Q&A  -  
HELP!
=VEHICLES=
Download
  Reviews
    Upload
  Q&A  -  
HELP!
KC's Store   Tracks: FREE - RCG - Random - Models UP - Down   Vehicles: FREE - Random - Search/Sort Turbo
   12/12/2017   8:26:07 PM     
  CHAT  Nobody in Chat

REGISTER or enter your Username &
Password:
and
Save Password

Forgot your Password?

Forums Page
 Truck Making Q&A
 Fast & Furious Pack in Blender!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Fast & Furious Pack in Blender! Next Topic  
upretirementman
Test Driver

USA
2794 Posts
Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  10:21:17 PM  Show Profile  Send upretirementman an instant message  Reply with Quote
Yep, just so simple to do nowadays!
Just unpod the pod file with jPodViewer.jar utility.

Here is a screenshot:

for a close-up:
Fpics/20653_Fast&FuriousPack_Large.jpg.FP

Tires not imported at the same time.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, if you can figure that out!

Edited by - upretirementman on Sep 14 2009 10:31:35 PM

upretirementman
Test Driver

USA
2794 Posts
Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  11:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Send upretirementman an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I used Gimp to select all the green in two shades as well as the stripe on the side and change them to shades of blue with yellow stripe.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, if you can figure that out! Go to Top of Page

MudFox

USA
144 Posts
Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  03:26:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit MudFox's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
you should have something in blender..im not positive but should that adds a few more polys to them models and smooths them out..i have been messing with some of my old models and adding a smoothing modifier to them raises polys abit usually about 10-15k..but its worth it.i have tried blender..but couldnt figure out how to do anything good with it. but looks like u got farther than me at it haha

Go to Top of Page

upretirementman
Test Driver

USA
2794 Posts
Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  10:22:04 AM  Show Profile  Send upretirementman an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
But this is nothing, but importing the vehicle and texture image right from the unpodded Pod file. Normally if you have the texture image already in place before you import the .smf file, it will texture it for you automatically! Then all I did was middle mouse button down in 3D window and drag to spin the vehicle around.

"A" key to deselect. "Z" key to wireframe mode. "7" keypad for top view. "1" keypad for front view. "3" keypad for side view. "5" keypad for Perspective/Ortho views. "0" keypad for camera view. "/" keypad for hide all other parts. "tab" key for Edit Mode/Object Mode."alt p" to execute script.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, if you can figure that out! Go to Top of Page

boom50cal
Postcount Champion

USA
673 Posts
Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  6:49:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Whats the most powerful thing blender can do? Just wondering, I messed with it for about a month, started understanding it, then school came along. Then I started playing with Zmod, then played NFS:PS. So I forgot all about blender

There is nothing more sexy than a greasy woman working on a car!" - houstonbofh Go to Top of Page

M@S@

Finland
265 Posts
Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  04:40:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
quote:

Whats the most powerful thing blender can do? Just wondering, I messed with it for about a month, started understanding it, then school came along. Then I started playing with Zmod, then played NFS:PS. So I forgot all about blender

There is nothing more sexy than a greasy woman working on a car!" - houstonbofh

There is no one single answer for your question.

But it is very powerful tool, and has a lot of useful aids for 3D modeling. And it is not only 3D modeling tool. It also includes fantastic animation tools, scene editing tools (you can add 3D animation things on video and make them look real with different kinds of effects) and, with different kinds of renders you can do very nice artworks with it. It can be used for planning something you are about to build, or you can create nice graphics for your webpage with it, or for any other use. Different ways to use it are unlimited.

Good thing is that there is a shortcut in keyboard almost for every tool you need, makes modeling very fast with it once you learn the shortcuts. Modeling a complete car in one or two days is not a big challenge with Blender.

Edited by - M@S@ on Sep 16 2009 04:42:25 AM Go to Top of Page

MudFox

USA
144 Posts
Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  6:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit MudFox's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
hey M@S@ can you set up render scenes in blender with studio lighting and what not? you know vray and the such

Go to Top of Page

M@S@

Finland
265 Posts
Posted - Sep 19 2009 :  05:03:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Yes, you can use set up vray and other lighting things. There is large scale of lighting settings and different kinds of ways to set up lights.

Many features in Blender are still under development, and so are many of the lighting things too.

Here is something about the Vray you wanted to know about:
http://www.vray.com/vray_for_blender/

At this site, you can find information about most of the things. Here is link for gallery, which gives some kind of reference about that what you can do with Blender.
http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/

Edited by - m@s@ on Sep 19 2009 05:12:51 AM Go to Top of Page

MudFox

USA
144 Posts
Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  01:58:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit MudFox's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
nice renders..wasn't sure if it had plugins or not i tried it once and wasnt fond of the setup so i just stick to 3dsmax but it looks like a great application and its free

Go to Top of Page

M@S@

Finland
265 Posts
Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  10:36:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Hehe ,yes .

If you already have own 3DS Max, and you are already used to use it, then might be better to continue using it, instead of changing program and practicing all again.

Go to Top of Page

upretirementman
Test Driver

USA
2794 Posts
Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  5:06:47 PM  Show Profile  Send upretirementman an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
But what about getting smf into and out of 3DS Max?
It already done for Blender!

M@S@

Finland
265 Posts
Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  08:29:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
He can do that with Zanonza Modeler, if he is a Windows user.

Go to Top of Page

upretirementman
Test Driver

USA
2794 Posts
Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  10:09:06 AM  Show Profile  Send upretirementman an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
OK, I don't know what you're doing!
Why talk someone out of learning something better?
Is it not our lot in life to improve our education by new stuff?
Besides latter, in the next 6 month, a new version of Blender is coming where you can setup Blender screens to look just like 3DS Max's screens and duplicate 3DS Max's key presses! Why not get a head start now to learn Blender ways?

BigDOGGe
Administrator

USA
16540 Posts
Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  4:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Why fix something that isn't broken?

Judging by the quality of many releases here, Zmod is more than adequate for making vehicles for EVO2. I love the way I can do most tasks with my mouse, instead of having to memorize key commands, and it has many features and utilities you may be unaware of.

I think Blender is great only because it finally gives our MAC users a modeling program for making cars. That's why I appreciate your tutorials so much.

I mean, you say "Normally if you have the texture image already in place before you import the .smf file, it will texture it for you automatically!", but that only applies to models like the F&F cars that were already mapped, right? The mapping details are already stored in the model data.

Zmod does that too, except you load the texture AFTER loading the pre-mapped model. Blender can't automatically texture a new, unmapped car model because it would have no idea what goes where. No modeling program does that.

Anyway...

Speaking of making EVO2 vehicles on Apples, whatever happened to your Testa Rossa? I was looking forward to seeing that here someday. Ever finish it?

--> PC problems? Visit KC's ELITE COMPUTERS website for solutions <-- click here Go to Top of Page

upretirementman
Test Driver

USA
2794 Posts
Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  10:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Send upretirementman an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I need to work on the map for it as I don't have one yet. Probably use Gimp to make a blank texture and then copy and paste as many photos that I can squeeze onto it. From then on, I need to select the faces that pertain to one of the photos and map those onto the texture map and move them in correct positions and size and rotation onto it.

Actually I need to get back to Xcode and try to compile the editor for Macs. I have been concentrating on that for a few days already. The truck stuff is pretty much done, now on to the track construction/modification work!

BigDOGGe
Administrator

USA
16540 Posts
Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  10:35:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Don't know if it applies to blender, but I find it easiest to break my model into separate model objects (hood, roof, left cab side, tailgate, etc...), then map each separately. Zmod makes it pretty easy. sizing, warping and individual or group selection and moving/scaling/rotating of each pixel of the mesh can be done with simple mouse actions.

Sometimes I can just select the faces I want to map and make a mapping mesh of them without model disassembly too. Depends on the task and complication of the model design.

Making the texture file is usually easy for me. it's matching the model to photo textures that's a chore, since the shape of the model rarely matches the real thing exactly, and some photos are slightly distorted with a fish-eye effect ( only photos shot at a distance using a telephoto tend to be flat and true).

My current Ford King Ranch is an example. The tailgate shot was close-up, and so the gaps and lenses were distorted near the outer tail-light region with a curved shape instead of straight up and down like the real thing, and required warping of both the texture in P-shop AND the mesh in Zmod. That's why it took me hours to do the back section , as seen in the PROJECTS thread.

--> PC problems? Visit KC's ELITE COMPUTERS website for solutions <-- click here Go to Top of Page

upretirementman
Test Driver

USA
2794 Posts
Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  5:58:06 PM  Show Profile  Send upretirementman an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Here's the texture ( 512 x 512 ) which I had put together for my Ferrari Testa Rossa 250:

Do you have any suggestions of what I need to include?

Here is a photo of texturing the body:

for a close up;
Fpics/20653_Texturing_the_body.jpg.FP

A more complete textured view:

Edited by - upretirementman on Sep 24 2009 6:12:53 PM Go to Top of Page

~M.O.B~Jeepy84
Test Driver

USA
3268 Posts
Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  6:50:30 PM  Show Profile  Send ~M.O.B~Jeepy84 an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Looks like you need a rear-end shot, without fish-eye effect, and the one picture in the upper right showing the hood at an angle probably isn't going to be too useful for mapping as it was for modeling.

"...vicious, but in an amusing way. Like a shark with a funny hat." Go to Top of Page

upretirementman
Test Driver

USA
2794 Posts
Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  11:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Send upretirementman an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
And how about a side view too. Isn't there a way to put the top and sides and ends all in one photo connected?

~M.O.B~Jeepy84
Test Driver

USA
3268 Posts
Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  07:06:57 AM  Show Profile  Send ~M.O.B~Jeepy84 an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Hmm, yeah, might need one of those too.

"...vicious, but in an amusing way. Like a shark with a funny hat." Go to Top of Page

M@S@

Finland
265 Posts
Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  11:02:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
quote:

OK, I don't know what you're doing!
Why talk someone out of learning something better?
Is it not our lot in life to improve our education by new stuff?
Besides latter, in the next 6 month, a new version of Blender is coming where you can setup Blender screens to look just like 3DS Max's screens and duplicate 3DS Max's key presses! Why not get a head start now to learn Blender ways?

Learning new stuff is a very good thing, and if he has interest to start learning Blender, then of course he should give a go for it. If he is happy with 3DS Max and does not have interest to move on other programs, that's fine too.

Maybe then when his 3DS license is about to run out, he could consider moving on open source Blender.

About shortcut key thing: In blender you can also many things with mouse if you want to, shortcuts only save time. But actually, that's true that all tools aren't available as clickable button, but those tools that are commonly used on ZM, those should be.

Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator

USA
16540 Posts
Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  11:05:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
quote:

And how about a side view too. Isn't there a way to put the top and sides and ends all in one photo connected?

yes, a good side view is necessary, but it doesn't need to be attached to any other. It's easier to map the sides and top separately.

upretirementman
Test Driver

USA
2794 Posts
Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  12:03:00 PM  Show Profile  Send upretirementman an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Yes I would map them separately. I thought it was preferable to have them in close proximity just for the convenience of mapping. Then you do not have to have right and left sides on there, just flip the mapping on the texture map? Would not that reverse any text to be mapped onto your model?

Previous Topic Fast & Furious Pack in Blender! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

KC's Evo2 Place

KC Vale

Go To Top Of Page