Q&A  -  
HELP!
=VEHICLES=
Download
  Reviews
    Upload
  Q&A  -  
HELP!
KC's Store   Tracks: FREE - RCG - Random - Models UP - Down   Vehicles: FREE - Random - Search/Sort Turbo
   11/23/2017   7:08:43 PM     
  CHAT  Nobody in Chat

REGISTER or enter your Username &
Password:
and
Save Password

Forgot your Password?
 Forums Page
 Truck Making Q&A
 Making Custom Dirt Files w/ Photoshop and PSP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Page: 
of 3
Author Previous Topic Making Custom Dirt Files w/ Photoshop and PSP  Next PageNext Topic  
Stuck Throttle
Proliferate Poster

1031 Posts
Posted - Nov 15 2001 :  12:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stuck Throttle's Homepage  Send Stuck Throttle an ICQ Message  Send Stuck Throttle an instant message  Reply with Quote
Hope this helps anyone who hasn't already figured out how to do the dirt file ofor custom trucks. And If you want to do it in PSP7, scroll down to MOB Warrior's post

Step 1. Open you truck's bmp file in PhotoShop. Make it greyscale (IMAGES/MODE/ GRAYSCALE).

Step 2. Choose Filter/Stylize/Find Edges

Step 3. Make an alpha channel If you do not already have one.

Step 4. Copy the top channel and paste it to the alpha channel. Should look like this so far.

Step 5a. Convert it to 24-bit, 16 million color mode (IMAGES/MODE/RGB COLOR)

Step 5b. Go back to the top channel and make it whatever color you want your dirt to be. I choose brown. Obviously you would need to turn it back to RGB color mode.

Step 6. Once your color is added, switch mode to Indexed Color.

Step 7. Now switch to the alpha channel. Any place that is shadded to white will have dirt. The lighter white you go, the darker/more dirt you have. This is what I do.

You are now done. you have a 256 color dirt file. Save as Truck_D.tif. That "Truck" files is obviously the name or your truck's SMF file. You only need one fro smf trucks. It works the same for tire files. But if you are using a bin tire, you will need to make one for each art file that the BIN uses.

Edit: Hey KC, do the image tags have to be lower case? That seemed to be the only way I could get the images to show.

Keep the channel open.......

Edited by - Stuck Throttle on Feb 01 2002 5:18:49 PM

Stuck Throttle
Proliferate Poster

1031 Posts
Posted - Nov 18 2001 :  3:53:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stuck Throttle's Homepage  Send Stuck Throttle an ICQ Message  Send Stuck Throttle an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Thanks to Bam and Outback for letting me know about this. When you are naming the _D.tif file make sure it matches that of your smf file model name. Sorry to anyone who has used this tutorial and was having trouble.

Keep the channel open.......

Edited by - Stuck Throttle on Nov 18 2001 3:54:26 PM Go to Top of Page

Speedster

USA
114 Posts
Posted - Nov 21 2001 :  4:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Speedster a Yahoo! Message  Send Speedster an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
hey would u know how to do it with paint shop pro 6 because i dont have photoshop

"Need Assistance E-Mail Me At bubsalot@hotmail.com" Go to Top of Page

Stuck Throttle
Proliferate Poster

1031 Posts
Posted - Nov 22 2001 :  05:11:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stuck Throttle's Homepage  Send Stuck Throttle an ICQ Message  Send Stuck Throttle an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Nope. Got no clue. If you can view the alpha channel, I'll make it for you so you can edit it to your likin.

Keep the channel open....... Go to Top of Page

Speedster

USA
114 Posts
Posted - Nov 22 2001 :  09:29:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Speedster a Yahoo! Message  Send Speedster an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Does anybody know how to make alpha channels in psp6 or anything because if so plz help me do what stuck throtle did, thanks for your help stuck throttle.

"Need Assistance E-Mail Me At bubsalot@hotmail.com" Go to Top of Page

Maverick_GZ

USA
18 Posts
Posted - Nov 24 2001 :  10:30:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Ok...I have no concept of what the alpha channel does, care to explain? To me it kinda looks like a mask. Also, I've bee looking in my copy of PSP4 and I can't find anything to do with alpha channels, even when using the help. I think if I understood what this alpha channel is and what it does and how to get it from my bmp, I'd understand this tutorial alot better, lol. Anyone who helps, thanks.

Go to Top of Page

~M.O.B~vp~Dusty

USA
80 Posts
Posted - Dec 11 2001 :  01:08:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit ~M.O.B~vp~Dusty's Homepage  Send ~M.O.B~vp~Dusty an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Sorry to bring up this topic again, but im havin a bit of trouble, im using photoshop 6.0. On step 4 listed above, how do i 'copy' the channel to paste it on the alpha channel? (i go to 'edit' but i cant select 'copy')

Thanks in advance...

Go to Top of Page

Stuck Throttle
Proliferate Poster

1031 Posts
Posted - Dec 11 2001 :  02:58:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stuck Throttle's Homepage  Send Stuck Throttle an ICQ Message  Send Stuck Throttle an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Make sure you have the "selection" tool selected. its the one in the top left. the outlined box. Right click the pic and select "select all"

~M.O.B~Warrior
Native Customs

USA
1247 Posts
Posted - Dec 13 2001 :  10:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~M.O.B~Warrior's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
OK , alphas in psp6 . First , it's kinda backwards from photoshop , but don't let that scare ya' (lol) . I got this together converting evo1 fords to evo2 . The best starting point here is the opa file . It is a map of where everything is (hood , windows , doors , etc.) . Make a bmp from the opa . If this is a custom , use Stuck Throttle's "find edges" filter (it's there) to make an "opa" like bmp file . Now , open your opa (or new) bmp , and open your real art bmp at the same time . Up both to 24 bit (16 million colors) . Now make the opa greyscale then back to 16 mill. Now key on your opa (same as windows , just click in it anywhere to make that window active) . Now keystrokes , Masks/New/From image . Now a box "make mask from" , Choose "sorce luminance" , OK . Now go , Mask/ save to alpha , OK , it will ask for a name . I just OK what is there (something#0) & it works . Now your new alpha should've been in the "preview" box . All you should see now is a slightly shaded checkerboard pattern . Now you have to delete the mask (your alpha will still be there) , go , mask/delete , Brings up a box "merge mask with current layer?" Ok I've done both here , couldn't tell the diff . Both worked fine , so you choose (or experiment!!) . Now that the mask has been deleted , your done with this one . Just go to your REAL art file & key on it . Go to edit/copy . Now key on your new file (W/alpha) and go edit/paste as new layer . This will lay your art file over your new alpha channel . Now go Layers/Merge/Merge all (flatten) . Decrease colors to 256 , and save as "yourtruck".tif . This is for the main art file . Study some real game files for the _d.tif (dust) and _bump.tif (reflections) . Hope this helps . If anyone sees anything wrong here , PLEASE Post it here cause I just got this thing together . Believe me I will welcome the help!!

~M.O.B~Warrior

B.T.W.looks good Dusty

Edited by - ~M.O.B~Warrior on Dec 13 2001 10:20:27 PM Go to Top of Page

Kyle^

159 Posts
Posted - Dec 20 2001 :  4:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Kyle^ an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
My Dirt won't work for some reason?

its just after step 7.. when i save it it makes the .tif file just brown.. and the dirt won't show up in the game!? not sure why?

It won't show up for some reason.. even if i set the dirtiness=4 it still won't work!?

If I sent the files to someone.. could they do it for me?
Or tell me whats wrong?

Edited by - kyleeden on Dec 20 2001 9:37:06 PM Go to Top of Page

Stuck Throttle
Proliferate Poster

1031 Posts
Posted - Dec 21 2001 :  04:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stuck Throttle's Homepage  Send Stuck Throttle an ICQ Message  Send Stuck Throttle an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
sure

Krazy
Proud American

USA
2877 Posts
Posted - Feb 01 2002 :  2:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Krazy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Image links are dead.

Stuck, if you can, get those images hosted on a reliable server and then edit your post to get them showing again.

This is a good tutorial and will benefit people more if they can also see the visual aspect of what you're talking about.

Thanks!

of Team NKA Go to Top of Page

1BADZ71
Better than Anth

USA
1343 Posts
Posted - Mar 20 2002 :  2:29:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit 1BADZ71's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I have photoshop 5.0 Limited Edition. how do i make the alpha channels?my only options in the window where you have "channels" (bottom right hand corner) is layers. is this because it is the "Limited Edition", or do i have to change something to get that? thanks in advance

Beautiful, Just Beautiful... Go to Top of Page

Stuck Throttle
Proliferate Poster

1031 Posts
Posted - Mar 20 2002 :  4:21:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stuck Throttle's Homepage  Send Stuck Throttle an ICQ Message  Send Stuck Throttle an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I think the LE does not support Alpha Channels. But if it does, you should just be able to click View/Show Channels at the top.

******** direction="up" scrollAmount=1'' style="height:15">Stuck Throttle*********> Go to Top of Page

1BADZ71
Better than Anth

USA
1343 Posts
Posted - Mar 20 2002 :  4:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit 1BADZ71's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
it doesnt have it

1BADZ71
Better than Anth

USA
1343 Posts
Posted - Mar 29 2002 :  9:51:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit 1BADZ71's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
this site doesnt support warez. it may work, but it is not right, and companies make money off of selling stuff, not from shared programs

AzZKikR
Proliferate Poster

USA
943 Posts
Posted - Apr 26 2002 :  09:40:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit AzZKikR's Homepage  Send AzZKikR an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
wow thanks warrior... I've been trying to figure out alpha's in paint shop pro 7 for some time now... this helps a lot. It's much easier in Adobe Photoshop... which by the way I now have Adobe Photoshop 7.0 and it's great. So much easier than paintshop but i find it helpful to be able to use both programs.

Go to Top of Page

VisionHawk
Proliferate Poster

USA
1011 Posts
Posted - Apr 26 2002 :  10:50:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit VisionHawk's Homepage  Send VisionHawk a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Photoshop 7 is out already? Crap, better start saving some money...

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US Go to Top of Page

RedSnapper

Indonesia
780 Posts
Posted - Apr 26 2002 :  10:47:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Good tutorial there, ST.
Well, I just used alpha channel of my high detail _BUMP then modify it.
Resize it to 128 x 128.
Then open any of the existing _D file (from DUST.POD)
Select All, then Copy it.
Paste it paste it on the resized _BUMP file.
Delete the _BUMP layer.
Then switch to Indexed Color.
Save it as (put the name here)_D.tif
And you're ready.
Here's my dirty truck:
Nissan Pathfinder Pack

So, Go to DOWNLOAD Page

-ReD $n4pPer-

"Rules are good. Break Them!" Go to Top of Page

RedSnapper

Indonesia
780 Posts
Posted - Apr 26 2002 :  10:51:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Oh, and I use Adobe Photoshop 6.0 in making this dirt file.

-ReD $n4pPer-

AzZKikR
Proliferate Poster

USA
943 Posts
Posted - Apr 27 2002 :  09:58:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit AzZKikR's Homepage  Send AzZKikR an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
LOL, no wonder i could never find default trucks' dirt files... they're in a seperate pod... silly me. Stuck thottle helped me with my S10 a few weeks back, and I just use the dirt texture he made for me, (just because i know it works) then i edit how i want for my new truck and save it under a different name. Until I eventualy figured out how to make them from scratch.

I try to get away as easy as possible, if you use a .tif with the alpha channel allready made... well, guess what, you don't have to make it... just like redsnapper, i paste the dirt i've created over another tif's image, then i play with the opacity so the trucks details still show, but instead of deleting a layer, i just flatten the layers making sure the DIRT is the top layer.

I leave my _D files as 512x512 and they work.

This is also with adobe photoshop 6.0

Edited by - AzZKikR on Apr 27 2002 09:59:10 AM Go to Top of Page

RedSnapper

Indonesia
780 Posts
Posted - Apr 27 2002 :  2:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
No, never make dirt file 512 x 512!
Why? Try it in Low Detail mode.
You'll find it al screwed up.
So, dirt files MUST be 128 x 128.

-ReD $n4pPer-

AzZKikR
Proliferate Poster

USA
943 Posts
Posted - Apr 27 2002 :  10:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit AzZKikR's Homepage  Send AzZKikR an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I noticed on the last couple trucks i released... but actually the last couple trucks i've uploaded were my first 2 trucks for evo2. I've done a lot of truck making in Evo1, and just recently learned how to deal with the new evo2 formats. I say "oh well" for those last 2 trucks, I know not to make that mistake in the future ; ) thanx red

Go to Top of Page

RedSnapper

Indonesia
780 Posts
Posted - Apr 28 2002 :  12:08:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Hope no one played with low detail mode .

-ReD $n4pPer-

AzZKikR
Proliferate Poster

USA
943 Posts
Posted - Apr 28 2002 :  07:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit AzZKikR's Homepage  Send AzZKikR an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
heh... well you don't have too... i noticed it in the replays when the truck gets so far away it autmoatically switches to low detail model & textures and like you said, it looks like an unmapped model. lol

Go to Top of Page

AF~JustPlaneFast

USA
359 Posts
Posted - May 02 2002 :  6:27:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit AF~JustPlaneFast's Homepage  Send AF~JustPlaneFast an ICQ Message  Send AF~JustPlaneFast a Yahoo! Message  Send AF~JustPlaneFast an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
photo shop 5.0 limited edition does support alpha channels well atleast my limited edition does ia am working on dirt files right now with it

When you see a fork in the road, don't go left or right, it means someones been there before. You should go up the middle. That's where the adventure is. Go to Top of Page

CMRmember-Jeff
FTR_Jeff

USA
3468 Posts
Posted - May 18 2002 :  9:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Send CMRmember-Jeff a Yahoo! Message  Send CMRmember-Jeff an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Anyone know if I can create dirt files with the program I have? It's Adobe PhotoDeluxe. It has layers and all that. But I haven't found anything about alpha channels, or any kind of channels.

<--My RiDe--- A.T.V-|C|-Jeff Go to Top of Page

4x4dude

USA
89 Posts
Posted - Jun 15 2002 :  12:03:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Are there any other programs that I can
use? Cause I don't have either one. Go to Top of Page
Stuck Throttle
Proliferate Poster

1031 Posts
Posted - Jun 15 2002 :  2:55:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stuck Throttle's Homepage  Send Stuck Throttle an ICQ Message  Send Stuck Throttle an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
If you can find one that lets you veiw Alpha Channels.

******** direction="up" scrollAmount=1'' style="height:15">Stuck Throttle*********>Knowlege aquired without discipline is nothing....
Go to Top of Page

Bubba_DOA
Got Hemi?

USA
1074 Posts
Posted - Jun 15 2002 :  5:16:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bubba_DOA's Homepage  Send Bubba_DOA an ICQ Message  Send Bubba_DOA a Yahoo! Message  Send Bubba_DOA an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I still can't get this stuff. I have PSP7 and tried for like an hour and still couldn't get it to work. I don't remember all the errors there were but one was something about "...:5" and another was sayin something was corrupt.

COWBOY UP
What if it really DOES take a Rocket Scientist to figure it out?
Go to Top of Page
SPEED
Jaju

USA
1292 Posts
Posted - Jun 15 2002 :  7:18:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I don't know which is messed up. I have a car ingame but it just quits out when I try to buy/view it. No error or anything. I have the bump and dirt files in, but I don't think they are done right. Any help on making bump files? I have them 'embossed' but I can't turn them blue. And on the dirt files.. do I just open up the TIF and make the dirt file out of that?

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Making Custom Dirt Files w/ Photoshop and PSP  Next PageNext Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

KC's Evo2 Place

KC Vale

Go To Top Of Page