Q&A  -  
HELP!
=VEHICLES=
Download
  Reviews
    Upload
  Q&A  -  
HELP!
KC's Store   Tracks: FREE - RCG - Random - Models UP - Down   Vehicles: FREE - Random - Search/Sort Turbo
   10/21/2017   1:24:43 AM     
  CHAT  Nobody in Chat

REGISTER or enter your Username &
Password:
and
Save Password

Forgot your Password?

Forums Page
 Tailgate Party
 Hard Drive Future: SSD
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Hard Drive Future: SSD Next Topic  
code_m

USA
544 Posts
Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  6:52:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit code_m's Homepage  Send code_m a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
SSD=Solid State Drive.

Let's face it... Disk Hard Drives are becoming dinosars!

We have known since the 80s or so that SSD's would come about, and this year, it has the potential to takeover Hard Drives in most PC... and Macs!

Mac has already implamented a SSD in the new AirBook, for a price of 3 Thousand! The price of the drive (64 GB) alone is on the market of $1000...! Prices are expected to fall, SSD memory sizes are going to increase like crazy.

SSD are expected to fall in the Mid-Terabyte range.

A nice write up: solid state disks (SSD) market news

The future Is here!

over and out ccceerrkkk! C.A.T.

BigDOGGe
Administrator

USA
16529 Posts
Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  8:52:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
You struck upon the ongoing problem with solid-state drives, "ram drives" or "flash drives".

The problem is that the cost per megabyte/gigabyte is much higher than that of magnetic hard drives, and the latter's cost keeps coming down faster than the memory chips do.

I saw solid state drives way back in the early 80's for Apple II PCs, but they were too expensive back then too.

-->Click HERE for the BEST MONSTER TRUCKs IN EVO2... Go to Top of Page

~M.O.B~Jeepy84
Test Driver

USA
3268 Posts
Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  9:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Send ~M.O.B~Jeepy84 an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
The only benefit to SSD that I know of is use in laptops used in work situations where the computer can be expected to be subjected to harsh climates or excessive bouncing/impacts.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots of the world." -Calvin Go to Top of Page

Woody
Administrator

USA
1860 Posts
Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  9:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I cans see having both type of drives in a system. The solid state for the OS and apps since they are faster and good old magnetic drives for data and backup since they are cheaper per byte.

You need only two tools. WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.
Go to Top of Page

[RCG]Balthazar
Administrator

Norway
2210 Posts
Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  04:16:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit [RCG]Balthazar's Homepage  Send [RCG]Balthazar a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I can see Woody's point.
If I were to buy a laptop or something happened to the one I have in my car I'd have this setup:
64Gb SSD for OS, installed programs and storage of documents.
Then I'd continue to use 2,5" USB for file storage like I do today
for movies created at work.

Other situations I can think of is places where noise is important due to the 0db nature of SSD.

[RCG]Balthazar™ This game keeps getting better every day Go to Top of Page

~M.O.B~Jeepy84
Test Driver

USA
3268 Posts
Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  08:36:53 AM  Show Profile  Send ~M.O.B~Jeepy84 an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Thats an excellent idea too, I noticed some companies are letting you build laptops with that kind of setup and couldn't figure out why.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots of the world." -Calvin Go to Top of Page

KC
part-time raconteur

11741 Posts
Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  09:25:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit KC's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
quote:

I cans see having both type of drives in a system. The solid state for the OS and apps since they are faster and good old magnetic drives for data and backup since they are cheaper per byte.
My thoughts exactly.
And 64GB is more than enough for your boot drive if you put all your data on another drive.

If it were not for all the different hardware configurations you could walk up to any PC and pop in your boot drive and go to work.

You can have multiple hardware configurations on windows, that would be extreamly handy for business.
You could check out you boot drive when you come in, pop it any machine you want, do your thing, then check it back in when you leave.
At the end of the day, they just put all the boot drives in the safe.

Take it step further and have no HD's in the PC's, you would just connect to a central secured data server when you booted up, even at home via internet VPN.

Very handy when there is problem too.
Hardware or Software?
Easy to tell, just pop in your backup boot chip and see.
If it still fails, try it on another box.
If it still fails, then add it as a second (not boot) drive to another machine and then fix the software problem, otherwise fix or replace just your box.

Use another box until yours is fixed, and when you get your box back plug it in and go as usual.

This might be handy for homes with multiple PC too.
There is always one "best machine" in the house.
It has the most memory, best video, etc.

You can pop your boot in and use it with no chance of messing up anyone elses boot machine.
Take it with you when you leave and your PC is always in your pocket.

Data transfer speeds are pretty close between sata2 and USB2.
SATA2 is 300MB/s and USB2 is 490MB/s, but it's the seek time factor HD's suffer from.

HD's have to move the disc heads to the starting data segment point and then each subsequent data segment track, then wait for the disc to spin around to that point.
That is why faster spining drives like the 10,000 RPM 72GB Raptor HD I use for boot is about as fast as you get for sata2 boot drives.

That is also why a good defrag and pack (moving all your file segments end to end) util speeds your HD based system up so much, it cuts down on the seek time.

Chip drives have 0 seek time all the time.
Speed is only limited by memory speed and the pipe that connects it to the motherboard.

Even USB speed would be an improvement, but if you could tap even your usually unused PCIe x1 slot that is 500MB/s, an 8x slot is 4GB/s, and a 16x is 8GB/s transfer speed!

We are talking zero seek memory speed on an 8GB pipe.
That my friends is about as close to "Instant on" we'll see this decade, maybe next too.

It's all how you look at things ©¿©¬ Go to Top of Page

code_m

USA
544 Posts
Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  6:55:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit code_m's Homepage  Send code_m a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Boy KC.... with your knowledge, maybe you should make your own hardware and Operating systems!

over and out ccceerrkkk! C.A.T. Go to Top of Page

KC
part-time raconteur

11741 Posts
Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  10:23:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit KC's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
quote:

Boy KC.... with your knowledge, maybe you should make your own hardware and Operating systems!

Operating systems? naw.
Hardware? For about 25 years now as Elite Computers.

It's all how you look at things ©¿©¬ Go to Top of Page

code_m

USA
544 Posts
Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  2:19:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit code_m's Homepage  Send code_m a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I don't mean assembly... I mean actually producing the hardware.

over and out ccceerrkkk! C.A.T. Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator

USA
16529 Posts
Posted - Apr 07 2017 :  6:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
UPDATE:

It's now 9 years later, and my PC has a 240GB drive that cost $99. Still have a 2TB conventional hard drive due to a 1TB SSD still being so costly ($250-$350).

CLICK HERE for BigDOGGe trucks Go to Top of Page

4x4EvolutionFan

USA
589 Posts
Posted - Apr 07 2017 :  6:48:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit 4x4EvolutionFan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
It's interesting how you renewed a nearly decade-old topic yourself.

My custom-built Windows 10 PC has an SSD and it has Windows 10 Home installed on it.

Go to Top of Page

[RCG]Balthazar
Administrator

Norway
2210 Posts
Posted - Apr 09 2017 :  01:30:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit [RCG]Balthazar's Homepage  Send [RCG]Balthazar a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I'm having a REALLY hard SSD time right now.
Just have a taste of the name:
Samsung 960 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD

These drives is supposed to use four PCIe lanes for å massive 32gbs
bandwith to serve the extreme performance levels provided.

I've got two monster computers just sitting here annoying me.
One is Asus based and the other has a MSI motherboard.
Neither lists the M.2 drives...

http://vales.com/elite/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1664

[RCG]Balthazar™ This game keeps getting better every day Go to Top of Page

crankshaft jay

45 Posts
Posted - Aug 18 2017 :  9:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit crankshaft jay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I'm trying to get sound on my evo2 game on windows 10 I wish I had windows xp back to me windows 10 or this intel Pentium is complicated
and 4x4evo 1 was working ok too

Go to Top of Page

4x4EvolutionFan

USA
589 Posts
Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  1:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit 4x4EvolutionFan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
What sound drivers do you have? The game's audio is working well on my Windows 10 Home PC.

Go to Top of Page

WheelSmoke
Bad Driver

USA
2740 Posts
Posted - Aug 19 2017 :  2:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Off topic but...

Like 4x4 said. Try changing the audio driver in the game options.

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Hard Drive Future: SSD Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

KC's Evo2 Place

© KC Vale

Go To Top Of Page