Q&A  -  
HELP!
=VEHICLES=
Download
  Reviews
    Upload
  Q&A  -  
HELP!
KC's Store   Tracks: FREE - RCG - Random - Models UP - Down   Vehicles: FREE - Random - Search/Sort Turbo
   10/20/2017   8:14:15 PM     
  CHAT  Nobody in Chat

REGISTER or enter your Username &
Password:
and
Save Password

Forgot your Password?

Forums Page
 Truck Making Q&A
 Making a clean bend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Making a clean bend Next Topic  
KickFlip360
Test Driver

USA
1307 Posts
Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  6:31:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit KickFlip360's Homepage  Send KickFlip360 an instant message  Reply with Quote
I've searched this and of the 8 or so topics on it, none of them I found a good way to make a clean bend of a tube/cylinder.
I would like to know what you guys with more experience do to get your clean bends.

One other thing. I read that if you unite the verts on some touching surface weather it be a tube or whatever it may be, it connects them in a way that you get a clean, smooth surface (or it sorta fills in the cracks or creases). When I try to connect verts, I get an error saying that Z-modeler has to shut down. If that happens, then I can't even save what I did and it all disappears.

Its not the fall that hurts you...its the sudden stop at the bottom.

XJAbuzer
Abuzed Customz

USA
4274 Posts
Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  8:17:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Well, as far as your errors go, just import your .smf file as usual and then save it as a z3d file. When you are working with an imported .smf, z-mod gets finicky. You are doing things right as far as uniting...just do it with a .z3d file rather than a .smf. I only work with z3d files until it is time to put the truck in game...then it gets exported as a .smf. I used to get errors all the time until I started doing it this way.

Now as far as a clean bend goes, I just use my eyeballs to get a clean bend. Just continue rotating each section of verts till it looks right.

-Abuzed Rigs Go to Top of Page

Chevy
Paintballer

Canada
1326 Posts
Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  8:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Chevy an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
just go Modify>Extend>Bend and line the edge of the cylinder you made with that lil X on the screen.

Heres a pic: Just use more Segments like around 9 or so to get a nice clean curve.

Go to Top of Page

XJAbuzer
Abuzed Customz

USA
4274 Posts
Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  9:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
quote:

just go Modify>Extend>Bend and line the edge of the cylinder you made with that lil X on the screen.

Heres a pic: Just use more Segments like around 9 or so to get a nice clean curve.

Edited by - Chevy on Aug 14 2007 8:54:28 PM

Thanks...lol...and here I have been doing it the hard way. I must say I came up with some pretty decent bends considering I was eyeballing it.

Chevy
Paintballer

Canada
1326 Posts
Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  10:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Chevy an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Heh, no one ever told you that way before?

Go to Top of Page

XJAbuzer
Abuzed Customz

USA
4274 Posts
Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  11:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Nope. I learned most of what I know about Zmod on my own with the help of tutorials here and there.

lime
The Vault Master

USA
2270 Posts
Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  11:22:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit lime's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
quote:
I must say I came up with some pretty decent bends considering I was eyeballing it.

i know that what i do like on my ranger zarlin still working on all this tubing here was by eyeballing

i feel like running into something (5 secs later) you see a 70 story buildin down oops (then see a puff of smoke out of here) and screams it wasn't me...... Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator

USA
16529 Posts
Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  01:10:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
quote:

Nope. I learned most of what I know about Zmod on my own with the help of tutorials here and there.

Same here. I too have been rotating the sections one at a time. Well, I'll be damned.

That will certainly save a lot of labor. Now I understand how some of you can make a tube structure in such a short period. That tool will come in very handy. Thanks.

Click here for BigDOGGe's custom trucks Go to Top of Page

landlubber
Test Driver

USA
1349 Posts
Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  09:29:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit landlubber's Homepage  Send landlubber an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
tube bending has always been easy for me. and the only tutorial i looked at was for mapping. that was fun.

Click here for my custom trucks Go to Top of Page

Chevy
Paintballer

Canada
1326 Posts
Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  9:59:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Chevy an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Np, I forgot who told me that way of bending tubes, but it does save a lot of time. Even tho I haven't built anything for so many years heh.

Go to Top of Page

KickFlip360
Test Driver

USA
1307 Posts
Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  8:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit KickFlip360's Homepage  Send KickFlip360 an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Ooooh, I forgot about this topic, lol.
Eyeballing it is what I usually do to. It just occured to me though to zoom WAY up on it to make it precise.

But I forgot one tiny detail: Is there a way to CONTROL your bends?
I just do Modify>Extend>Bend and hope it turns out how I want and then do the eyeballing business.

Control in my main idea now.

Its not the fall that hurts you...its the sudden stop at the bottom. Go to Top of Page

Chevy
Paintballer

Canada
1326 Posts
Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  6:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Chevy an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
just don't let god of then mouse button when you bend it, if you think its to sharp just move it backa tad till you have it right then let go of the mouse button.

Go to Top of Page

Tenderpaws
vales.com monger

USA
3377 Posts
Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  7:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
hmm iv been doing it the old school way i guess. Iv done it so many times i can get a clean bend every time.

Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator

USA
16529 Posts
Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  6:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
UPDATE:

I've never used the "Modify>Extend>Bend" technique after learning this method, as I can't control the curves sufficently to satisfy me.

SO, I still prefer to set my pivot point, select vertices and then bend my tubes manually using "Modify>Rotate", one section at a time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
For those who don't know the manual method, here it is in a nutshell:

Place the pivot point where you want it(the mouse and period key do that), select the vertices you want to move using the square or round lasso, then rotate it 5/10/15 degrees or whatever, then select the next pivot point, select the next set of verts, then rotate again. REpeat as necessary.

Note that the quality of the curve depends on the author. It takes a little time to get really smooth curves, but even my first ones were acceptable. Just practice...

TIP: I texture-map my tubes BEFORE bending them, so any visible texture patterns (like metallic finishes or seams) curve with the tube.

And now a step-by-step tutorial:

First, I make the tube using the cylinder shape maker. Give it as many segments as needed for a smooth bend, but not so many to make it vertex-heavy.

Make sure both lasso tools are OFF, else the shape maker will not work.

Click on a spot where you want the cylinder created (end view of the cyl will be shown), hold down the button and move the mouse to ajust the diameter of the object, then release.

After you release the button, Zmod will ask you how many panels make up the cylinder walls (Horizontal steps) and how many segments of joined end-to-end cylinders should there be (vertical steps). NOTE that 0 vertical steps = 1 cylinder, 1 = 2 joined cylinders, etc.

Enter the data, and your cylinder model should appear like so...

OK, now I have a cylinder model (tube with capped ends), but it's quite short by default.

I want to stretch the tube horizontally via a side view to make it longer, so first I make sure only the Horizontal Axis (H) button is depressed...

...select the OBJECT button, set the SELECT tool to ALL if it's the only item on the screen or SINGLE if there are multiple objects, and then right-click on the cylinder to select it.

Stretch the tube out to a workable length...

Now to make your first bend. FIRST, make sure both Horizontal (H) and Vertical (V) axis buttons are activated...

...and then set your rotation pivot point like so...

-> Click here for BigDOGGe's SANTA'S SLEIGH Ford F-150

Go to Top of Page

M@S@

Finland
265 Posts
Posted - Dec 23 2009 :  6:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Getting inspired by this topic, I decided to create a little video tutorial of the same thing in Blender. "Building a tube frame truck in blender." Very simple video, and it only shows one method to do the thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGAPgVw3hYI

The keylogger still couldn't get all key's, even I tried to do slow enough. I probably need to find another tool for that.

Sorry for off topic, if this was supposed to be a ZM only discussion, I can create own topic for this if it bothers someone.

Edited by - m@s@ on Dec 23 2009 6:32:38 PM Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator

USA
16529 Posts
Posted - Dec 23 2009 :  6:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
It's a "tube" bending thread. Your post is on-topic.

-> Click here for BigDOGGe's SANTA'S SLEIGH Ford F-150 Go to Top of Page

XJAbuzer
Abuzed Customz

USA
4274 Posts
Posted - Dec 23 2009 :  8:41:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Nice work! I updated the beginners topic (my first post on the first page) to include this topic.

http://vales.com/evo2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17598&whichpage=1&ARCHIVE=

-Abuzed Rigs Born to wheel, forced to work. Go to Top of Page

oldcancer

Canada
67 Posts
Posted - May 15 2010 :  7:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
there's a cylinder tool? i made my tube frame using the z-splines tool, but then again, there's also no bends in it, but now that i know about that tool, my next tube frame will be much better

Go to Top of Page

Gasman

294 Posts
Posted - May 15 2010 :  7:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
On the left side of the upper control panel there are some blue shapes, a cube, a sphere, a cylinder, a cone, a torus(doughnut), and a tube. If you deselect everything else and click on one of these icons you can then go into one of the wireframe views and use the cursor to draw a circle that determines the overall size of your shape. Once that is done a window will appear that allows you the set the properties of the shape like how many rows high and wide it is depending on the shape you are making. Some people better with Zmod will explain better, I do everything in Binedit even though its terribly slow.

Go to Top of Page

oldcancer

Canada
67 Posts
Posted - May 15 2010 :  8:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
interesting, that'll probably improve my work by alot, my first and only z-mod part is in truck projects 12 if you feel like taking a look, my next few parts will be much better quality now that i know about this though

Go to Top of Page

Gasman

294 Posts
Posted - May 15 2010 :  9:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I saw your frame, its better than what I can do in Zmod.

Go to Top of Page

oldcancer

Canada
67 Posts
Posted - May 16 2010 :  01:05:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
thanks man, that's a huge confidence boost, i'm really pumped to have my truck finished, all i have yet to do is a couple more tweaks here and there in z-mod and then start learning how to texture it, LOL

Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator

USA
16529 Posts
Posted - May 16 2010 :  09:01:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I added a few steps and images to help clarify the tutorial a bit better. Glad it came in handy.

-->Click HERE for the BEST MONSTER TRUCKs IN EVO2... Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Making a clean bend Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

KC's Evo2 Place

KC Vale

Go To Top Of Page