can resize an image, cut, paste, and save in a different format.

It's all I use except when I make an animated .gif

motoman_dd

Canada
519 Posts
Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  11:51:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
can we use .png?

(oversize sig imiage deleted - 200x50 pixels maximum) haha imiage... Go to Top of Page

KC
part-time raconteur

11741 Posts
Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  1:48:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit KC's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
quote:
can we use .png?

Why? .png files are almost as big as Bitmap files!

Here is the same 557x327 image file saved in all 4 formats.

Just save your images as .jpg's if you want to UL them here for display in posts unless of course it's an animated .gif please.

Previous Topic Forum Picture Uploads - DO IT RIGHT! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

KC's Evo2 Place

KC Vale

Go To Top Of Page