Q&A  -  
HELP!
=VEHICLES=
Download
  Reviews
    Upload
  Q&A  -  
HELP!
KC's Store   Tracks: FREE - RCG - Random - Models UP - Down   Vehicles: FREE - Random - Search/Sort Turbo
   12/12/2017   12:44:58 PM     
  CHAT  Nobody in Chat

REGISTER or enter your Username &
Password:
and
Save Password

Forgot your Password?
 Forums Page
 Truck Making Q&A
 Painting with Layer Masks - A Tutorial
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Page: 
of 2
Author Previous Topic Painting with Layer Masks - A Tutorial  Next PageNext Topic  
VisionHawk
Proliferate Poster

USA
1011 Posts
Posted - Aug 06 2002 :  12:30:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit VisionHawk's Homepage  Send VisionHawk a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This tutorial will show you how to make crisp colors while keeping the gradients and shadows of the original texture.

This works for Photoshop and for this tutorial, I'll be using version 6. Versions 5, 6, and 7 are virtually identical except that toolbars may be in different locations. Also, I will not go into doing this with Paint Shop Pro (PSP) because I don't know jack about PSP. Not to say that it won't work with PSP or that PSP is a bad program, I'm just saying I'm completely ignorant when it comes to PSP.

OK, with that said, let's get started. I'm going to be using the Nissan Frontier Desert Runner texture for this tutorial. However, the techniques described will, of course, work with any texture.

1.) Open your texture in Photoshop. What you should have is a 512x512 .Tif file in Indexed color mode.

2.) Go to Image-> Mode and select RGB Color. Now go to Layer-> Duplicate Layer. It will ask you to name the layer. You can if you want to or you can leave it at default which will be "Background copy". Your layers window should now look like Image 2. Make sure that there is a little paintbrush icon to the left of the thumbnail of the top layer. This means that the top layer is selected

3.) Now go to Image-> Adjust-> Desaturate. Your image will change to grayscale but if you notice in your layers window your bottom layer will still be its original color.

4.) Now you have a couple of choices. If you want black, gray, or white graphics, then use Image->Adjust->Levels until you get the right color you need. For the sake of this tutorial, I'm going to use color graphics so this is how that is done in detail.
Go to Image-> Adjust-> Hue/Saturation. You will get a box that looks like the image below:

Now, click the box marked "colorize" and make sure the box marked "Preview" is already checked (if not, check it) and adjust the sliders untill you get a color you like. Watch your image in the main drawing window. It'll look kind of weird but that's OK. I'll be making a nice dark red color, like so:

Once you've got a color you like, click OK

5.) Now that we've got a color, make sure that the top layer is still the one selected (remember, the selected layer will have the little paintbrush icon next to it in the Layers window) and then go to Layer -> Add Layer Mask -> Hide All. The top layer, the one you worked so hard on, is now gone! Not really. If you'll notice in your Layers window, your colored layer is still there but next to it is a completely black square.

Continued in next post

Visit my art gallery!
http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=VisionHawk

VisionHawk
Proliferate Poster

USA
1011 Posts
Posted - Aug 06 2002 :  12:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit VisionHawk's Homepage  Send VisionHawk a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
6.) Now for the fun part! Change your brush color to pure white (the RGB value will be 255,255,255). Now with whatever tool you like and with the top layer's mask selected (if it is not selected, just left click once on the little black square next to your colored top layer) paint your design. Anywhere you paint on the truck with pure white will allow the masked layer's color to come through. For example, painting this design on your layer mask:

Will give your image in the main window this look:

Keep painting till you get what you like. Remember: white draws and if you need to erase just change your paint color to black and paint over it.

7.) Now that you've got your design, you may want to keep your truck color changeable but you don't want your graphics to change. (If you don't want your truck color-changeable you can skip this step). Right click on your top layer's mask and select "Set Selection to Layer Mask". A nice, crisp, moving, dotted line will appear around your freshly painted graphics.

Now, switch to you Channels window and select the alpha channel. You'll notice that your selected area stays put.

Select the dropper tool and left click on one of the gray areas of the alpha channel. This will change your paint color to the color you click on. Switch to the paint bucket tool and paint the selected area. When you’re satisfied, click on Select-> Deselect. What you end up with should look like this:

8.) Switch back to the Layers window. Right-click on the layer mask and select “Apply Layer Mask”. Now go to Image-> Mode and select “Indexed Color Mode”. Photoshop will ask if you want to flatten all layers. Click OK (If you don’t, you can’t switch to Indexed Color Mode). You’ll now have a dialog box wanting you to select options for Indexed Color. The default options should be good enough for Evo 2 so just click OK again.

9.) Now, save your image as “truckname.tif” and you’re done!

This may seem a bit complicated at first, but once you’ve done it a couple of times, you’ll fly through these steps!

Visit my art gallery!
http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=VisionHawk Go to Top of Page

1BADZ71
Better than Anth

USA
1343 Posts
Posted - Aug 06 2002 :  12:40:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit 1BADZ71's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
that is so sexy....lol, thanks for finally makin this tutorial. i can model like tommorrow isnt coming, and can paint...well, nevermind. thanks, now there shouldnt be any more questions for me (ive gotten a few) or really to anyone else about painting

Beautiful, Just Beautiful... Go to Top of Page

VisionHawk
Proliferate Poster

USA
1011 Posts
Posted - Aug 06 2002 :  12:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit VisionHawk's Homepage  Send VisionHawk a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
What happened to the pictures??? They WERE working.

Visit my art gallery!
http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=VisionHawk Go to Top of Page

Redline

198 Posts
Posted - Aug 06 2002 :  1:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Redline's Homepage  Send Redline an ICQ Message  Send Redline a Yahoo! Message  Send Redline an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Here's a STUPID question for ya... How does this help with painting? I know it's stupid, but, i would like to learn how to paint like you vh, and, i don't have any idea what to do with multiple layers. Sorry if it's stupid.

Go to Top of Page

1BADZ71
Better than Anth

USA
1343 Posts
Posted - Aug 06 2002 :  1:47:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit 1BADZ71's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
read the tutorial, since it explains EVERYTHING, lol

Beautiful, Just Beautiful... Go to Top of Page

VisionHawk
Proliferate Poster

USA
1011 Posts
Posted - Aug 06 2002 :  2:17:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit VisionHawk's Homepage  Send VisionHawk a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
quote:
Here's a STUPID question for ya... How does this help with painting? I know it's stupid, but, i would like to learn how to paint like you vh, and, i don't have any idea what to do with multiple layers. Sorry if it's stupid.

This doesn't help you learn how to paint designs, but it will help you in applying different designs without losing the detail. (I see a lot of people using the paint bucket tool on their images with poor results, this is an alternative to that). As far as learning how to paint? Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, and read a good book. And then maybe practice a little. I've been doing graphic design in some form or another for about 7 years now.

Visit my art gallery!

OffRoadTerror

USA
156 Posts
Posted - Aug 06 2002 :  6:49:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit OffRoadTerror's Homepage  Send OffRoadTerror a Yahoo! Message  Send OffRoadTerror an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Hey VH i got a question what tool did you use to do those straight lines the closest i get is the pencil and i cant even get it close to looking right

well i tried and here is my first try at a paintjob

i dont think its half bad since i couldnt piant worth a hoot before

Paintballers - Got More Balls Than Any Other Athlete Go to Top of Page

VisionHawk
Proliferate Poster

USA
1011 Posts
Posted - Aug 06 2002 :  7:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit VisionHawk's Homepage  Send VisionHawk a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
To get straight lines, I use the polygonal lasso tool or the rectangle marquee to select an area and then fill with the paint bucket. You could also use the line tool.

Edit - fixed a typo

Visit my art gallery!
http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=VisionHawk

Edited by - VisionHawk on Aug 06 2002 7:15:44 PM Go to Top of Page

OffRoadTerror

USA
156 Posts
Posted - Aug 06 2002 :  9:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit OffRoadTerror's Homepage  Send OffRoadTerror a Yahoo! Message  Send OffRoadTerror an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
see the deal is VH i cant fing the bucket tool or the line tool but i did fing the lasso but i havent seen what it does yet
ive only had photoshop6 for about 1 month

Paintballers - Got More Balls Than Any Other Athlete Go to Top of Page

AndyGTA

USA
293 Posts
Posted - Aug 06 2002 :  10:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit AndyGTA's Homepage  Send AndyGTA an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
VH .. You let out your big secret ... Heh .. O well he told me a while ago and im still working on getting it JUST riiight! So far I have come a long way from the first time I tried ... Even though this example does not show the detail the model started with, I know it works for a fact! Here is a pic of my latest paint creation!

"When all else fails hit it with a hammer!"

"What is victory if the prize is too easy to obtain?"

Go to Top of Page
Stuck Throttle
Proliferate Poster

1031 Posts
Posted - Aug 07 2002 :  04:13:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stuck Throttle's Homepage  Send Stuck Throttle an ICQ Message  Send Stuck Throttle an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
OffRoadTerror: The bucket is in the same area as one of the others. Right click each tool and you'll find it somewhere in there.

<
Go to Top of Page

VisionHawk
Proliferate Poster

USA
1011 Posts
Posted - Aug 07 2002 :  05:06:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit VisionHawk's Homepage  Send VisionHawk a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
The bucket is in the same space as the gradient tool. You either right click the tool or left click and hold to see the other options. The line tool is in the shapes (probably a rectangle by default). You'll notice that most of the tools have a little triangle beside them. This means that there are more tools under the ones you see.

Visit my art gallery!

Go to Top of Page
OffRoadTerror

USA
156 Posts
Posted - Aug 07 2002 :  3:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit OffRoadTerror's Homepage  Send OffRoadTerror a Yahoo! Message  Send OffRoadTerror an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
ya well i figured that out but i click on all the things and the bucket isnt under any of them

but i did find all the other stuff
thnx a ton VH

EDIT::: never mind i found the bucket

Paintballers - Got More Balls Than Any Other Athlete

Edited by - OffRoadTerror on Aug 07 2002 4:01:28 PM Go to Top of Page

AndyGTA

USA
293 Posts
Posted - Aug 07 2002 :  5:14:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit AndyGTA's Homepage  Send AndyGTA an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Heres a update of my work ... Thanks VH It made me a better vales citizen ... BTW On the hood is a recreation of an Alienware grile .. Heh ...

"When all else fails hit it with a hammer!"

"What is victory if the prize is too easy to obtain?"

Go to Top of Page
its me

23 Posts
Posted - Aug 31 2003 :  11:16:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
this may make me sound like a retard but this is comlicated i dont et it is there a simpler way ?

Go to Top of Page

BigDOGGe
Administrator

USA
16540 Posts
Posted - Sep 01 2003 :  12:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
quote:
is there a simpler way ?

If there were, then everyone would be painting like this, and few would have any appreciation of it..

Painting textures is an artistic skill that must be learned and developed over time.....Some folks will learn faster than others. If you work slowly and follow his instructions carefully, you will get the method down.

quote:
ive only had photoshop6 for about 1 month

That says a lot....it can take years of practice and learning techniques to get as good as some of the artists here......just do the best you can, and take your time....if you have the talent within you, it will emerge, and the cool trucks will come....

-->Art is not a mirror held up to reality, but a hammer with which to shape it.
Go to Top of Page

Andrewko
Useless Poster

Fyro Macedonia
689 Posts
Posted - Sep 01 2003 :  3:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Andrewko's Homepage  Send Andrewko an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
When I had my Photochop trial working and I did this pretty easily. Follow the directions very closely and you'll get it.

Krazy Kreations: Where common sense is a disability... Go to Top of Page

sk8erb2b

USA
129 Posts
Posted - Sep 01 2003 :  6:00:36 PM  Show Profile  Send sk8erb2b an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Nice tutorrial, but as I can't afford a new Photoshop, I'm running 4.0 LE. All was going well, but I can't figure out how to make a layer mask. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Edit: If it's impossible I can always send it to my Mac with Photoshop 6, but I would rather not if it's avoidable.

I have a need for speed... unfortunately, it's becuase I lack it.

Edited by - sk8erb2b on Sep 01 2003 6:06:08 PM Go to Top of Page

Skyline.sd.

Canada
471 Posts
Posted - Sep 02 2003 :  9:58:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I don't know, i still can't paint like this while keeping the gradients because doing the thing with white never works for me. Oh well, this is only one of the tons of ways to paint.

Why send a Ford to do a Chevy's job?? ...Cuz a Ford will actually get the job done. Go to Top of Page

kevin_john_sanders
CHEVROLET MAN!

USA
409 Posts
Posted - Sep 02 2003 :  10:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit kevin_john_sanders's Homepage  Send kevin_john_sanders a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Thanks VisionHawk This helps Alot! (P.S. Im printing this page!!!!)

Got Chevrolet? Go to Top of Page

El Tarzano
Modeling Dork

USA
387 Posts
Posted - Sep 03 2003 :  6:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
This is the best tutorial I have seen for painting, again thanks VH.

TaRzAn...bringing cars to evo
Proud member of Team TTO Go to Top of Page

CMRmember-Jeff
FTR_Jeff

USA
3468 Posts
Posted - Sep 07 2003 :  11:20:50 AM  Show Profile  Send CMRmember-Jeff a Yahoo! Message  Send CMRmember-Jeff an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Wish I would have found this awhile ago. I consider myself an ok painter, but the way I do it lacks the detail and smoothness of a VH paintjob. I'll have to try this way a few times, thanks VH.

Go to Top of Page

kevin_john_sanders
CHEVROLET MAN!

USA
409 Posts
Posted - Sep 08 2003 :  01:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit kevin_john_sanders's Homepage  Send kevin_john_sanders a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Oh God this guys good have you seen his work man Vision Is an understatement Man YOU ROCK VisionHawk!!!
Thank you for your wonderful contributions to this game your an A+ in my book

Got Chevrolet? Go to Top of Page

VisionHawk
Proliferate Poster

USA
1011 Posts
Posted - Sep 08 2003 :  06:10:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit VisionHawk's Homepage  Send VisionHawk a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Thanks guys. Glad to see it's helping some of you.

Go to Top of Page

sk8erb2b

USA
129 Posts
Posted - Sep 08 2003 :  2:38:43 PM  Show Profile  Send sk8erb2b an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
I got around to putting the textures on my comp wth photoshop 6 and wow. It's not all that hard. Thanks for writing such an easy to use tutorial VH!

I have a need for speed... unfortunately, it's becuase I lack it. Go to Top of Page

Skyline.sd.

Canada
471 Posts
Posted - Sep 08 2003 :  4:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
Hmm... could it not work for me because i have photoshop 7?? If it is then i'll be hoppin over to ps6... probably keep 7 too though... and psp8..

quote:
Versions 5, 6, and 7 are virtually identical except that toolbars may be in different locations.

Wow, after reading this around 20 times, you'd think i'd see that eh? But it could still be a possibility..

You might be a redneck if you turn a corvette into a mudbogger.

Edited by - ToP~ultima on Sep 08 2003 5:03:13 PM Go to Top of Page

DrifterB2W
Test Driver

USA
1445 Posts
Posted - Sep 08 2003 :  5:36:07 PM  Show Profile  Send DrifterB2W a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
yes this is a very good tutorial and you definetly get my thank VH.
i used this tutorial to paint my 'Feral' Ram, i will hopefully use it for things to come aswell.

Proud Member of Team NKA."The End of All Things to Come, The Beginning of All Things to End" Go to Top of Page

CMRmember-Jeff
FTR_Jeff

USA
3468 Posts
Posted - Sep 08 2003 :  9:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Send CMRmember-Jeff a Yahoo! Message  Send CMRmember-Jeff an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
quote:

Hmm... could it not work for me because i have photoshop 7?? If it is then i'll be hoppin over to ps6... probably keep 7 too though... and psp8..

quote:
Versions 5, 6, and 7 are virtually identical except that toolbars may be in different locations.

Wow, after reading this around 20 times, you'd think i'd see that eh? But it could still be a possibility..

You might be a redneck if you turn a corvette into a mudbogger.

Edited by - ToP~ultima on Sep 08 2003 5:03:13 PM

I use Photoshop 7 and this works fine on it. You must be doing something wrong.

Go to Top of Page

mike14
MÜЙ

Canada
196 Posts
Posted - Sep 12 2003 :  11:53:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
i was wonderen for theese tutorial's to work do u have to put them on the smf file or somthin?

like with that note pad thing?

GOT MUD? Go to Top of Page

CMRmember-Jeff
FTR_Jeff

USA
3468 Posts
Posted - Sep 13 2003 :  10:08:05 AM  Show Profile  Send CMRmember-Jeff a Yahoo! Message  Send CMRmember-Jeff an instant message  Reply with Quote  Reply WITHOUT a Quote
You do all the painting on the .tif files. The .smf files don't really have anything to do with this tutorial.

Go to Top of Page

Previous Topic Painting with Layer Masks - A Tutorial  Next PageNext Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

KC's Evo2 Place

© KC Vale

Go To Top Of Page