Q&A  -  
HELP!
=VEHICLES=
Download
  Reviews
    Upload
  Q&A  -  
HELP!
KC's Store   Tracks: FREE - RCG - Random - Models UP - Down   Vehicles: FREE - Random - Search/Sort Turbo
   12/12/2017   5:18:29 AM     
  CHAT  Nobody in Chat

REGISTER or enter your Username &
Password:
and
Save Password

Forgot your Password?

Forums Page
 Truck Making Q&A
 Wicked Monster Truck in Blender 2.60a
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Wicked Monster Truck in Blender 2.60a Next Topic  
upretirementman
Test Driver

USA
2794 Posts
Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  4:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Send upretirementman an instant message  Reply with Quote
I have always been able to get the truck into Blender 2.60a, but not texture it as it was designed to be. I've been searching all over the place for some ways to do it. There seems to be a assignment process that game designers use to texture objects with precise assignments that are called "STICKY".

This uses the vertex UV location on the texture map to assign textures to the model. Two locations are used to locate a pixel on the UV Map. One horizontal and one vertical. U is the left/right horizontal and V is the top/bottom vertical. These two are stuck on the texture map for each vertex on your 3D model. There are more ways to do this, but you have to use the same one that the smf file calls for, and that is the "STICKY" method.
I had to tell Blender to use the "STICKY" method to assign to the texture map.

There is a switch to turn on in the "mapping" panel, in the "textures" Window:

There is the "influence" panel also in the "textures" Window. This is where the illumination settings are, that are also in the SMF file on the same line as the map name. Since almost all SMF files have the same setting for in game use, we don't need to change them, but you can, to change the stock illumination in game:

Having said that, I need to add this "STICKY" selection process to my smf_import.py and my smf_export.py scripts. I know how to do it by hand, but takes a few minutes to complete the whole model. It's not that difficult to learn. I used the smf_import.py script to get the truck into Blender (not textured automatically). It appears white all over.

1. click on the part's mesh icon in the center window (Outline Window) to select it in the Edit Mode in the 3D Window where the truck is shown.

2. Go to the Image Window and click the "a" key to select the "STICKY" coordinates that are displayed there. They will be highlighted now. You then need to click on the texture map icon to make it visible. This assigns the texture to those highlighted items.

3. Move your mouse to the 3D Window again and press the "TAB' key again to get back into the "Object Mode" again.

4. Press the "a" key again to deselect your newly textured part!

5. Back in the "Outline Window" do the same thing over and over until you have all the parts textured.

Pretty soon your "Wicked Monster Truck" will look like mine:

Afterwards I rendered a view with the Open GL Renderer:

By the way, you can render it with a transparent background if you want:

One last render of the back of the truck:

Now to get on with modifying the scripts!

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, if you can figure that out!

Edited by - upretirementman on Nov 05 2011 11:01:53 AM

BigDOGGe
Administrator

USA
16540 Posts
Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  6:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Looking good. You've done a lot with "2-Wicked" in Blender.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits -- Albert Einstein Go to Top of Page

upretirementman
Test Driver

USA
2794 Posts
Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  09:41:05 AM  Show Profile  Send upretirementman an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
It appears that Blender 2.60 has separated the normals and uvs from the mesh and now assigned to Materials instead, that's why I cannot texture it automatically upon import. Some more learning to do, I guess. I was wondering why I could not assign the normals and uvs to the mesh with the script.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, if you can figure that out! Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Wicked Monster Truck in Blender 2.60a Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

KC's Evo2 Place

KC Vale

Go To Top Of Page